By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bethesda wary of Wii U: ‘it doesn’t support our games’

Pavolink said:

So no Kojima Productions, no Take Two and now no Bethesda. Anyone knows any other developer/publisher with a big "NO" for Wii U?

Kojima Productions, from what I heard, didn't necessarily say no to WiiU.  He said that if he was to develop for the system, it should be an original IP.  So he did not say "no", IIRC.  He's interested, and besides, the Fox engine IS supposed to be multiplatform.  I'm sure Kojima will give the console a serious look.

Take Two is more skeptical, and while they didn't say no, they didn't confirm in the positive, either.  So I'm saying that they are iffy.

Bethesda sounds to me like they, too, are skeptical.  I can count them out as saying "no".  But not Kojima.

Around the Network

No Bethesda on Wii U? Best console of the forever confirmed! Their games are only playable with heavy community modding anyway so it's beyond me how anyone could play those games on a console. The Elder Scrolls/Fallout modding community should be paid for what they contribute, Bethesda itself is incompetent.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

JTurner82 said:
Pavolink said:

So no Kojima Productions, no Take Two and now no Bethesda. Anyone knows any other developer/publisher with a big "NO" for Wii U?

Kojima Productions, from what I heard, didn't necessarily say no to WiiU.  He said that if he was to develop for the system, it should be an original IP.  So he did not say "no", IIRC.  He's interested, and besides, the Fox engine IS supposed to be multiplatform.  I'm sure Kojima will give the console a serious look.

Take Two is more skeptical, and while they didn't say no, they didn't confirm in the positive, either.  So I'm saying that they are iffy.

Bethesda sounds to me like they, too, are skeptical.  I can count them out as saying "no".  But not Kojima.

Kojima said the same about the Wii, and nothing from him came to the console. I don't know if LOS2 is also from Kojima Productions (Mercury Steams) like the first one, but this game for example has been confirmed not coming to Wii U, even with a new one for 3DS. Also, Fox Engine while multiplatform, has been confirmed multiple times for PC/PS3/Xbox360/Vita with Wii U "maybe later in the road".

errorpwns said:

It cost very little to port a game from the 360 to Wii-U on average.  So they shouldn't have much of a risk porting over to the Wii U

Not anymore. Latest reports/rumors says that architecture is different, CPU is OoO and has a DSP for audio, unlike Xbox360. That's why some developers believe the CPU is weaker, while in reality, is different.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
JTurner82 said:
Pavolink said:

Kojima said the same about the Wii, and nothing from him came to the console. I don't know if LOS2 is also from Kojima Productions (Mercury Steams) like the first one...

It's not.  Konami said that Kojima is not involved with LOS2.  But Mercury Steam has said that they are not opposed to porting LoS2 down the road, provided they get more of a staff.  Also, about the Fox Engine being confirmed:  if they said WiiU later in the road then that means they probably ARE looking into it.  Konami themselves have also expressed interest in the WiiU, even if they're not currently developing games at the moment.  So I have a feeling that Kojima won't neglect the WiiU this time.

JTurner82 said:

It's not.  Konami said that Kojima is not involved with LOS2.  But Mercury Steam has said that they are not opposed to porting LoS2 down the road, provided they get more of a staff.  Also, about the Fox Engine being confirmed:  if they said WiiU later in the road then that means they probably ARE looking into it.  Konami themselves have also expressed interest in the WiiU, even if they're not currently developing games at the moment.  So I have a feeling that Kojima won't neglect the WiiU this time.

Wait. I believe PES2013 was in development for Wii U.

About Kojima, maybe, but I won't hold my breath. Better measure will be the day Iwata announces japanese third party support.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
JTurner82 said:

Wait. I believe PES2013 was in development for Wii U.

About Kojima, maybe, but I won't hold my breath. Better measure will be the day Iwata announces japanese third party support.

Yeah, all will be revealed when Iwata steps up to announce it... but if the WiiU also takes off, then that should be the straw to convince Kojima to give the console a chance.  We'll see.

TBH, I think Bethesda is just lazy. The PS3 has been out for 6 years and they can't get things running right on it. Plus, doesn't Bethesda commonly release unfinished/buggy games and then "patch" it up later to smooth out the problems. Maybe another reason could be they don't pass the strict quality test provided by Nintendo.. Then again, in recent generations Nintendo has been far far lenient than they were in the NES, SNES and N64 days. Who knows. Not a big loss to me personally.

twesterm said:
errorpwns said:
twesterm said:
melbye said:
Ugh, third parties never have a backbone when it comes to Nintendo-consoles. Always the wait and see approach and when they are ready to make games for it, it is already too late.

Can you blame them?

Making a AAA game is a huge risk with often little payoff.  Add onto that the fact that third party core games that aren't Nintendo properties typically don't sell well on Nintendo consoles.

It cost very little to port a game from the 360 to Wii-U on average.  So they shouldn't have much of a risk porting over to the Wii U

Again, we don't know this.  The WiiU is new hardware and the TES engine was not built for that hardware.  Getting something running on different hardware isn't a huge deal, getting it running well and tested is.

Ubisoft has said that, THQ has said that, other companies have said that it's easy.  Neither of those engines were built for the hardware.  The Wii U wasn't even out when Unreal 3 came out.  So to say the engine was built for the Wii Us hardware is false.  If they could port it over to the PS3 then they can port it over to the Wii U.  The problem with the PS3 is the way it allocates its memory.  It only leaves 256Mb for the video.  Whereas the 360 can dedicate nearly 400Mb to video if it needed to.  So for Bethsedas unoptimized engine it is obvious why dawnguard is doing terrible on the PS3.  The Wii-U has more than enough hardware to run the Creation Engine.  Don't forget its just a modified Game Broyo engine.  

The new word for different is weak! Lol

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
JTurner82 said:

Yeah, all will be revealed when Iwata steps up to announce it... but if the WiiU also takes off, then that should be the straw to convince Kojima to give the console a chance.  We'll see.

Yes. I suppose that's why they are after some games for that kind of userbase. As a only Wii owner I'm honestly surprised to see games like Darksiders II, Ninja Gaiden 3 and Mass Effect 3 running on a Nintendo console.

Even Ubisoft ported Assassins Creed III and created ZombiU, while EA isn't making a cartoon FIFA. Project Cars and Alien Colonial Marines are coming. To bad Metro Last Light and Ghost Recon Online are "on hold".

If these games sell enough, these companies will continue supporting and maybe some others will jump.