By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Wal-Mart will only sell Blu-Ray players in store according to CNN.

Yeah it's the end who would now buy an HD-DVD player?

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
kitler53 said:
yeah, HD DVD is dead. The real question now is can blu ray capture the attention of the main stream.

without HD-DVD they can focus on having some movies only available on Blu-ray or release the Blu-ray versions before the DVD or advertise a ton. Or all of the above.

God I hope they don't start releasing movies on bluray first (or exclusively, ugh), that would piss me off.  I don't want these new formats, I'm happy with dvd's.

Kytiara said:
ssj12 said:
kitler53 said:
yeah, HD DVD is dead. The real question now is can blu ray capture the attention of the main stream.

without HD-DVD they can focus on having some movies only available on Blu-ray or release the Blu-ray versions before the DVD or advertise a ton. Or all of the above.

God I hope they don't start releasing movies on bluray first (or exclusively, ugh), that would piss me off.  I don't want these new formats, I'm happy with dvd's.

formats chang, look at HDDs they are being phased out. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Kytiara said:
ssj12 said:
kitler53 said:

God I hope they don't start releasing movies on bluray first (or exclusively, ugh), that would piss me off. I don't want these new formats, I'm happy with dvd's.

By that time I think player prices will be less than $75 and the average MSRP of movie prices might be $10 lower than it is right now.  I agree you shouldn't be forced into anything, but things like this usually take care of themselves.  Look how long VHS survived.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

ssj12 said:
Kytiara said:
ssj12 said:
kitler53 said:

God I hope they don't start releasing movies on bluray first (or exclusively, ugh), that would piss me off. I don't want these new formats, I'm happy with dvd's.

I'm not an expert on these things, and I'm sure in the future HDD will be replaced, but I think that it is very very very very very early to say that they are being "phased out."

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Around the Network

HDD's as we know them will be here for awhile, but ssj12's point is well made. Look what things like flash drives and ipods are doing for not only the mass production of flash storage but for the general acceptance of them.

I have seen a lot of info about other types of harddrives as will, but I have to say I am disappointed almost none of it is on shelves yet.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

It's way past time for Toshiba to stop this farce and think about the consumers now. Swallow your pride and work on building the best blu-ray player you can. Toshiba builds good electronics, so get in on the blu-ray band wagon.

Consumers need to be able to convert to HD with confidence. Allow them that ability. Nobody wants to throw thousands of dollars into a Betamax or Laserdisc copycat.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Game over, man. Game over. Personally, I'm still satisfied with plain old DVD's. Still, it's good to know there's finally going to be a clear winner in the HD formay "war". I was kinda hoping HD-DVD would win, though.

$99 HD-DVD players

and MS drops drive to seventy bucks.

That will save them, or at the very least, sell lots of units.

Avalach21 said:
ssj12 said:
Kytiara said:
ssj12 said:
kitler53 said:

I'm not an expert on these things, and I'm sure in the future HDD will be replaced, but I think that it is very very very very very early to say that they are being "phased out."

Apple is already starting to put SSD drives in their laptops. HDDs will slowly be phased out as SSD drives become cheaper and cheaper faster thanks to Apple. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453