By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - “Still millions” of potential Wii customers, says NoA boss

VG247

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime expects the Wii to continue selling even as the company prepares to launch its successor.

“The broad marketing for the Wii is not going to change. The Wii is focused against today the late adopter, the consumer who is spending $149 or less to have a gaming experience,” the executive told Forbes.

“And we believe – not only in the US but through all of the Americas – there’s still millions of these types of consumers available. So it’s a sizable opportunity. But that’s a different consumer than who is going to look at the Wii U and get excited by the latest graphical capabilities, all of the services that are included, and new types of games. We see these as two different market opportunities.”

Fils-Aiume acknowledged Sony’s use of a similar tactic, in maintaining interest in the PS2 for years along side the PlayStation 3.

“They’ve done a phenomenal job, and they have been able to address different marketing over time, to build an incredibly large install base,” he said.

“We believe that the Wii system, similarly, will keep selling for quite some time. They’re going to be different addressable markets, not only from a US perspective but from a global perspective… [but we'll] hopefully continue to drive sales at a historic rate.”

The Wii U launches in November.

Thanks, GoNintendo.

Around the Network

Of course it will. Every year it get's millions 2-3 I think.

Nothing in correct about the statement he isn't saying it's going to be be beast seller so trolls can calm down.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Well, two million units sold still falls under the "millions" category, and the Wii will most definitely sell that much before its inevitable resignation. Reggie provided a pretty empty statement, to be honest. But hopefully they will succeed in selling the Wii in new markets. And even if not, there's still room for a global price cut.

I'll say about 105 million lifetime sales for the Wii seems realistic.

If they catered to other markets as well Wii could reach 120m - but they really have to launch it in eastern Europe and South America then....

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

ninetailschris said:
Of course it will. Every year it get's millions 2-3 I think.

Nothing in correct about the statement he isn't saying it's going to be be beast seller so trolls can calm down.

@bold. Already on the defensive.

@OP.

Reggie said: (on the PS2 and Sony)

They’ve done a phenomenal job, and they have been able to address different marketing over time, to build an incredibly large install base,” he said.

Here is a smart business man, one who is able to look at what his competition does right and tries follow it. This is very business wise.

Around the Network

If Nintendo didn't give up on it, they could achieve even more sales.
When in stores I see a lot of people walking around the Wii shelves, checking prices and contents of the packs. People still think about getting the Wii, they don't mind the "old tech".
Though, backwards compatibility of the Wii U might attract even more people.

I think they should just do it. NoA should start releasing in South America, NoE in Eastern Europe and NoJ in China (which NoJ had already done couple of times before). What's to lose?

Maybe that'll get the Wii to at least 120m and the DS to like 180m .

What do you guys think about a new $99 price tag? Do you think it will happen? I'm sure that would move a bunch of units.

Well they need to start releasing games for it if they want to keep selling millions per year.

I'll still have my wii in use