By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U GPU Type CONFIRMED! Custom AMD E6760!

Keep playing your specs folks. I'll play games instead. Also, the E6760 is 2010/11 tech.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network
lilbroex said:

There is a difference between numerical performance comparisons and graphical results. Everyone is factoring "out" the fact that it uses modern technologies that are simply impossible on the older hardware components that they are trying to retroactively compare it to.

The numerical on paper performance and what they GPU can actually output on screen are two completely different things. Its like saying that because two boxes(one filled filled with tools (one with old wooden tools and the other filled with dynamic stainless steel modern tools) and supplies weigh the same, that the potential of the wooden tools is the limit of the steel tools.

Showing numbers is one things. What is done with those numbers is another. You can't do Tesselation on a 7800GT or 8800 GTS or use shader modal 5.0 features.

Benchmarks are good for very rough performance ranges, but don't necessarily suggest what you can achieve with the cards ...

As you mentioned Tessellation is an important factor. In theory, you could achieve similar visual results to most HD console games while rendering 25% to 50% as many polygons because a large portion of the polygons do not contribute significantly to the images produced. The reason for this is that the average 3D model that is being rendered is at a higher level of detail than can be displayed on the portion of the screen they represent.

I think the following is a good demonstration of what I'm talking about:

The close up characters are (probably) 10 times the size of the Banjo Player, who is (probably) almost 10 times the size of the far guy walking up the stairs. While many game engines have some form of Level of Detail system, few can actually render the nearest characters at a high enough detail or the middle and far characters at a low enough detail to really use detail efficiently without Tessellation.

With the next generation of graphics engines, I would expect hardware of the same (rough) performance level to produce graphics which were more detailed simply because there was less detail wasted where it couldn't be seen.

Barozi said:
Lafiel said:

this chip would be a good step up from Xenos/RSX, but by todays graphic cards offerings it's low end

for comparison, the E6760 is almost the same as the GPU on the Radeon HD 6670: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6670/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6670-overview.aspx#2

both have 480stream processors but that one is clocked at 800MHz, so it does 768Gflops, while the E6760 (at 600MHz) does 576Gflops

the HD 6670 card is about as good as the HD 4850 in the comparison I found (it largely depends on the games used in those), but as I said the E6760 clocks 25% lower so expect it to be perform a bit less than that

So still far worse than the GPU I bought 3 years ago (4890)...
Hope it's not true.

4890 is a really good card though, It's still viable even in 2012 with high settings in more taxing games, and really really power hungry.

Lafiel said:

this chip would be a good step up from Xenos/RSX, but by todays graphic cards offerings it's low end

for comparison, the E6760 is almost the same as the GPU on the Radeon HD 6670: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6670/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6670-overview.aspx#2

both have 480stream processors but that one is clocked at 800MHz, so it does 768Gflops, while the E6760 (at 600MHz) does 576Gflops

the HD 6670 card is about as good as the HD 4850 in the comparison I found (it largely depends on the games used in those), but as I said the E6760 clocks 25% lower so expect it to be perform a bit less than that

Apparently you missed the part where it would be custom and perform better than the counterparts.  That's cool though.

pezus said:

So nothing too unsurprising really. 

not at 75W peak no, even if this is debunked, I wouldn't be surprised if the graphic power level in the final Wii U release is not much different or even higher than a E6760. It seems that Nintendo is taking technology that's proven and customizing everything as usual like the past so even if they use the same process to create the parts, it wouldn't be a Power 7 CPU or it might not be a Radeon 6xxx series but customized and created using the same die process and power consumption since there are so many instructions not needed for a gaming console and so many can be added in for extra performance.

Around the Network

So, really, we still know nothing eh?

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Captain_Tom said:
TheSource said:

This is what Nintendo has always done really save for Wii.

NES was a super computer...by 1982 standards when it came out in 1985.

SNES was a super computer...by 1989 standards when it came out in 1991.

N64 was a super computer...by 1994 standards when it came out in 1996.

GC was a super computer...by 1999 standards when it came out in 2001.

Wii was a super computer...by 2000 standards when it came out in 2006.

Wii U is a super computer...by say, 2009 standards when it comes out in 2012.

Nintendo's model assumes profitable hw + mass consumer adoption + strong internal games = massive profit. Wii came at the most difficult time in Nintendo's history so they spent less on hw than usual

Wrong!  Wii U is a super Computer by 2007 standards.  I could build you a PC now for $400 that easily performs better than the Wii U.  

You're wrong.  OK, your task is to build a computer for 400 dollars, that can play modern games at 1080p, with at least 30 fps on high and stream the game to a second monitor.  I doubt for 400 dollars that you can do it.  Oh and its power draw has to be under 90 watts.

I'd be happy with this if true. Obviously Nintendo's priorities are not to make a console that costs $500 to mass produce and sucks 180-200W along with being the size of a truck.

But this would be a good deal more powerful than a 360/PS3 and it would have a lot more modern GPU feature set (it's a 2011 GPU).

For a lot of Japanese devs this would probably be all the power they want and for some Western studios too. Not everyone is going to be able to afford expensive PS4/720 development IMO.

If you got a machine that can produce graphics better than The Last of Us, to me that's not the worst thing in the world. Especially in the hands of a developer like EAD Tokyo or Retro, that's going to be a monstrous upgrade from the Wii.

lilbroex said:
TheBardsSong said:
This would be a lot easier if Nintendo just came out and confirmed all the specs. I think the fact they don't want to talk about it tells us it might not be what we hope.

Its something they have done for over a decade. It tells us nothing other than that they are stilling doing things that same way.

I remember having concrete facts on what the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, and even Wii's CPUs were clocked at.

TheBardsSong said:
lilbroex said:
TheBardsSong said:
This would be a lot easier if Nintendo just came out and confirmed all the specs. I think the fact they don't want to talk about it tells us it might not be what we hope.

Its something they have done for over a decade. It tells us nothing other than that they are stilling doing things that same way.

I remember having concrete facts on what the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, and even Wii's CPUs were clocked at.

Nintendo never released any information on the Wii's hardware ...