By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Prototype-SR Video Demo - Looks Great!!

Is this the future of gaming?

Yes 29 70.73%

No 11 26.83%

Other 1 2.44%

Total:41

they should have made it first with him seeing that real woman giving him the hand and then after a second changing to the virtual reality thing to show the woman transforming in the zombie, showing him the zombie touching his knee and the real woman should have touched his knee at the same moment, damn that would be a shocker

Around the Network

Wouldn't it be obvious what's real? I only see 1 camera on the front of the SR prototype, can't be 3D. Maybe the test video wasn't 3D either?

This could be awesome in an amusement park, I'm not so sure about at home though. The zombie hiding behind the same coffee table every time is going to get old soon.

A HD Occulus rift is closer to the future of gaming. That camera on the front can be useful to warn you not to walk into your furniture, although a Kinect like solution is probably better suited for that purpose.

SvennoJ said:
Wouldn't it be obvious what's real? I only see 1 camera on the front of the SR prototype, can't be 3D. Maybe the test video wasn't 3D either?

This could be awesome in an amusement park, I'm not so sure about at home though. The zombie hiding behind the same coffee table every time is going to get old soon.

A HD Occulus rift is closer to the future of gaming. That camera on the front can be useful to warn you not to walk into your furniture, although a Kinect like solution is probably better suited for that purpose.

Yeah one camera no depth -_-

Hmmm the vid is a tad misleading then...but i still like the idea...they should just add another camera :?

I havent read much about all this VR head mount stuff...so im really clueless about it all. I was just really impressed by the vid. How is the HD Occulus Rift thing different/better? Ive seen some video of it...but yeah nothing stood out for me.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:
SvennoJ said:

Hmmm the vid is a tad misleading then...but i still like the idea...they should just add another camera :?

I havent read much about all this VR head mount stuff...so im really clueless about it all. I was just really impressed by the vid. How is the HD Occulus Rift thing different/better? Ive seen some video of it...but yeah nothing stood out for me.

The Occulus rift boasts a 90 degree horizontal field of view, while this SR prototype is based on the HMZ-T2 with a 45 degree horizontal field of view. The Occulus rift also has built in head tracking, although only rotational in the current prototype.
The HMZ-T2 wins in resolution at the moment with full 1280x720 per eye, the occulus rift only has 640x800 available per eye.

The bigger the field of view, the better the immersion factor, but the resolution is still a bit low. An HD cosumer version would be nice. However you can already buy the HMZ-T2, the occulus rift is still in the development stage.

SvennoJ said:
Shinobi-san said:
SvennoJ said:

The Occulus rift boasts a 90 degree horizontal field of view, while this SR prototype is based on the HMZ-T2 with a 45 degree horizontal field of view. The Occulus rift also has built in head tracking, although only rotational in the current prototype.
The HMZ-T2 wins in resolution at the moment with full 1280x720 per eye, the occulus rift only has 640x800 available per eye.

The bigger the field of view, the better the immersion factor, but the resolution is still a bit low. An HD cosumer version would be nice. However you can already buy the HMZ-T2, the occulus rift is still in the development stage.

I remember reading somewhere that the SR Prototype is different from the MHZ-T2. Greater field of view and different display tec. Urgh i probably read wrong or it was just the wrong info. The video is very misleading then as i got the feeling he had a much wider view than the previous 45degree as seen in the HMZ-T2.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
SvennoJ said:

I remember reading somewhere that the SR Prototype is different from the MHZ-T2. Greater field of view and different display tec. Urgh i probably read wrong or it was just the wrong info. The video is very misleading then as i got the feeling he had a much wider view than the previous 45degree as seen in the HMZ-T2.

I can only find news about the camera being added to the existing model. It does seem more then 45 what the camera films in that small room but who knows how the person actually sees it in the visor.

For total immersion you'll need about 150 degrees horizontal field of view per eye. If you want to get the same detail as you're used to now, 720p at no more then 30 degrees horizontal field of view, you'll need at least 6400x3600 resolution per eye.
A more obtainable mid term goal could be 3840x2160 (aka 4K) per eye for the occulus rift. I would buy a 1080p version already though.