By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Iphone 5 vs Lumia 920

pezus said:
Scoobes said:
pezus said:
Scoobes said:

I do wonder what people do to their phones that causes this. I've heard people complain about it with both Android phones and iPhones but never experienced myself (Xperia) and frequently get messages that I'm low on space. Do you use an app killer to periodically close stuff that's taking up background resources?

I close all of my apps regularly (double tap the button -> hold finger over icon -> hit x). It still doesn't help. It's not like it's filled with crap either, mostly just music.

Thanks for the info, I've been trying to figure out how to close apps on my partners iPhone . Seems rather long winded though, isn't there a quicker way?

Anyway, is it an older iPhone that's been upgraded to a newer iOS version? I've heard a few people suggest it slows down after updating to a new iOS.

It's actually a rather quick way, as you only need to double tap and hold finger once and then you can just press x on one icon, then the next icon etc.

It's just an iPod Touch 3rd Gen

I hope you stayed using IOS4 on that. My girlfriend has the same one and she never upgraded to IOS5 because of all that she read about it causing slowdown with the touch 3rd gen.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network

Interesting write up. Now if only WP can gain acceptance in the marketplace.

I'll wait for the next-next Nexus as my Galaxy Nexus is perfect until then.

If the Lumia 920 was launching against the iPhone 24 months from now, I'd consider switching but right now, I'm moving back to iPhone after a rather sour experience with Android.

The Lumia is a technological marvel. Windows Phone 8 is beautiful. That's the good.

Now, the bad. Windows Phone has no apps. Microsoft can't get their act together and the WP7/8 debacle is just more evidence of that.

So, while WP gets its act together and builds a strong base (if that's possible), I will continue to go with other solutions. iOS does what I want. My past iPhones almost never crashed. I don't need to tweak my phone to the end of the earth; I was a sysadmin for a multi-domain corporation as a day job. I did all the "tweaking" I needed to do there and at home, I just want my shit to work. Apple provides a good solution to that and after dealing with an Android phone that crashes the UI at least three times a week (fuck you, HTC Sense), I'm more than ready to move back to a device that doesn't make me want to throw it in a river.

In short, I don't give a damn about specs. I want a phone that runs smoothly, has a multitude of apps, and doesn't fuck up several times a week. The iPhone 5 will do all of that and more.

And who wants a 5" screen on their phone? Having the option to buy one is nice but after using the One X I told my dad to buy a month ago, that screen is just too damned big. I don't want anything larger than 4.3" on my phone so a 4" screen on the iPhone 5 is just fine by me. I already own a tablet, I don't need a miniature version that makes phone calls.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:

If the Lumia 920 was launching against the iPhone 24 months from now, I'd consider switching but right now, I'm moving back to iPhone after a rather sour experience with Android.

The Lumia is a technological marvel. Windows Phone 8 is beautiful. That's the good.

Now, the bad. Windows Phone has no apps. Microsoft can't get their act together and the WP7/8 debacle is just more evidence of that.

So, while WP gets its act together and builds a strong base (if that's possible), I will continue to go with other solutions. iOS does what I want. My past iPhones almost never crashed. I don't need to tweak my phone to the end of the earth; I was a sysadmin for a multi-domain corporation as a day job. I did all the "tweaking" I needed to do there and at home, I just want my shit to work. Apple provides a good solution to that and after dealing with an Android phone that crashes the UI at least three times a week (fuck you, HTC Sense), I'm more than ready to move back to a device that doesn't make me want to throw it in a river.

In short, I don't give a damn about specs. I want a phone that runs smoothly, has a multitude of apps, and doesn't fuck up several times a week. The iPhone 5 will do all of that and more.

And who wants a 5" screen on their phone? Having the option to buy one is nice but after using the One X I told my dad to buy a month ago, that screen is just too damned big. I don't want anything larger than 4.3" on my phone so a 4" screen on the iPhone 5 is just fine by me. I already own a tablet, I don't need a miniature version that makes phone calls.

Which Android did you have? Just curious.

superchunk said:
rocketpig said:

Which Android did you have? Just curious.

I bought the HTC Inspire the day it released. It was decent for a few months but then after the 2.3.3 upgrade (which took forever to get), it started crashing the UI. That has continued through 2.3.4 and 2.3.5 (which I think is actually a pretty lousy OS, the animations are too long and detract from the experience). But it's not just the UI. Apps crash fairly regularly on the phone (here's looking at you, Firefox).

I don't dislike Android itself but I do dislike Google's laissez faire attitude toward OS upgrades and I don't like the Play Store (too many iOS apps offer vastly superior versions to their Android counterparts, like the MLB At Bat app). Not all Google's fault but it is something they need to shore up in the future (along with fragmentation). I just didn't get enough good out of Android to warrant not returning to iPhone with this upgrade.

Plus, I can resell an iPhone for more money when I upgrade next time. Those things hold their value like no other phone.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

I wanted a bigger screen and I got a bigger screen, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to type with one hand anymore but the width stays the same = happy. Very content with iphone 4 so far, I'll probably get the 5S and skip this one especially if no other phone impresses to the degree that makes  me ditch all the apps i bought from the app store.

Apple loves me so much :]]]]

While the Windows Phone marketplace does not have "as" many apps, it does have over 100k apps and growing daily. This argument that "it has no apps" becomes less of an argument each day that passes. With W8/WP8 you can expect app support to skyrocket in the coming months essentially creating a "tie" of sorts as pretty much all major apps will be on all platforms.

Nokia is probably the only company that can compete toe to toe with Apple when it comes to quality craftsmanship of their phones. Not only have they delivered, they surpassed the iPhone 5 in almost every way with the 920. Where I live it gets pretty darn cold so being able to use my phone with gloves is a major plus.

pezus said:
Cub said:

I wanted a bigger screen and I got a bigger screen, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to type with one hand anymore but the width stays the same = happy. Very content with iphone 4 so far, I'll probably get the 5S and skip this one especially if no other phone impresses to the degree that makes  me ditch all the apps i bought from the app store.

Apple loves me so much :]]]]

Reggie will love you more if you buy the Wii U

With bayonetta being WiiU exclusive I am definitely considering it!

I feel like I am gonna skip next generation though, I Haven't played that much recently and I am just not into gaming anymore.probably some smartphone short gaming sessions but that's about it. So yeah, Apple gives all the love I need inside.

pezus said:
smbu2000 said:

I hope you stayed using IOS4 on that. My girlfriend has the same one and she never upgraded to IOS5 because of all that she read about it causing slowdown with the touch 3rd gen.

I figured they wouldn't offer me a new OS if it slowed the ipod down so much >_>. Is there a way to go back?

Well the new OS does work, but it might be a little too much for it to handle smoothly especially with limited RAM. That touch only has 256mb of RAM. The same thing happened to me when I upgraded my old iPad 1 to ios5. It felt sluggish because of the 256mb of RAM. It ran fine on my iPhone 4 which has 512mb of RAM though.

Anyway if you want to downgrade you have to download the older ios4 install file. Check the link below.

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

After you download the appropriate .ipsw file, connect your device to iTunes. In iTunes select your device and click "restore" (restore from backup on my computer) and find where you saved that .ipsw file you downloaded and restore from that. It should work.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.

pezus said:
smbu2000 said:
pezus said:

I don't lose my files, do I?

This site explains the restore process much better.

http://www.redmondpie.com/downgrade-ios-5-to-4.3.3-4.3.5-on-iphone-4-3gs-ipad-2-ipad-1-ipod-touch-how-to-tutorial/

Im not quite sure about that as I haven't downgraded myself. I'm guessing so since it puts everything at default. Try backing up first.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/51587/will-i-lose-my-game-saves-when-i-downgrade-to-ios-4-from-ios-5

Anyway, just make sure you make a backup so you can restore back if you need to.