By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Surface for Windows RT tablet coming October 26th for $199?

Very good price, though I don't quite believe it.

It is 10", so I think they could afford to push it to at least $250 to $300 while still undercutting the iPad by enough

Around the Network

That would be wild if it ends up being true.

Personally, though, I'm into this stuff and I still have a hard time understanding exactly WHO the RT is designed for. To me the advantage of a W8 tab vs the others is that it's an actual fully functioning PC vs a huge phone+. But RT doesn't seem convincing to me because of the compromises of ARM.

That being said, this makes me even MORE interested in seeing how much the Pro version costs if this rumor turns out to be true ...

Darth Tigris said:

Personally, though, I'm into this stuff and I still have a hard time understanding exactly WHO the RT is designed for. To me the advantage of a W8 tab vs the others is that it's an actual fully functioning PC vs a huge phone+. But RT doesn't seem convincing to me because of the compromises of ARM.

That being said, this makes me even MORE interested in seeing how much the Pro version costs if this rumor turns out to be true ...

Kinda my opinion as well. I plan on buying a Nexus 7 tablet (maybe a couple) for the house. Perfect for lounge surfing / playing simple games. Save battery on phones and larger screen is more comfortable for internet.

But, WinRT is simply not what I want from MS. Android fullfills that area far better. I do think a Pro Surface tablet would be great as a laptop replacement though. But I will wait on that as I don't really need a laptop right now. But if I do, I will probably grab the pro.

superchunk said:
Darth Tigris said:

Kinda my opinion as well. I plan on buying a Nexus 7 tablet (maybe a couple) for the house. Perfect for lounge surfing / playing simple games. Save battery on phones and larger screen is more comfortable for internet.

But, WinRT is simply not what I want from MS. Android fullfills that area far better. I do think a Pro Surface tablet would be great as a laptop replacement though. But I will wait on that as I don't really need a laptop right now. But if I do, I will probably grab the pro.

Also similar to my opinion.

I'm not really interested in ARM based tablets in general, I think I would be happy with a smartphone for on the move and unless I have money to burn while i'm at home I will always have a fully functioning computer of some form. The only advantage a tablet would have is a little more portability and speed for basic surfing (although again, a smartphone works for that)

If the Pro tablet comes below £500 at any point (probably means it would be ~$650) then I will probably get one as a replacement to my laptop. Ideally I would want a desktop or larger screen laptop as well though.

If this is true then I hope the Intel Core Surface will be just as aggressively priced.