By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will WiiU be region locked?

^topic^ I know it's probably not important for great many people, but having own the PS3, the non region-lock nature of the console is a godsend for a fan of Japanese games... which a great deal dont' come to the west (or heavily delayed) anymore...

Around the Network

Probably. The 3DS is region-locked, as is the Wii. DS games that have no DSi capabilities aren't, but they've moved away from that strategy.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

The ps3 is not region free ... they added region lock with fw 3.55 ?
But there arent many region locked games for the ps3 (I only can name 1)

It would shock me if the wiiu is not region locked in a positive way.
But I guess its region locked.

Lusche said:

I'm not sure that's quite true.  I think (but I'm not entirely certain) that PS3 developers have always had the option to region-lock their games, but none of them actually did this until Persona 4 Arena.  And that's the only region-locked game on the system so far.

Kresnik said:

I'm not sure that's quite true.  I think (but I'm not entirely certain) that PS3 developers have always had the option to region-lock their games, but none of them actually did this until Persona 4 Arena.  And that's the only region-locked game on the system so far.

thats why there is a ? :)

I'm not sure either, but I thought I read something with the FW3.55 but nothing confirmed.

Around the Network
Lusche said:

It would shock me if the wiiu is not region locked in a positive way.
But I guess its region locked.

I thought PS3 has been region locked on its BluRay and DVD movies since the start? I dont' recall any games except P4A being region locked... The end of it all is... will I be able to play game region game on the WiiU... It sucks to be region-locked and I will never understand why in this day and age...

Lusche said:

thats why there is a ? :)

I'm not sure either, but I thought I read something with the FW3.55 but nothing confirmed.

Sorry.  Didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at you!

errorrrr said:

I thought PS3 has been region locked on its BluRay and DVD movies since the start? I dont' recall any games except P4A being region locked...

yeah the movies were locked since day one. 

I also cant name more then p4u, but there might be others out there I'm not aware of, maybe none.

Good question...

WiiU will certainly be region locked. Why? Because no Nintendo home console has ever been region free. And! The latest handheld of Nintendo the 3DS is also region locked.

So I don't see why they would want their handhelds which always have been region free (Gameboy, GBA, NintendoDS were all region free) to suddenly go region locked and at the same time to the exact opposite with their home consoles.