By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is this the smartest thing Sony has ever done?

Tagged games:

I generally think that Sony are mad concering some of the choices they make, but the Magic Box is reprting that Sony is offering some interesting incentive for buying digital copies of games from PSN rather than heading to a store to pick up hardcopies.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/ 

The Magic Box reports that:

Sony has launched a new campaign called PSN Day 1 Digital, which allows retail releases to be added to the PlayStation Store on the same day. Eight titles will be in this campaign, and PS Plus subscribers gets 10% discount on selected titles, the game titles are ...

• Resident Evil 6 (Oct 2) - $59.99
  • NBA 2K13 (Oct 2) - $59.99 ($53.99 for PS Plus pre-order)
  • Dishonored (Oct 9) - $59.99 ($53.99 for PS Plus pre-order)
  • DOOM 3: BFG Edition (Oct 16) - $39.99 ($35.99 for PS Plus pre-order)
  • 007: Legends (Oct 16) - $59.99
  • Medal of Honor: Warfighter (Oct 23) - $59.99
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Oct 30) - $59.99 ($53.99 for PS Plus pre-order)
  • Assassin's Creed III (Oct 30) - $59.99

Now I live in a country where it's always difficult to get hardcopies of games, never mind having to get them shipped. So, if I can get my games on Day 1 at a discount, then this move from Sony, I think, really is smart one, especially for people like me.

So, do you agree that this a smart move by Sony? Do you prefer digital copies of games or hardcopies, or you can do both? Is digital d/l games the future?

Da Rev

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

Around the Network

no...because PS+ is :p

Join the poll
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=148028&page=1

And sure if you don't have any other means, but do have fast uncapped internet available, why not use it.
10% discount won't sway me when I can get a 50% discount by trading it in towards the next game.

oops, didn't know this was old news.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

People will complain and say the 10% off isn't worth PS+, but this is just "added" icing on the cake. Ppl bitch about everything, Sony should just take away the discount and see them bitch and moan more. Yah I think it's a good move

Around the Network

No it's not particularly smart, it's an obvious move. And it's only for PS+ members. They need to lower the price more, and for all people. In the UK a lot of the titles on the store are actually more expensive than retail copies, which is just crazy.

Andrespetmonkey said:
No it's not particularly smart, it's an obvious move. And it's only for PS+ members. They need to lower the price more, and for all people. In the UK a lot of the titles on the store are actually more expensive than retail copies, which is just crazy.

well, that's mostly because UK retailers have crazy discounts, which makes UK copies of games crazy cheap

Lafiel said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

well, that's mostly because UK retailers have crazy discounts, which makes UK copies of games crazy cheap

That's not a good excuse. Steam sells games cheaper, why can't PSN?