By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How fast were they?

nintendo_fanboy said:

@ Deguello: I have to defend Kwaad in that case. Because GC released some time after PS2, the PC's became better during that time which means the GC's 30 % are better than the PS2's 30 %. Kwaad also mentioned that in his post.

Kwaad writes a lot of nonsense, but before you start arguing with him you should read the stuff properly. Otherways your becoming ridiculous.

But now something about the topic. I think we have discussed the graphics enough already and history told us that the graphics don't decide a console war. So it's not worth discussing those numbers I think.

PC's did not get that much better in one year, mate.  His opinion is wrong either way.

But yeah, I think it's time we stopped humoring him, and maybe the a mod or something could stop humoring him too. 

Around the Network

Kwaad says:

"The Wii. This is where you get mad at me. The Wii has roughly double the processor and roughly double the graphics speed of the GameCube. This puts it right beside the original x-box in actual power. The Wii is roughly 2/3rd of a 6 year old computer. The Graphics chip on the Wii is close to a GeForce3 in performance. That is about 1/32 of a 8800GTX. Or about 3%. Giving the Wii 5% is giving it more credit than it deserves."

You this wanting to say that the Nintendo passed 5 years working in a console to launch with being able graphical identical to the Xbox? You are calling me dull, if she believes this.

He looks at, and he has more, he can have certainty that this generation (Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360) finishes in 2010, in my opinion Nintendo and Microsoft will launch its new consoles in 2010. Think… about 2010 Xbox 360 already will be completing 5 years of existence, and Wii is not capable of a race of more than what 4 years… the hardware does not allow still more… that Sony already declared that the PS3 must go up to 2013/2014… that is, Sony does not have the minimum condition to launch a console in 2010 or 2011 even though.

Kwaad said:

6The GameCube when it was released was overshadowed by the release of the x-box. The GameCube had more power than the PS2, but it was never said much because the x-box was the winner in the power battle.

7The X-box was a beast when it first came out. The thing was a litteral brick. It weighed a ton, it was huge, it was massive, and it was fast. It was actually a home PC in a console box.

(I pulled most of these numbers out of my arse, so their not 100% accurate, I would love to make them more accurate) 

Afaik the GC was not half was powerful as the xbox, some say just as powerful.  I cant be bothered looking at your other numbers because that first result is wrong (thats how it works in the real world, find one mistake, therefore all your other figures are wrong).

Using the ever reliable blog http://wiinside.blogspot.com/

(Note there are other sources, I'm just doing a half assed effort like you did :P)

Quantum-Tarantino said:

Console 6 GCN

495 Mhz

PC's of 2001

Intel released the 2.0 Ghz P4

Approx 25% (straight Clock speed)

The Gecko (Gamecube CPU) was based on a G3 processor but had an extended instruction set which made it far faster at game related functions than a G3 at the same clock speed. In 2001 Mac was releasing G3 based iMacs at 500MHz to 700MHz which were considered (roughly) equal to 1GHz to 1.5 GHz Intel based PCs at the time.

Thanks for that squirrel, i dont hacve full research ability here at work.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

Being that the Gamecube and XBox were roughly the same power when released and were released within days of eachother why in your (completely unscientific chart) is the Gamecube half as powerful as the XBox?

I think we'd all like to see the answer on this one as it's patently false to claim XB is twice as powerful as GCN.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Kwaad said:

If people hate my opinion, why do I get PMs about how much people like what I say?

EDIT: My wife is asleep, so I cant use my sound system and I dont feel like playing games today.

Maybe if you sell your PS3 and buy some games for the Wii - then you will feel like playing games (and even have some change to buy other things :>). Then we won't get as many of these threads started...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099