By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Thoughts on Uncharted

I was really excited about getting Uncharted and now I'm like 70% through it I figured I'd throw out some of my thoughts. Because in alot of ways it's a mixed bag. I loved that uncharted looked sort of like an Indiana Jones type experience, we really don't get enough of that. And getting the game on the positive side the ciniematics are great fun, it really feels like a fun summer movie, plus the graphics are insanely good, the way clothes get wet to the motion blur when you spin the camera is simply insane. This may very well be the best looking game I've played. the gameplay elements are sound too and enjoyable.

Now the bad. I felt playing this game that its quite linear, you can only ever go one direction, you can only solve problems one way, it felt a little  restrained after playing games like Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed. That didn't really bother me, what did was the lack of adventure gameplay, the game is perfect for some walking around a native village, maybe talking to some people gathering clues, solving some puzzles, but instead your pretty much shooting 80% of the time. In fact there is a fun fighting system, but you can never use it, because people are always shooting at you. I think that's what bothers me most. I like the shooting to, but I liked the mix of gameplay the climbing, the jetski parts were fun, more of that would have been great. Escpecially since the shooting scenes got oftly repetitive you'd keep fighting the same 5 guys with the same guns and moves. Plus you seem to stay in the same island with the same kind of scenery for most of the game. I kind of thought you'd be going to all kinds of exotic locations.

So in the end I'm not trying to bash the game I'll go on to beat it and and I've enjoyed it, and I look forward to the sequel, I just hope this game was somewhat shallow because naughty dog was adjusting to a new system, and I hope the next really kicks but.

Around the Network

Good to hear feedback on it ^^ Well for one, the game is VERY linear, but purposefully so, they tried to avoid involving "sidequests" and map your own destiny etc etc etc. They wanted you to feel a certain way about their game and I think you got that feeling :) I do agree, there is a LOT of shooting :P, they need a few more sequences like that running across the breaking hallway, and the Jeep chase IMO, but maybe they were just testing the water for feedback :)

I think more than anything you have to understand that it is an action/adventure/puzzle game, not the other way around :D 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

I agree 100% and said pretty much all the same things after beating the game about two weeks ago.

BTW, be sure to chime in once you hit the last major plot twist. I, for one, thought it was kinda a lame copout in an otherwise fun game.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I am currently at the Bunker. So far I have liked the game. The shooting gets to be a bit much, and the puzzles are way too simple. Something about the game just clicks for me I am looking forward to finishing it.
RabidBunny
PS My wife likes to watch the cut scenes, and platform sections. The PS3 is setup in the bedroom and she will put down her book or DS Picross/Sudoko to watch.

Machina-AX said:
rocketpig said:
I agree 100% and said pretty much all the same things after beating the game about two weeks ago.

BTW, be sure to chime in once you hit the last major plot twist. I, for one, thought it was kinda a lame copout in an otherwise fun game.

Well you see the twist coming mile off (way too many clues), but I liked it. It completely changed the style of play I had adopted. It certainly gave it a fresh perspective for the final few hours of the game.

I liked the idea of fighting the other humans for control of the relic. I thought the twist at the end was unnecessary and kinda killed the cool vibe the game had going before that point. Some of it was definitely freaky but IMO, didn't fit in the game well.

Around the Network

Yeah, it's my favourite PS3 exclusive so far. The only thing I didn't like was I totally called the big plot twist, and like in Halo 3, there were a couple of key enemies that I got cheated out of fighting.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I thought it was overall very good, and didn't mind it being linear too much as (like COD4 SP for example) it remains the best way to keep a game truly cinematic and ensure you experience a channelled experience. However I agree with most of your other negatives. For me what I'd like to see in next one is:

a) better mix of adventure and shooting - a few more puzzles and action setpieces for examples

b) better use of vehicles (particularly the Jetski sequence where I wanted speed but seemed to be stopping dead every two seconds to shot someone or something (where do all the barrels in games like this and Half Life come from anway?)

c) better mix of elements - it was a little too much now for a lot of climbing, okay now for a lot of shooting. How about short gunbattle, followed by some shooting, followed by a setpiece, followed by a puzzle, etc.

d) get rid of the quick key responses - this is awful even when it works! I want to always watch what's happening, not suddenly hunt for the signal in the bottom left corner of the screen to see which button I suddenly need to press. I like the idea but just let me jerk the controller in a certain direction.

However the story, voice acting and 'feel' was the best for me of any game in 2007 - I particularly liked many of the action/humour cinematics such as the jailbreak.

I also very much liked the lack of loading apart from between major jumps of location (which was always covered by a cinematic anyway) - going from the jungle to an underground temple to the jungle to a U-Boat without a break was fantastic for keeping you in the game.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Yah I'll agree COMPLETELY on those button sequences XD so far God of war is tthe only serie's that's captured it powerfully in my opinion.

I don't like or dislike the "twist", but I LOVED the change in gameplay elements, it took what I'd been learning the whole game and slammed me with new material :D I absolutely loved it ^^ but man some of those @#$@#$@# treasures are a b*tch to find XD

And I would NOT have liked this game to be non-linear... It did such a nice job of telling the story :) 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

While I did enjoy the game, I agree that I felt like it could have used more platforming and puzzle solving because the enemy waves would get rather annoying despite the funny comments from Nate every time with a "Where do they come from???"

I think they had the idea for the twist from something else, but I didn't really like how the cause of the twist wasn't really explained.

One huge annoyance I had with the game:

Enemies: "Okay, everyone. We're here to find this gold statue thingy. But, since we know Nathan Drake is on our tails, we have to prepare. Instead of finding the statue and leaving, we have work to do.

Everyone, spread out and start unloading the 500 explosive barrels we brought with us in key locations around the island. And whatever you do, make sure you guard them with your lives. Stand right next to them until you see Drake coming!

Oh, and be sure to put a shitload of them in the river in case Drake steals one of our Jetskis. As a matter of fact, be sure to leave the keys in all your Jetskis and leave them unguarded (in favor of guarding the barrels). He'll never see that trap coming!"

Meh. Utterly stupid.