By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - AC3 dev: We're the last of the AAA dinosaurs

I heard even Nintendo are shifting to big budget projects with the new Zelda Wii U, so I'm not too sure how accurate this guy's statement is.

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
Ultr said:
Dallinor said:
Ultr said:
the AAA games are not dying just the studios

Resident Evil
Assassins creed
COD
those are like the only games I can now think of that really need such big teams

Uncharted Naughty Dog 201+ employees.
TheLastOfUs
Tomb Raider
Deus Ex
Killzone- Guerilla Games has 160 developers.
Infamous
Little Big Planet
Resistance
Heavy Rain- 180 employees (wiki source unlisted)
Borderlands
Darksiders
Hitman- IO interactive 200+ employees.

you know what I want to say
ALL those teams are like 100people at most.

so yeah, big teams seem to be dying out. but the AAA games keep coming

As well as that Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo) are at approx. 110 employees, Kojima Productions (Metal Gear Solid) approx. 200 employees. 343 Industries (Halo 4) approx 250 employees.

I would imagine the Square Enix teams working on the main FF games and Rockstar North (GTA) would also have massive teams.

Naughty dog, working on 2 games, before that, they only had 1 team, half of the people.

Guerilla games is working on 3 titles, so..

I dont believe those numbers, this is definately too much

IO interactive also have at least 2 games in developement

all those teams are nothing compared to a Resident evil where 600+ people are working for ONE game

same with Assassins creed 300+

and COD also I dunno the numbers, but must be pretty high

oh I forgot Rockstar

You also forgot Kojima Productions and 343, way past 100 working presumably on a single title.

I'm not sure about IO interactive working on two games, It's been 2 years since their last title and Hitman is set for this year. Nothing else has been announced.

Anything over 100 developers I imagine would be considered a big team in terms of industry standards.

As for the Resident Evil numbers, 150 people are working on the title in Japan with over 600 employees around the world involved in the title to some degree. That's completely different to actually having a team of 600 fully involved in the development of a single project, which would likely lead to the project having a completely overblown, astronomical budget.

Assassins Creed III has also had up to 600 people who have worked at one stage or another on various parts of the project. These kind of numbers are unprecedented though, so although they might see themsevles as a dying breed they're still apparently a relatively new breed in comparison to the numbers we've seen publicly shown from other studios.

GTAIV had 150 developers working on it I believe, with perhaps another 100 or so involved in the project. You can see the scale and size of that game for comparison. 

So do we now both approve that those big teams are a dying breed? :D

I cant see any of them dying, big games will always have a place, as have smaller ones.

I don't really know if what he says is being reflected in reality.

I could name at least 10-15 games just for the fall season which are amazing in quality and could be considered AAA anyday. To me it seems that every year there are more and more incredible games to choose for; so much so that I don't have nearly enough money to play them all. In terms of both quality and quantity, I don't know if the gaming industry has ever been this good. The smaller innovative Arcade/Indie games are just the icing on the cake.

Dallinor said:
Ultr said:
the AAA games are not dying just the studios

Resident Evil
Assassins creed
COD
those are like the only games I can now think of that really need such big teams

Uncharted Naughty Dog 201+ employees.
TheLastOfUs
Tomb Raider
Deus Ex
Killzone- Guerilla Games has 160 developers.
Infamous
Little Big Planet
Resistance
Heavy Rain- 180 employees (wiki source unlisted)
Borderlands
Darksiders
Hitman- IO interactive 200+ employees.

you know what I want to say
ALL those teams are like 100people at most.

so yeah, big teams seem to be dying out. but the AAA games keep coming

As well as that Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo) are at approx. 110 employees, Kojima Productions (Metal Gear Solid) approx. 200 employees. 343 Industries (Halo 4) approx 250 employees.

I would imagine the Square Enix teams working on the main FF games and Rockstar North (GTA) would also have massive teams.

I don't know about everyone on that list but I know ND and Guerrila both have two studios 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype