By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Was the 40gig PS3 good for me

Famine said:
Kasz216 said:

But for how long will the PS2 work? The PS2 isn't like other consoles where taking good care of it will make sure it doesn't break.

BC models are the only way to go if you ask me, unless you plan to stop playing PS2 games during this generation or like tracking down used PS2s.

If his PS2 is still working then it was wise of him to buy the 40GB. If his PS2 does break down, he can most certainly get a PS2 cheaper than $100, not used.

In the end, it's his decision, not ours.

Well yeah.  He asked if we thought it was a good decision though.  To me if you plan to play PS2's for a long period of time it's a poor investment, as the thing is likely going to break 2 or 3 times,  I'd say it's worth the extra money to avoid the extra hassle.  Though he seems to have a miracle PS2 if it's been fine since launch.

Around the Network

Don't pre-order Killzone 2, if it flops in the reviews, PS3 fanboys can always say it has good sales because they sucked everyone into pre-ordering it :D.

40gb was a good choice, there's not much different (that would warrant forking out the extra dough for the higher end model) because you have a ps2. As for longevity Kasz216 is right, the DVD drive laser means that no matter what, it'll break down eventually. I've had mine for about 5 years now and it's still going strong (silent as ever and no issues with the DVD drive), so fingers crossed yours is about the same.

Get uncharted, it's the only game on the ps3 right now that I want. I've played it, and even though it's not the best game, it's better than the newer tomb raider games (which is the only comparable game that the 360 has at the moment i think). I'm guessing you know this already, but it's probably only worth getting the exclusive for the PS3 OR the multiplatform games that started on the PS3 (DMC4), because right now (and I would say well into the future), the 360 will almost always be the lead platform for multiplatform games, just because developers know they will sell more.

Yeah, i have Warhawk and Sigma, i got the demo for uncharted, and i must say i am impressed.

I rarely play my ps2 now, i havent touched it for almost 7 months, i just had a phase when i only played PC games, now i seem to be all over the place in terms of what i play on.

i never did play the ps2 much anyway... i've always liked my gamecube better, i only brought major releases on the PS2.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Kasz216 said:
brute said:
if you still have ps2 working then yes its a good buy for you

But for how long will the PS2 work? The PS2 isn't like other consoles where taking good care of it will make sure it doesn't break.

BC models are the only way to go if you ask me, unless you plan to stop playing PS2 games during this generation or like tracking down used PS2s.

All electronic products will break eventually, although those that incorporate optical media tend to have shorter life expectancies. The PS2 may have been the worst of last gen, but it is hardly on a par with a certain console of this gen (less than a tenth of the failure rate - that is failures that fall within a standard 1 year warranty).

Sony recently advertised for coders familiar with emulation, sparking rumours that their intention is to make 40gb unit backwards compatible through software. In any case, PS2 emulation will likely be perfected on the linux platform within the next 2 years, so you will be able to play them on PS3 (or PC) anyway.

Definitely not something to worry about. 

libellule said:
I m asking the same question than u Jessman ...

I want BC and PS3

for the moment, I wait, not very hard since MGS4 is still not here

I'm doing the same thing.  If 40 GB had BC it would be in my living room right now, but, since there isn't a game I really want until MGS4 comes out, might as well wait and see if any other SKU's come out or price drops.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Around the Network

I'm sure sony will do a software based ps2 emulation... either way i couldnt care less :p

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Played_Out said:
Kasz216 said:
brute said:
if you still have ps2 working then yes its a good buy for you

All electronic products will break eventually, although those that incorporate optical media tend to have shorter life expectancies. The PS2 may have been the worst of last gen, but it is hardly on a par with a certain console of this gen (less than a tenth of the failure rate - that is failures that fall within a standard 1 year warranty).

Sony recently advertised for coders familiar with emulation, sparking rumours that their intention is to make 40gb unit backwards compatible through software. In any case, PS2 emulation will likely be perfected on the linux platform within the next 2 years, so you will be able to play them on PS3 (or PC) anyway.

Definitely not something to worry about.

Yeah, not as bad as the 360.  Still the 2nd worst in the history of gaming.  Interesting about the PS2 emulation.  Wouldn't be really legal though i'd think unless it was sony backed.