By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Confirmed: Final Fantasy Versus XIII still in production

Tagged games:

Glad to see vsXIII hasn't been shit-canned. Looked like a true return to form...and I honestly think this will in many was be comparable to Final Fantasy VII, at least in story and aesthetics.

A nice change of pace from the RPG-on-Rails XIII.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Glad to see vsXIII hasn't been shit-canned. Looked like a true return to form...and I honestly think this will in many was be comparable to Final Fantasy VII, at least in story and aesthetics.

Really ?

Versus looks totally like an evolution of Crysis Core but nothing like the good ol' VII.

While the "on rails" XIII was trying to re-emulate X. Unless you are talking generally about production values.

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
Runa216 said:

Really ?

Versus looks totally like an evolution of Crysis Core but nothing like the good ol' VII.

While the "on rails" XIII was trying to re-emulate X. Unless you are talking generally about production values.

trying to emulate X?  sure, trying maybe,but horribly failing at. where are the side quests?  the minigames?  where is the deep and interesting villain?  where's the proper character development?  where's the quality turn based combat?  

FFX was linear, yes, but it wasn't 'on rails', and it actually gave the player freedom to explore and do sidequests.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:

Really ?

If FFVII was made today with todays production values and technology then I think what we've seen of Versus is probably a good indicator of what it would look like (similar to Crisis Core). It has a darker feel to it that's been absent from FF games for a while now.

As for X & XIII, if you list the differences between the games, I think you can see why Runa was referring to XIII as "on rails".

Runa216 said:

where's the quality turn based combat?

dead and buried in the 90s

Around the Network

Lol. If the progress is so amazing then why aren't you giving any updates or giving any new screenshots/videos? Oh right, you're probably bull-shitting (no offense).

i for one im glad Kotaku did what they did, at least now we are hearing SOMETHING about Versus 13, id bet that we wouldnt know anything right now. I wouldnt be surprised if it was multiplat, at this point i dont think it would matter

There's always TGS to look forward too. Perhaps we'll get some info then.

UnitSmiley said:
There's always TGS to look forward too. Perhaps we'll get some info then.

I hope so at TGS. If it does not show up at this years TGS, I am giving up until next years TGS. Then they will announce a release date for the PS3 on the same day PS4 launches just to mess with us lol.

Soriku said:
Runa216 said:

where's the quality turn based combat?

dead and buried in the 90s

How ironic from someone called "DigitalDevilSummoner". Pretty much all SMT games are turn based and there's a bunch on DS, PS2, PSP.

Also there's a crapload of turn based games you can find easily on the PS2, DS, and PSP as well. There's just a lack of them on consoles nowadays.

Yeah but the two games are kinda worlds apart, don't you think ? The same battle system with minor variations has been used to death by Square.

And the much underrated FF XIII battle system introduced something I always highly appreciated in SMT games: strategy.