By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think raw power is really important on next gen console (PS4/720)?

I mean, I have a PC with GTX 580. Not the fastest one maybe, but it fast enough to play almost every PC games in maximum setting. The point is, i don't see much difference between the best graphic on PC than on PS3/360.

So, if Sony/Microsoft double or triple the power of their next gen console (maybe using GTX 680/ATI 7970 level video card) I think the most beautiful game that they can create is the same as the most beatiful PC game right now, which is not much difference. No chance they can make huge difference like last gen (PS2 to PS3 or Xbox to 360). 

What do you think?

BTW sorry for my english, i'm not native.

Around the Network

It's in the eye of the beholder? We all have different standards I guess. You say you can't see much of a difference between max setting pc games and PS360 games, but I see a vast difference between PS360 games and games running on my mid-range PC.

Also, a GTX 580 on a console would be more effective and will be able to produce better visuals than a GTX 580 on a PC, so keep that in mind. What can be done on PC can be done on console for less.

Deegan said:

I mean, I have a PC with GTX 580. Not the fastest one maybe, but it fast enough to play almost every PC games in maximum setting. The point is, i don't see much difference between the best graphic on PC than on PS3/360.

So, if Sony/Microsoft double or triple the power of their next gen console (maybe using GTX 680/ATI 7970 level video card) I think the most beautiful game that they can create is the same as the most beatiful PC game right now, which is not much difference. No chance they can make huge difference like last gen (PS2 to PS3 or Xbox to 360). 

What do you think?

BTW sorry for my english, i'm not native.

I think the main problem with current PC games is that they are just ports of the console games and most of those engines are still current gen console engines. You'll see more of a difference with Crysis 3 and that new Metal Gear game and others once the new unreal engine becomes mainstream. High end pc's right now are grossly under captilized on cuz the old engines.

I think it will matter to then but not as much, it seems that Microsoft is more interested in evolving their Kinect because that makes them unique and if it plans to include one with every new console (as the rumors suggest) they have to remove around 100 dollars from raw power to pay for the device, so instead of a 400 dollars pure power console, they might produce a 300 dollars power console, that if you remove the additional cost (ensambling, distribution, etc) may mean a 200 dollar components and will leave them with a console not so much more powerful than a 360 or a Wii U.

Now Sony is the wild card, they don't have anything to evolve, and they can't afford a big lose on every unit they sell, so unless they come up with something unique by themselves their play is pure power but selling the console without losing money. So maybe a 400 dollar pure power console, so about 300 dollars of components, that will be a more powerfull console than a Wii U by 5-6 times and more powerfull than a 720 by 2-3 times, the problem will be then Are the developers willing to make games that take advantage of the extra power or will they use the lower common denominator (as in previous generations) to reduce production costs?

The only thing i want to see improved grafix wise are the aliasing and fmerate issues, is the only thing that ruins the experience

Around the Network

In the end raw power doesn't mean much. You just need enough power and have a streamlined hardware to make it easier to program for and to minimize bottlenecks. Because since you are not running a bloated OS with multiple API layers the games can be optimized to run on the hardware since there is no difference in one console to the next one of the same type. (Ignoring differences in storage) And since you are optimizing for specific hard ware you can learn to program for the Hardware layer so you can make the hardware do newer tricks that it wasn't originally made for.

Well, I think that we're not going to be only pushing for better graphics, more power can be applied for higher Anisotropic Filtering, shading and better dynamic shadows. I think 8xAA is all we need but more time may go into dynamic animations and other things to make the games feel more real and believable. It's also true that a console would have no background programs straining it, so all that raw power goes straight to the game. I'm fine with my PS3's visuals now and if anything I'd rather have much more dynamic gameplay, or even more realism. I hope Microsoft will buckle down with a Blu-Ray drive & disc or make their own like Nintendo has with the Wii U, because DVD is only holding us back. With newer 8x read-speed Blu-Ray drives, there will be no need for installing content anymore; so you can pack up a dual-layer 50GB Blu-Ray and not worry at all. I do agree with the old engine statement, because even console started out on a rough patch without heavily upgraded or new engines. If you look at Call of Duty 4 and then Modern Warfare 3 the change is huge. Newer engines are making the visuals fresh and new. We'll see what happens, I don't think they're too far away.

there won't be much difference in my opinion and even if there are games that do look a lot better they will be very few and cost too much for most developers anyway.

or maybe they will just do 4-6 hour long games like the gears of war games are!

OfT: beat the third game a couple of days ago and wow was it short! I mean they could have had the entire trilogy as one game and it still wouldn't reach 20h of gameplay!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

No, games are important. PS3 and 360 sold very well because they have a vast library. That's what PS4720 need rather than the raw power.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Also it is in fact strongly dependent on newer engines. A newer engine will offer even higher texture streaming. We're not exactly close to real life with normal games such as First Person Shooters, RPGs, etc. But if you look at the racing games on the market being GT5 and Forza 4 in particular, the racing games are going to see an insanely huge transfer to very close to reality visuals.