By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Must see game : ps3's japan savior?

Cool looking game, but nothing can stop Nintendomination in Japan. I mean Nintendo has such a monopoly in Japan in the gaming market right now, that even Square Enix software is struggling. Quite a grapplehold Nintendo has right there now which is both great for them, and bad for anyone else.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
NJ5 said:
makingmusic476 said:
MGS 1-3 all sold 800k+ in Japan, not including Substance, Subsitence, etc. How is that not big?

They didn't (check out the game database). They sold a fair share of units, but MGS is certainly not a series which can save a console in Japan.

I did check out th game database. Out of the 3, MGS sold the least, at 798k units.

Edit: I meant 780k units. MGS 2 and 3 sold 850k and 860k respectively.

So, in lifetime sales, the games didn´t reach > 1 million, if by any change, no MGS lover has bought a PS3, we can only expect 800k games + 800k PS3 lifetime in Japan, just for this game... right???

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
HappySqurriel said:
makingmusic476 said:
MGS 1-3 all sold 800k+ in Japan, not including Substance, Subsitence, etc. How is that not big?

It is number 26 on the list of PS2 games in Japan, and games that outsold it (Dynasty Warriors, Everybody's Golf, Gran Turismo 4: Prologue, and Pro Evolution Soccer) have already been released and sold dramatically worse than people expected.

MGS 2/3 are 23rd and 24th on the list.  GT4P is 26th.

Also, if you add in the sales of MGS2: Substance and MGS3: Subsistence, MGS 2/3 would've both topped 1 mil., pushing them higher up the list. 

Even as low as 23/34, those are still very high rankings considering how many ps2 games there are. 

NJ5 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Garcian Smith said:
Kingsora_be said:
Ok then let's forget about ZOE3 and KH3.
The release of DMC4 will hel' the PS3.

But mark my words when MGS4 is released the PS3 will start selling like crazy, that's the first huge game for PS3. Thx to the hype, mo Japanese wants to miss it, I am 100% sure.

And the games you mentioned sold good (accept VF5) but none of them were real system sellers

So Dynasty Warriors 6 and Hot Shots Golf 5 weren't "huge games," at least in Japan? How much did they make the PS3 "sell like crazy"?

EDIT: Also, what NJ5 said.

Don't forget Gundam Musou which was hyped by Sony, Koei, Namco Bandai and most industry analysts as the most important game for the PS3 in Japan until the release of Final Fantasy XIII ...

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=7223

Did they really say that?

Well the Japanese love both Gundam and Dynasty Warriors.  It should of been.  It's flop is very surprising.  Maybe due to the normal setting being too easy.  I played like a couple minutes with a broken joystick where i was repeatidly turning left and did pretty decent.  That's what different diffculty levels are for though. (If they have that)

It`s not a saviour, but defientely one of games, which will attract people, just like Folklore, i don`t think it will do more effect or atleast MUCH more. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
FJ-Warez said:
makingmusic476 said:
NJ5 said:
makingmusic476 said:

They didn't (check out the game database). They sold a fair share of units, but MGS is certainly not a series which can save a console in Japan.

I did check out th game database. Out of the 3, MGS sold the least, at 798k units.

Edit: I meant 780k units. MGS 2 and 3 sold 850k and 860k respectively.

So, in lifetime sales, the games didn´t reach > 1 million, if by any change, no MGS lover has bought a PS3, we can only expect 800k games + 800k PS3 lifetime in Japan, just for this game... right???

What? If no MGS lovers bought a ps3, then wouldn't a few hundred thousand be buying one when the game comes out? Or are you asking something different.

Also, if you include MGS2: Substance and MGS3: Subsistence, both games hit the 1 mil. mark.

The only game that can save the ps3 in japan is dragon quest X.

leo-j

the PS3's savior is not this game

it is :

YAKUZA 3

I bet the PS3 will outsold the Wii at the release of this game
(if the review are too bad, if it is not Lair I mean)

Time to Work !

makingmusic476 said:
FJ-Warez said:

What? If no MGS lovers bought a ps3, then wouldn't a few hundred thousand be buying one when the game comes out? Or are you asking something different.

Also, if you include MGS2: Substance and MGS3: Subsistence, both games hit the 1 mil. mark.

If I understood hist post correctly, he's talking about a best case based on the previous games.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Soriku said:
Zucas said:
Cool looking game, but nothing can stop Nintendomination in Japan. I mean Nintendo has such a monopoly in Japan in the gaming market right now, that even Square Enix software is struggling. Quite a grapplehold Nintendo has right there now which is both great for them, and bad for anyone else.

Not really. Seeing as how DQS--an on-rails DQ spin-off--has sold 500k+ units, AND has outsold EVERY PS3 AND 360 game released there.

I disagree with that.  DQ and FF are huge brandnames in Japan, and I think Square simply releasing them under that could push 750k with all games under it.  Especially on DS.  DS is where you've been seeing a lot of Square Enix games underperform.  Really given the userbase of DS in Japan and Square Enix's popular brand appeal to the Japanese base, I think ever DQ and FF game on the DS should go platinum in Japan alone.  At least this would have happened until Nintendo obtained such a huge dominance.  Now its the other way around.