By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony. Why U no pricecut?

Bad move with no pricecut?

Yes 100 61.35%

No 49 30.06%

Wut? 14 8.59%

Total:163

Why is Sony not cutting the PS3 price? Are they not interested in slowing the WiiU momentum, at all?

Or is it that they can't afford a pricecut due to all the massive loses across all branches?

Around the Network

Sony probably feel they don't really need to cut the PS3's price. Quite a lot of the early adopters to a system are die hard fans, they won't be interested in a PS3 even if it is cheaper, so they decided just to make some extra cash by keeping the system at the same price (which Sony REALLY need).

answer #1 they expect the retailers to set the price (they saw nintendo do that in eu)

answer #2 the ps3 is the only sony product doing well at this moment

The reason why Sony's price cuts are so effective is that everyone expects them so they wait for them. Effectively the sales slow down because people wait for the price cut so Sony is forced to cut the price, a vicious cycle. Sony probably wants to break out of that mould of peoples expectations.

Tease.

Business-wise, it's a good move. Sony want to maximize their profits. A new generation is approaching and they need all they can get to start strong. Besides, we all saw how the 360 S did without a price cut

Around the Network

They need the munniez

1. Easy Money while they transition to next gen

2. They can effectively compete with the wiiU as is

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Ps3 still has a potential 4 years left.

I don't understand why people expected a price cut. I've seen people post complains that it is 6 year old hardware and that and that it should be below $200. I don't see it this way. The price is fair for what it offers. If you can't afford $250 dollars, then don't buy it; Just like an Iphone. If you can't afford the $500 dollars for a new version, and a $100 a month phone bill then don't buy it. Why should I be begging/pleading Apple to lower its price? Let the market decide if Sony's pricing  for this new iteration was correct or not.

Since the name "Wii" has never competed with the "PS3" why would the Wii u?