By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Vita's Japanese Holiday Schedule - PS All Stars Battle Royale to be a hit in Japan!

This is Vita's whole holidays (nov-dec) line-up:

• Assassin's Creed Liberation
  • Playstation All Stars
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted
  • Fate Stay/Night [Realta Nua]
  • Atelier Totori Plus
  • AKB 1/153 Love Election

Frankly, that's very weak sales wise.

1. Assassin's Creed is growing in Japan, but won't ever have that Japanese appeal
  2. Need for Speed will not be big on PS3 and will be micro on Vita
  3. Fate Stay is a port of a PS2 game, did ok back then (130k FW 180 LTD), but I don't see it being big anymore. It's not in evidence (manga/anime) as before too.
  4. Atelier Totori, same reasons. Won't be huge.
  5. AKB 1/153 - The best selling game so far... but its on PSP, which will sell the best for sure, and releases right before christmas (12/20th) not pushing the sales at all before that.

That leads to my question... is this a majorly stupid release strategy (it is), or there are some things we don't see behind the curtains?

I'm talking about PS All Stars.

We know Smash Bros is madly popular in Japan. Just look at Gamecube graphs before and after that game + N64 and Wii sales. No mystery here. I'm not saying it will be this big... but is Sony counting on PASBR becoming a hit there? Does it has a chance of keeping the flame alive this year? I'm starting to think it'll be bigger there than most people seen to think. Definitely the biggest game this holidays.

PS3 version could really hurt it, though. But maybe, since PS3 release schedule is packed, it can become more popular on vita. And the characters don't help also, but at least there's some somewhat japan-oriented characters there as well, like Toro, Heihachi, Raiden and Spike.

What you think, does it has a chance of saving this release schedule? Can we expect a big push from Sony in japan for it?

Around the Network

Ye there's a chance it could be, but they need to have more characters that the Japanese crowd are more familiar with and more interested in. I've never really played final fantasy but I know it's big in Japan so PASBR could probably use some characters from there, and more from metal gear solid- solid snake, big boss, vamp etc

thehusbo said:
Ye there's a chance it could be, but they need to have more characters that the Japanese crowd are more familiar with and more interested in. I've never really played final fantasy but I know it's big in Japan so PASBR could probably use some characters from there, and more from metal gear solid- solid snake, big boss, vamp etc

Yeah, Final Fantasy would really help the game. 1 Cloud = 100k more sales there minimum, imo. Maybe there's still some news on that front, but after TGS it'll be doubtful they'll announce a really BIG character... since there's no more conventions left, right? (I really don't know)

There also Ryu Hayabusa, which is somewhat popular in Japan too, he's in the game too, forgot to mention. And rumors for Crash, which is still the biggest Sony IP in japan, bar GT.

IMO, it depends on this Saturday's reveals. If Cloud, Sora, or even Noctis(I can dream, right?) are up in the game, the yeah, it will sell OK. Toro is already there, and Japanese ppl like him lol

LET'S GO KNICKS

Don't count out Fate/Stay game (in terms of not being as popular) as Fate/Zero just aired and was wildly more popular than the first season of Fate/Stay Night.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

The character rooster doesn't really appeal to the Japanese gamers, but since this is a similar game to Smash I could see this being a moderately successful game over there.

Kinda of topic: what do Japanese gamers think of this game? Do they think it's a ripoff of Smash Bros. like a lot of people here in the west or are they a little more excited? I'm asking this since I never heard anything about the "controversy" of this game in Japan and the gamers responses.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Meh lineup.

Honestly, I have no idea how All-Stars will do. It will be interesting to watch. Getting both copies with the PS3 version might actually push Vita sales somewhat. My only concern is that the Japanese might stay away from a fighting game developed in the west.

Also, one minor note: The Fate universe is still extremely relevant in Japan, with the Fate/Stay Night movie in 2010 and the Fate/Zero anime series just wrapping up.

outlawauron said:
Don't count out Fate/Stay game (in terms of not being as popular) as Fate/Zero just aired and was wildly more popular than the first season of Fate/Stay Night.

How much you expect it to sell? I'm really not familiar with the series.

pokoko said:
Honestly, I have no idea how All-Stars will do. It will be interesting to watch. Getting both copies with the PS3 version might actually push Vita sales somewhat. My only concern is that the Japanese might stay away from a fighting game developed in the west.

Also, one minor note: The Fate universe is still extremely relevant in Japan, with the Fate/Stay Night movie in 2010 and the Fate/Zero anime series just wrapping up.

Yeah, that west part is also a concern from me. There are some exceptions to this "rule", I'm counting on this game being one.

BTW... same question I asked outlawaron, how much you expect Fate/Stay to sell. Releases Nov 29th... already a hot date. Coicidentally same date as Layton vs Ace Attorney