By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Ex-Rare Staffer: Exodus Wouldn't Have Happened Under Nintendo"

Tagged games:

Do you agree?

Yes 19 67.86%

No 3 10.71%

How the heck do I know!? 5 17.86%

see results 1 3.57%

Total:28
BasilZero said:
NintendoPie said:
I was playing video-games back then... but I remember seeing my brother play Banjo-Whatever and it looked extremely fun!

I wish they were still as good as people said they were.

Banjo Kazooie (or Tooie)...respect the greatest platformer game to topple Super Mario 64.

I can't remember which one it is, nor do I know how to distinguish them.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
NightDragon83 said:

The Stampers were looking to sell the entire company as early as 2000, and by then many key members of Rare had already left to form Free Radical.

Rare put out hardly any original titles during the previous generation, and this gen they've mainly concentrated on family / kid friendly titles like Viva Pinata, BK Nuts & Bolts, and Kinect Sports.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that it was all M$'s fault that they shifted their software focus soley on these markets, and that hardly any of Rare's successful IPs were touched in the 10 years since they bought them. Aside from half-assed PD and Banjo sequels, they haven't touched their vast library of IPs that could have done wonders especially during the current gen, like a new Blast Corps (imagine the destruction physics!), or a new KI at the height of the 2D fighter renaissance of the past couple of years. I mean come on, we get brand new installments of Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, even a new Marvel Vs Capcom(!!!)... but no KI?!?

Get your shit together Rare!

I feel that much like the whole golden eye legal stuff...  Rare doesn't have full ownership of Killer Instinct.

What with all the weird credits thrown around... I mean Miyamoto has a producers credit on KI. (At least the SNES verison I know he does.)

I bet Nintendo has exclusive publishing rights locked up.   KI was released before Golden Eye and before rare became a big thing and had any negotiating leverage.   (And nintendo owned part of them.)

Well Nintendo published Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark, and those were able to make their way onto the Xbox platform both in sequels AND in ports of the original N64 games.  Killer Instinct on the other hand was actually published by Midway in the arcades (in fact Midway co-developed the arcade hardware), so that's probably where the whole legal tie-up is coming from if at all.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
Kasz216 said:
NightDragon83 said:

The Stampers were looking to sell the entire company as early as 2000, and by then many key members of Rare had already left to form Free Radical.

Rare put out hardly any original titles during the previous generation, and this gen they've mainly concentrated on family / kid friendly titles like Viva Pinata, BK Nuts & Bolts, and Kinect Sports.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that it was all M$'s fault that they shifted their software focus soley on these markets, and that hardly any of Rare's successful IPs were touched in the 10 years since they bought them. Aside from half-assed PD and Banjo sequels, they haven't touched their vast library of IPs that could have done wonders especially during the current gen, like a new Blast Corps (imagine the destruction physics!), or a new KI at the height of the 2D fighter renaissance of the past couple of years. I mean come on, we get brand new installments of Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, even a new Marvel Vs Capcom(!!!)... but no KI?!?

I feel that much like the whole golden eye legal stuff...  Rare doesn't have full ownership of Killer Instinct.

What with all the weird credits thrown around... I mean Miyamoto has a producers credit on KI. (At least the SNES verison I know he does.)

I bet Nintendo has exclusive publishing rights locked up.   KI was released before Golden Eye and before rare became a big thing and had any negotiating leverage.   (And nintendo owned part of them.)

Well Nintendo published Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark, and those were able to make their way onto the Xbox platform both in sequels AND in ports of the original N64 games.  Killer Instinct on the other hand was actually published by Midway in the arcades (in fact Midway co-developed the arcade hardware), so that's probably where the whole legal tie-up is coming from if at all.

They had a bit more leverage with BK and PD which both came after Goldeneye.

It's worth noting back when there were rumors that the Mortal Kombat devs were looking at getting the rights for KI they were held up by the dual ownership between Rare/Nintendo.

Worth noting that Killer Instinct 2 was actually liscensed and published by Nitnendo... both on the 64 (As KI: Gold) AND in arcades.

Microsoft did just recently re-trademark KI though for what it's worth.

NightDragon83 said:

Rare was micro-managed *to death* by MS* so, yeah, it *is* their fault Rare never mined many of those IPs since MS had to *greenlight* (read: pay for) their development.

*This isn't even news and has been 'on background' for most of the past 7-8 years.