By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The politics of this forum can be hilarous

Every time I look inside the politics section, all I see are the most dramatic doom and gloom articles 

"The Economist says that the world's civillizations won't survive the death-spiral" ....   etc etc etc

What gives here?  Why cant this place have some moderate opinions ???

Around the Network

Because moderates don't like to talk about politics and when they do enter a discussion they get shouted down. With politics you can't hear reason through activist bullhorns.

I'm guessing it's because this is a video game forum. Everyone here is either a teenager or at the level of maturity of a teenager. (I'm both, for the record.) We tend to be aggressive, annoying and, more importantly, rebellious. You can't be a rebellious moderate. That's like an oxymoron.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

News is a product. It costs money just like any other product or service. You get it through websites, t.v., print etc. Wherever you get you ended up forking over cash. Nobody forks over cash to get shit they don't want. People only listen to the news they want to hear thus reinforcing their opinions thus reinforcing News' need to be specifically catered towards that particular customer.

That's how it is. News is just as much a paid product as videogames or movies or other t.v. series. You give people what they want because it is a business. Or you fail. That's why the Wii came after the gamecube, isn't it?

Me, personally, when I watch t.v. I always flip through the 3 major networks. MSNBC (generally left), FOX (generally right), and CNN (pretty mild/moderate, and has the lowest ratings and is in danger of failing surprise surprise).

And I second that Moderates/independents tend to get shouted down to when political conversations ensue. You have no one to back you and everyone hates you lol.

because i don't want to talk about normal politics with people i don't really know in a videogame forum when it is very hard to discuss this even with people in front of you. so, it has to be something special or i talk about that in forums not only full of members all with the same hobby or with real life people.

that's the reason i'm not interested in moderate politics on vgc, no clue what other peoples reasons are.

Around the Network

News and Politics is a very miserable and gloomy topic, that how it is. No such thing as good news (unless you live in North Korea, where you get to hear how great Kim Jung Un is, LOL)

The adventures of Kim Jung Un

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f37K0hIv3zk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGycPE3XdIc

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

How many moderate opinions on any speculative topic do you see?

Do people talk about the next generation of consoles with moderate expectations for their capabilities and sales? Not usually ... You're more likely to see a post on how the Wii U is less powerful than the NES and the PS4/XBox 720 are more powerful than $5000 PCs will be 5 years from now than to see a post that the Wii U is a moderate upgrade on the XBox 360/PS3 and the PS4/XBox 720 may be moderate upgrades on the Wii U.

People generally do not think about the future in moderate terms:

Honestly i love the mix we get here, both in terms of geographic diversity and viewpoint. Watching Turkish and Player1x3 tangle over the ancient grievances between Turks and Serbs, mai and Sharu as pipelines to non-westernized Russian opinions, we've got pro and anti EU folks from Europe, semi-Communists and a few people who believe that taxation is categorically theft. Atheists, Christians, Muslims, and a strong gay community, VGC ends up being a good place to talk politics, and with the help of (ahem) strong moderation, we can keep things from getting too out of hand to make sure that it all doesn't always devolve into mere shouting matches.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Honestly i love the mix we get here, both in terms of geographic diversity and viewpoint. Watching Turkish and Player1x3 tangle over the ancient grievances between Turks and Serbs, mai and Sharu as pipelines to non-westernized Russian opinions, we've got pro and anti EU folks from Europe, semi-Communists and a few people who believe that taxation is categorically theft. Atheists, Christians, Muslims, and a strong gay community, VGC ends up being a good place to talk politics, and with the help of (ahem) strong moderation, we can keep things from getting too out of hand to make sure that it all doesn't always devolve into mere shouting matches.

The biggest problem with political debates on this forum (in my opinion) is that the people who are knowledgeable enough to debate any topic end up arguing the same topic with the same people all the time; and over time it gets pretty dull.

On another topic, one of the best ways I have seen to truly build understanding on topics is to get people to argue the opposite viewpoint. Usually this has to be done in public with something on the line to make people take it seriously, but if take someone who is on one side of an issue and force them to read up and understand the other side of an issue to be able to intelligently debate it they tend to become more open minded about the issue.

There are some pretty smart users on here that have a decent grasp on politics. I try to add things to political threads but I am not the greatest poster. I do like to see some of the conversations that develop from my posts. Usually, it isn't me debating the things further considering I would probably get schooled but I do enjoy reading other people's debates.