By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The politics of this forum can be hilarous

When a news story is so important that it gets posted on a video game website, then it's already pretty extreme. We don't have threads about the 2% proposed tax increase on road maintenance. We talk about wars and assassinations and conspiracies and stuff. Plus, I have no connection to reality.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Mr Khan said:
Honestly i love the mix we get here, both in terms of geographic diversity and viewpoint. Watching Turkish and Player1x3 tangle over the ancient grievances between Turks and Serbs, mai and Sharu as pipelines to non-westernized Russian opinions, we've got pro and anti EU folks from Europe, semi-Communists and a few people who believe that taxation is categorically theft. Atheists, Christians, Muslims, and a strong gay community, VGC ends up being a good place to talk politics, and with the help of (ahem) strong moderation, we can keep things from getting too out of hand to make sure that it all doesn't always devolve into mere shouting matches.

The biggest problem with political debates on this forum (in my opinion) is that the people who are knowledgeable enough to debate any topic end up arguing the same topic with the same people all the time; and over time it gets pretty dull.

On another topic, one of the best ways I have seen to truly build understanding on topics is to get people to argue the opposite viewpoint. Usually this has to be done in public with something on the line to make people take it seriously, but if take someone who is on one side of an issue and force them to read up and understand the other side of an issue to be able to intelligently debate it they tend to become more open minded about the issue.

That would be an AWESOME thread idea.