By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is Romney the next Kerry?

After this election, Romney will be compared to...

John Kerry, poor politici... 57 67.06%

Ronald Reagan, took out a... 7 8.24%

Somebody else... 18 21.18%

Total:82

At the start of this election cycle, republicans kept trying to draw similarities between this race and the race between Reagan and Carter.  Republicans wanted to feed off of the dissatisfaction people felt with Carter and apply that to Obama.  However, as this race heats up and goes into it's final stretches, to me this race is beginning to look a lot more like the 2004 election of Bush vs Kerry than the 1980 Reagan vs Carter election.  

Now, obviously there are some pretty obvious similarities between John Kerry and Mitt Romney.  They are both Massachusets politicians that come from a great personal wealth.  They both have a history of flip flops and they similar personalities. Mitt Romney is going up against an incumbent that isn't the most popular, but is failing to make a dent in the poll numbers.  In theory, with unemployment up above 8% and a series of controversial legislative efforts on Obama's behalf, his re-election should be in jeapordy, but Obama has consistently lead in most polls.  

I think republicans were wrong on what race this is going to correlate with.  What do you guys think, is Romney the next Kerry?

Around the Network

There are huge differences and some striking similarities, excluding all policy rubbish. But there are way to many factors at play atm, neither analogy (Kerry/Bush and Charter/Regan) I think is accurate.

"Like you know"

I've been saying this since before he was the official candidate.

Though really... they didn't have a Non-Kerry Candidate.

At best they could of went with the Ron Paul gamble, and that would be a big gamble.

gergroy said:

Obama has consistently lead in most polls.

Those polls consistently oversample Democrats, though.

But yeah, Romney does have loser written all over him. Then again, so does Obama at this point. Whoever wins, it really won't have been on his own merits but rather because of the electorate's distaste for his opponent.

I hope that Romney comes away without any further presidential ambitions.
The Republican arguments have more holes then Swiss Cheese.
Not to say that the Democrats are much better- both parties lie- but the democrats have consistantly been more truthful according to fact checker.

As the founding constitution states-
Keep religion seperate from politics!

So hyped for Rome 2: Total War

Around the Network

Seems to be the right analogy to me, a case where an incumbent is controversial/only grudgingly approved by the electorate, while the opponent really has no personality, and is just the man within his party whose "turn" it was to be presidential candidate.

It'll be much more interesting seeing who rolls in the Republicans in 2016 (unless Romney can manage to pull a win). My guess is not a one of the candidates who ran this time will even try next time (Paul finally passing into the too-old threshold, but also no Rick Perry, no Michelle Bachmann, no Herman Cain, no Jon Huntsman, no Santorum or Gingrich)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Romney is just really, really bad at campaigning and not making himself look like an entitled jerk.

I mean, this campaign has been one blunder after another ever since last year. "Companies are people" "Ten thousand dollar bet", a refusal to put his tax return thing to bed IN THE PRIMARIES when most people aren't even paying attention, allowing it to be made a constant issue brought up again and again, his "foreign policy tour" blunders, his selection of a very divisive figure of Paul Ryan as his VP, whom he then forces to walk away from his policies and convictions to keep the ticket electable, his speech forgetting to acknowledge the servicemen in Afganistan, his decision to politicize the deaths of four Americans drawing ire and scorn from all sides of politics except the absolute far right fringe, and now apparently over an hours worth of footage of him crapping on half of the electorate to a bunch of rich people.

And then there's his incredible vagueness and lack of details on EVERY SINGLE ISSUE, even when pressed, his tendency to spread outright lies and falsehoods over and over again in a way I've never seen any other political campaign do so frequently, blatantly and poorly for that matter. Finally, there's the constant FLIP FLOPPING on every single issue, sometimes within days of each other!

Mitt Romney is simply a terrible politician and a terrible candidate, and it's laughable to even compare him to Kerry. Kerry had his own issues: bland, unexciting, flip flopped on the Iraqi war after it turned out unpopular, and he had no idea how to deal with the swift boating non sense. He was not very good at running for president. But he wasn't this bad, not NEARLY so. He didn't flip flop nearly as much (pretty much just on the Iraq War, perhaps a few other issues though I can't recall), and he had a core.

Mitt Romney is Michael Dukakis. Not only is the comparisan a tad more apt because he was a governor of Massachuessets, but because much like the 1988 election, this election isn't really much of a nail biter, because Dukakis just sucked at running for president. Like Romney, he was too fake looking, getting into a tank to make himself look like he'd have tough foreign policy. It will be nowhere close to the 1988 land slide, but Obama IS going to win, and he's going to win by at least a few points. John Kerry at least made the race really close, with George Bush taking the popular vote by less then a point. That's not going to happen here.

In the end, Romney's biggest problem is that he has no core. As a result, he has no convictions, no solid policies, nothing to market himself beyond "I have a history of turning companies around", something the Obama campaign has done a pretty solid job destroying with their attacks on Bain which, of course, caused Mitt Romney to begin to stop talking about his time at Bain. Much like how he won't talk about his time as governor as Massachusetts because it'll reveal how hypocritical his stance on Obamacare is (heck, he even said Romneycare should be a model for the nation!). This is also why he's going to lose in the debates, which REQUIRE him to take some sort of policy position, and where any lie he tells about Obama will be quickly refuted by Obama himself. This is what happens when you have no core and no vision, at least one that you're willing to talk about.

As a result, Mitt Romney has nothing going for him except incredibly high Obama dissastisfaction among his own base, which is pretty much his only hope to even make this a race anymore. Barring some economic disaster, absolutely nothing is going to change, and Romney is going to lose.

I voted for Kerry in the poll though. Probably should have selected "other".

badgenome said:

gergroy said:

But yeah, Romney does have loser written all over him. Then again, so does Obama at this point. Whoever wins, it really won't have been on his own merits but rather because of the electorate's distaste for his opponent.

This is what people always do when their candidate is losing: blame the pollsters.

There is no oversampling going on towards the democrats in these polls. Polling these days is an incredibly exact science that relies heavily on past trends, and typically has a very solid track record. I encourage you to just follow www.fivethirtyeight.com. They are the best polling aggregate out there, and where dead on in both 2008 and 2010. They are going to be dead on in 2012 to.

The only poll that is "over sampling" anything is Rasmussen, which over samples Republicans. Their polling methedology expects republicans to turn out +3 over democrats or independents, which has not happened once in the modern history of polling. It is this polling methedology that lead them to somehow overestimate the historic gains in 2010 (!?), and it's causing them to overestimate the republican's chances this cycle too.

Fivethirtyeight is giving us the most accurate picture here, and things aren't looking pretty for Romney. They are  only going to get worse.

badgenome said:
gergroy said:

I agree, but I would like to see the results of more honest polling ...

What with all the bullshit that comes out of Mitt's mouth even now! I think he wants to lose. If they carry on like this, I hope the libertarians (the only ones who seem to talk about their policies, rather than badmouthing the other side!) become big enough to replace the Republicans in the 2 party system of yours

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/18/romney-donors-palestinians-peace-video
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/18/romney-secret-video-government-dependent

If the US public somehow vote in Romney, people will soon realise how much better it was under Obama I bet, however unlikely I think Romney will win (not likely)

Can't wait to see how this election ends...

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

badgenome said:
gergroy said:

Why hasn't fivethirtyeight pointed that out yet? You know they adjust polls for sample consistency and likeliness to vote.