By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 14 reasons why this is the worst congress ever!!!

NightDragon83 said:
This has been the worst Congress since January 2007, and they've had approval ratings in the teens and single digits since then.

And how the hell does the IRS have a 40% approval rating???

I approve of the IRS.

It's not their fault congress gives them such stupid shitty tax laws to work with.  They're just doing their job.

Also, unless you know someone particularly rich and a tax cheat it's unlikely you will know someone screwed by them, since they tend to mostly only audit the rich, because investigating and prosecuting the poor costs more then it brings in.  So they only prosecute a small portion to keep up enough risk to make some worry.

So really, all most people know the IRS for are frustrating forms that come with a  bonus check of money at the end of the year.

Around the Network

Also... it's kinda hard to call the Republicans the ones obstructing votes when they're the majority party.  The Repeal issue is a valid one and a stupid move by them.

Bodes well for the candidate i'm going to be stumping for this season, since she's a first-timer Washington outsider (and not a blue dog, though sadly she is a member of the NRA, but with all the hunters up here that's almost inevitable)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Kasz216 said:

Also... it's kinda hard to call the Republicans the ones obstructing votes when they're the majority party.  The Repeal issue is a valid one and a stupid move by them.

WHAAATTTTT !!!!!!

The Demos are the majority party as they control the White House and the Senate.  Republicans only control the House of Representatives (which means they only control 1/2 of the US Congress, or half of the Legislative branch of government.)

#1 is a good thing, they should be repealing laws/regulations, not passing new ones. But the rest are true.

Around the Network

1. By far the best thing about the current Congress. We don't want them adding more laws.

2. All US government is unpopular at this point.

3. So polarized yet they agree on doing all the same stuff that screws us over...hence number 2.

4. So instead of working to be responsible and paying our debts, we should increase them? Way to show the world how to do things. Run up debt, it's OK. And when you max out, just borrow more. It's OK.

5. That credit rating should have been dropped years ago. Many years ago. As soon it it became apparent that the US could never repay its obligations. We should consider ourselves damn lucky we've had that rating as long as we have. And it's largely because everybody sucks at paying debts just as bad or worse.

6. The SuperCommittee. Not sure Congress could have come up with a dumber and more Constitutionally benighted idea if they were paid to...oh wait.

7. Repeal. The problem is they didn't stop with the Affordable Care Act. So much they could repeal to benefit the US and they failed to grasp the opportunity of the repeal mindset while they had the chance. Such a rare opportunity wasted.

8. Congress and budget...that's how many jokes get started.

9. This is kind of a good thing. This is part of how we learn to manage that budget. If we can't repeal the appropriation, don't pay for it.

10. Also a good thing. As prices fluctuate for global oil and infrastructure costs, best not to get fixed on current prices. Also works to help reign in the budget more. It may sound bad that we can't pay for a few things now but if we keep spending like there's no tomorrow, there eventually won't be a tomorrow.

11. I don't know much on this one but it sounds like bad economic management to trade a $16.5 million cut with a $350 million loss. It's good to look for cuts but do it smart.

12. Don't get me started on the Fed. We need it like James Holmes needs another bullet clip. They are the enabler of our woes. Sure, you blame the crack addict for getting addicted but the supplier is just as responsible.

13. I don't disagree with them. It is one of the worst but that's like saying it's the worst player on an 0-16 Football team. Doesn't really matter as Congress has sucked for decades.

14. They are part of the problem to begin with. We can't expect them to solve themselves.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Kasz216 said:

I approve of the IRS.

It's not their fault congress gives them such stupid shitty tax laws to work with.  They're just doing their job.

Also, unless you know someone particularly rich and a tax cheat it's unlikely you will know someone screwed by them, since they tend to mostly only audit the rich, because investigating and prosecuting the poor costs more then it brings in.  So they only prosecute a small portion to keep up enough risk to make some worry.

So really, all most people know the IRS for are frustrating forms that come with a  bonus check of money at the end of the year.

That's true re: the tax code, but the IRS manages to do some insanely fucked up shit all on its own. What's next? Taxing a woman on her vagina because she could be using it to earn money as prostitute? It's not the IRS' fault if she isn't!

Nighthawk117 said:
Kasz216 said:

WHAAATTTTT !!!!!!

The Demos are the majority party as they control the White House and the Senate.  Republicans only control the House of Representatives (which means they only control 1/2 of the US Congress, or half of the Legislative branch of government.)

Which is the half that actually tends to bring laws to vote on.

In the Senate, you've got Harry Reid who blocked the President's jobs bill... they won't even bring laws they support up in a timely manner.  In general, the House has always passed laws, while the senate always obstructs them.  It was the same back last congress when there was a democrat majority in both houses.

I mean, the house has voted to repeal the ACA 33 times... and it's passed most of those times... which is unsurprising since Obama wiped out the parts that got a lot of people to vote on it, via executive order.  Heck, since your position seems to be defined by Anti-corprotism and negative feelings towards even moderates like Bill Clinton i'm surprised you seem to support it.  Rather then taking the Ralph Nader stance. 

"In 2010, Ralph Nader called Obamacare a boon to predatory giants. They profit hugely. Ordinary people lose. Nader called PPACA “a pay-or-die system that’s the disgrace of the Western world.”"

After the election it's probably going to get to the point to where Obama will have to Veto such repeals.  Since despite rape mc rapenson ruining the Mississipi race, the Republicans still have a really good chance to win.

badgenome said:
Kasz216 said:

I approve of the IRS.

That's true re: the tax code, but the IRS manages to do some insanely fucked up shit all on its own. What's next? Taxing a woman on her vagina because she could be using it to earn money as prostitute? It's not the IRS' fault if she isn't!

Eh, just because it doesn't have a value in the US doesn't mean it doesn't have value.  In another country I'm sure it would fetch quite a bit.

I'd assess it at a valuable equal to it's market value in a country where it would be legal to sell it.

Otherwise you'd just give people a decent loophole to avoid the system.  (Whether or not we should have the system is a different question.)

Kasz216 said:

Eh, just because it doesn't have a value in the US doesn't mean it doesn't have value.  In another country I'm sure it would fetch quite a bit.

I'd assess it at a valuable equal to it's market value in a country where it would be legal to sell it.

Otherwise you'd just give people a decent loophole to avoid the system.  (Whether or not we should have the system is a different question.)

It isn't that it doesn't have value. It's that it doesn't have fair market value in the US, which is what the IRS is supposed to go by (unless it doesn't feel like it, apparently).