By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mathematical dispute

I am in the first group. After performing what is inside the parenthesis, the equation should be solved from left to right, according to how I learned it. If you wanted 2 to be the correct answer, you would have to write the equation like this... 48/(2(9+3)), again, according to how I learned how to solve equations (which does follow PEMDAS).

Around the Network
insomniac17 said:

I am in the first group. After performing what is inside the parenthesis, the equation should be solved from left to right, according to how I learned it. If you wanted 2 to be the correct answer, you would have to write the equation like this... 48/(2(9+3)), again, according to how I learned how to solve equations (which does follow PEMDAS).

Which is the correct way to solve it ...

The reason we have order of operations (BEDMAS/PEMDAS) is to eliminate ambiguity, you can't have two correct answers to the same question. People who are following order of operations are correct.

pezus said:
Boutros said:
pezus said:

I belong to the second group. In the first solution you can't just make the parentheses disappear, they should still be there. So the solution will be 2.

You can add/remove parenthesis wherever you want as long as what is inside has been resolved.

In this case that doesn't work though. There's another way to solve this and get the answer 2:

48/2(9+3) = 48/(2*9 + 3*2) = 48/(18+6) = 48/24 = 2

You can't do that!

You can only add/remove a parenthesis if what's inside has already been resolved remember. So you have to add 3 to 9 first.

pezus said:
Boutros said:
http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-bodmas.html

Example: How do you work out 12 / 6 × 3 / 2 ?

Multiplication and Division rank equally, so just go left to right:

First 12 / 6 = 2, then 2 × 3 = 6, then 6 / 2 = 3

It won't work like that this time around though because there is a bracket, which implies the 2 and (9+3) should both belong to the denominator. Therefore you can't move the bracket up to the numerator.

well the example   12 / 6 × 3 / 2  is quite easy to solve by using the division represented as fractures law because i do this:

12                   3

___    x      ___ = 3

6        2

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

Boutros said:
pezus said:
Boutros said:
pezus said:

I belong to the second group. In the first solution you can't just make the parentheses disappear, they should still be there. So the solution will be 2.

You can add/remove parenthesis wherever you want as long as what is inside has been resolved.

In this case that doesn't work though. There's another way to solve this and get the answer 2:

You can't do that!

You can only add/remove a parenthesis if what's inside has already been resolved remember. So you have to add 3 to 9 first.

Acuatlly he can. It's normal math operations.

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

Around the Network
yanamaster said:
Boutros said:
pezus said:
Boutros said:
pezus said:

You can't do that!

Acuatlly he can. It's normal math operations.

It would work if all you had was 2*(9+3) but there a 48/ there that makes it so that you can't do that.

Well, i stand by the answer 2. If the original equation was 48/2*(3+9) then sure, the answer would 288, but when we have a parenthesis that looks like 2(3+9), then the 2 is part of the parenthesis and has to be calculated with what lies inside the brackets.

yanamaster said:
Well, i stand by the answer 2. If the original equation was 48/2*(3+9) then sure, the answer would 288, but when we have a parenthesis that looks like 2(3+9), then the 2 is part of the parenthesis and has to be calculated with what lies inside the brackets.

2(3+9) = 2*(3+9)

It's the exact same. And in both case 2 isn't part of the parenthesis.

yanamaster said:

My question is, how do you personally solve this equation and which answer do you think is the correct one?

It's 2. There's no pluralism in mathematics :D

LOL, true. By the rules of arithmetics it's 288 after all :D Who the f**k uses "÷"? Everyone is got used to "/". Oh well, a lot of good mathematicians were bad at arithmetics.

Boutros said:
yanamaster said:

2(3+9) = 2*(3+9)

It's the exact same. And in both case 2 isn't part of the parenthesis.

Ah, yes, of course that there is a multiplication sign in both situations, but tell me this then, how would you solve this then:

6x²+x / x*(4x+2x+1)

6x²+x / x(4x +2x +1)

?