By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Huckabee the Theocrat

WARREN, Mich. -- Huckabee's closing argument to voters here this evening featured a few new stories and two prolonged sections on illegal immigration and Christian values.

These two topics usually feature prominently in Huckabee's stump speech, but last night he got specific, promising to build a border fence within 18 months if elected and elaborating on his belief that the constitution needs to be amended.

"I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution, but I believe it's a lot easier to change the constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards," Huckabee said, referring to the need for a constitutional human life amendment and an amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

Huckabee often refers to the need to amend the constitution on these grounds, but he has never so specifically called for the Constitution to be brought within "God's standards," which are themselves debated amongst religious scholars. As a closing statement he asked the room of nearly 500 supporters to "pray and then work hard, and in that order," to help him secure a victory in Tuesday's GOP primary.

Tomorrow Huckabee will visit two polling places in the morning before taking off for South Carolina where he will watch Michigan's returns come in.

(emphasis added)
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/01/15/579265.aspx

If you like the separation of church and state laid down by the Founding Fathers, do not support Mike Huckabee.

Joe Scarborough may have unintentionally submitted a masterpiece of understatement regarding this issue: "... some might find that statement very troubling, that we're going to change the Constitution to be in line with the Bible."

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

I for one want him or Romney to win the republican nomination: One will get very few votes from actual conservatives, because he's a big government theocrat that would spend more than the democrats. The other will not get a single vote from an Evangelical or a Southern Baptist, because they'd rather vote for Satan than for a Mormon.

will be insane if this guy win the election
I am asking myself if he is not worse than Bush !!!

Time to Work !

Funny you guys mention the separation of church and state, when it's never implied in the constitution or any federal document in the 1700's.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

hibikir said:
I for one want him or Romney to win the republican nomination: One will get very few votes from actual conservatives, because he's a big government theocrat that would spend more than the democrats. The other will not get a single vote from an Evangelical or a Southern Baptist, because they'd rather vote for Satan than for a Mormon.

if you want either of them you are insane and should go burn all your video game now.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Then finally Iran and the US would be on the same level!

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad
mrstickball said:
Funny you guys mention the separation of church and state, when it's never implied in the constitution or any federal document in the 1700's.

Thomas Jefferson INVENTED THE PHRASE.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state.
(emphasis added)

But then, that letter was written in 1802, so I guess that doesn't count.

I regret to say that I have not yet read the Federalist Papers, but I am confident that the subject is adequately explored therein.

(It occurs to me that you may be saying that documents from the federal government from 1791-1799 don't
explore the topic; I don't know about that, but the intent of the Founding Fathers is abundantly clear.)

[edit:  In any case, it's obvious that Huckabee has goals that are currently unconstitutional if he wants to amend the Constitution.]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

FLAMEBAIT!!!!

I want my WHOLE paycheck! I support the Fair Tax!

http://www.fairtax.org/

The actual intent of the phrase "Separation of Church and State" was to make sure that the government did not make a preference towards any one religion. This is not to say that we can't apply the moral judgments of Religion to our laws, it is simply to remove Governmental power from establishing a state church, just as they have in England.

I want my WHOLE paycheck! I support the Fair Tax!

http://www.fairtax.org/

Down with Obama, seriously there are no great candidates, I'm leaning towards Hilary but i dunno she's not that great either.