By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft: Wii U Is The Most Innovative System On Earth

Oops.

Or any other planet, for that matter

Ubisoft's Jean-Phillipe Caro has lavished praise on Nintendo's new Wii U console, giving it the lion's share of the credit when it comes to explaining ZombiU's positive pre-release reception.

Speaking to ONM, Caro said:

I think we are making something fresh with the most innovative console. The Wii U is the most innovate system for the moment on Earth. We didn't have to make a big innovation on our side - it was all here on the system so that was easier for us.

It's always nice to hear developers talking in such glowing terms about new hardware. Do these positive comments make you even more excited for the release of Wii U? Let us know in the comments section.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/09/ubisoft_wii_u_is_the_most_innovative_system_on_earth

Around the Network

You made me look up ZombieU. Looks pretty cool, to be honest. Some of the Wii U controller functions were nifty. Touchpad to enter numbers is a good use, obviously, and it makes combining stuff much easier. However, a lot of it was kind of gimmicky, or stuff you could do with a button press on another controller. Not saying most of it was bad, just that it's rather inconsequential, which means it's not exactly revolutionary. Things like sonar can be put on mini-maps, for example--which I would probably prefer, actually, since it means you don't have to look away from the screen. Shaking the controller is something I've always hated, as well; reminds me of how Sony tried to push it into games early in the PS3's life-cycle. Pressing a button to shift you into infrared or sniper mode works just fine as it is.

Nothing in the trailer I watched was especially innovative. That's not bad, as it looks like a solid game, it's just that none of it made me overly excited or surprised.

Personally, where the Wii U would really grab my interest would be with a game that could better mimic PC games that are designed to have a lot of unique button press functions. A game like World of Warcraft, for example, where Blizzard said console controllers simply don't allow enough access to the vast number of abilities you have, I think that's an area where the Wii U could do something no other console can. Imagine if you could add another ten buttons or so on the pad, that would go a long way in increasing variety in RPGs. Something like that would pique my interest a lot more than most of the uses I've seen thus far.

pokoko said:
You made me look up ZombieU. Looks pretty cool, to be honest. Some of the Wii U controller functions were nifty. Touchpad to enter numbers is a good use, obviously, and it makes combining stuff much easier. However, a lot of it was kind of gimmicky, or stuff you could do with a button press on another controller. Not saying most of it was bad, just that it's rather inconsequential, which means it's not exactly revolutionary. Things like sonar can be put on mini-maps, for example--which I would probably prefer, actually, since it means you don't have to look away from the screen. Shaking the controller is something I've always hated, as well; reminds me of how Sony tried to push it into games early in the PS3's life-cycle. Pressing a button to shift you into infrared or sniper mode works just fine as it is.

Nothing in the trailer I watched was especially innovative. That's not bad, as it looks like a solid game, it's just that none of it made me overly excited or surprised.

Personally, where the Wii U would really grab my interest would be with a game that could better mimic PC games that are designed to have a lot of unique button press functions. A game like World of Warcraft, for example, where Blizzard said console controllers simply don't allow enough access to the vast number of abilities you have, I think that's an area where the Wii U could do something no other console can. Imagine if you could add another ten buttons or so on the pad, that would go a long way in increasing variety in RPGs. Something like that would pique my interest a lot more than most of the uses I've seen thus far.

That is a really great idea, pokoko. I hadn't thought of that. RTS games and RPGs would work great on the GamePad.

It's really nice to see Ubisoft throwing their support behind Nintendo. Ubisoft has released many great titles in the past ten years, and I expect many more to come. Now just give us Beyond Good & Evil 2 :)

That watchdogs game is simply match-made in heaven for Wii U.

They really should port it. Don't know if the game is for me... but Ubisoft could really go wild with the pad.