By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Washington state orginization pushing hard to legalize marijuana

sperrico87 said:
Mr Khan said:
I've said it before and i'll say it again: the FBI will just move in and shut it all down. It either needs to be federal legalization or bust.

I was about to say something similiar.  I don't see what good this state law would do, since the feds are going to nullify it.  Last I heard, the Obama administration's policy toward marijuana is even more stringent than Bush's.

Sadly, this is true.

However, I think the important thing to keep in mind is that as more states legalize it, the position will have more support. A politician looking to be elected president may be more willing to adopt this platform if it means they can win more votes. So right now, it is sort of pointless. But in the long term, it is a step in the right direction.

Around the Network
sperrico87 said:
Mr Khan said:
I've said it before and i'll say it again: the FBI will just move in and shut it all down. It either needs to be federal legalization or bust.

I was about to say something similiar.  I don't see what good this state law would do, since the feds are going to nullify it.  Last I heard, the Obama administration's policy toward marijuana is even more stringent than Bush's.

If the states see enough support in keeping it legal, they have every incentive to challenge the Feds. This could come down to the Supreme Court (IF it gains enough political traction).

insomniac17 said:
sperrico87 said:
Mr Khan said:

Sadly, this is true.

However, I think the important thing to keep in mind is that as more states legalize it, the position will have more support. A politician looking to be elected president may be more willing to adopt this platform if it means they can win more votes. So right now, it is sort of pointless. But in the long term, it is a step in the right direction.

They seem to have built a solid defense agains this.

http://www.newapproachwa.org/sites/newapproachwa.org/files/I-502%20Backgrounder%20-%20Federal%20Law%20-%20073012.pdf

DaHuuuuuudge said:

http://www.newapproachwa.org/sites/newapproachwa.org/files/I-502%20Backgrounder%20-%20Federal%20Law%20-%20073012.pdf

My point was that if more states legalize it, there will be more incentive for the feds to legalize it as well.

Good. The support for legalization in the whole country surpassed 50% recently for the first time. Colorado the state that has the highest percentage of those that support legalization is going to vote too. It is already practically legal here due to medical MJ. I do not see a reason to continue nonsense.

Most voters against this are the old and women. Hopefully, the media can convince women to legalize it because it comes down to them not men.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
Kasz216 said:
I think it should be legal. I question how much revenue it can actually bring in though considering how cheap it is naturally.

I think taxation too high would create a big underground market, much like how cigarettes are in most European countries.

I think one of the main reasons as to why marijuana is illegal, is how hard it is to tax. Not just for drug purposes, but all the other products that hemp provides for.

I imagine so.   Though it's a bit more complicated then planting tomatoes, Marijuana is pretty easy to grow in comparison to tobacco.

I mean, when was the last time you saw people growing a bunch of tobacco plants in their basement.

Mr Khan said:

Eh, could spark a lawsuit between a state and the Feds.

I wouldn't be surprised if the current supreme court had a strange coalition that would lead to it's legalization.

Espiecally with Kagan around.

This is one of those far left+far right harmony issues.  With even some of the religious right coming around.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57393466/pat-robertson-marijuana-should-be-legal/

insomniac17 said:
DaHuuuuuudge said:

My point was that if more states legalize it, there will be more incentive for the feds to legalize it as well.

And my point was that they're arguing they don't need to incentivize the feds, but Washington has the right to do this. They're making a state's right claim.

DaHuuuuuudge said:

And my point was that they're arguing they don't need to incentivize the feds, but Washington has the right to do this. They're making a state's right claim.

Ah, I gotcha. Of course they can do this. Denver has had an ounce or less of marijuana legalized for people 21 years or older since 2005. But those people can still get into trouble with the state or feds, if the state or feds choose to enforce their laws (For example, you could be fined up to $100 bucks by Colorado if you're caught). The state law is likely to change this election, at least.

So I do agree that the state has the right to legalize marijuana. But the feds can still enforce their laws too, and that's why Mr Khan said that it's pointless until the feds legalize it. You're probably less likely to get into trouble, but it's still not completely legal. The plus about this sort of thing passing is that it sends a message to everyone that it's gaining support.

Kasz216 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Kasz216 said:
I think it should be legal. I question how much revenue it can actually bring in though considering how cheap it is naturally.

I think taxation too high would create a big underground market, much like how cigarettes are in most European countries.

I think one of the main reasons as to why marijuana is illegal, is how hard it is to tax. Not just for drug purposes, but all the other products that hemp provides for.

I imagine so.   Though it's a bit more complicated then planting tomatoes, Marijuana is pretty easy to grow in comparison to tobacco.

I mean, when was the last time you saw people growing a bunch of tobacco plants in their basement.

i've never grown tobacco, but marijuan isn't exactly easy to grow. There is quite a bit to it, and depending on how you do it there is a good amount of start up cost. And if you want good buds(who doesn't want the best) its even harder. I know a lot of people who have tried and failed. I think most people would choose to buy it rather than grow it.