By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Q1 - $221m loss on of revenue $1.08bn. Shipments: 1.86m 3DS, 710k Wii, 540k DS

Troll_Whisperer said:
Isn't the 3DS forecast too optimistic? They must be expecting the XL/2D Mario combination to have a huge impact.

Which it should. Nintendo always seems to gain from a Mario release and the XL is what a lot of people have wanted.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

You arent alone.  I've only be saying this for the last 2 to 3 years.... The YEN is absolutely slaughtering the Japanese exporters, couple that with reduced demand on top of a global recession that is hitting Europe really hard and you have a nightmare scenario.

I remember starting a thread about 3 years ago where I said (to paraphrase) "How can Sony afford to give a price cut in Europe when they already have?", basically the premise being that the yen had strengthened a great deal and that Sony had swallowed this (not increasing prices - as they arguably should have done) and therefore had given a price cut without giving a price cut... make sense? 

I think I understand the implications of a strong Yen, and I imagine the weakened dollar and financial instability in Europe are only aggravating the situation.

I remember this used to be an issue for Nintendo in the GC generation as well, granted to a much smaller extent.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but is it possible NoA and NoE are holding on to some of the income instead of transferring to Japan becuase NCL is waiting for a more favorable exchange rate? That would decrease NCL's cash flow and may account for the massive decline in savings.

I haven't done any exact math, but 3DS alone can't be contributing more than 1 billion dollars to the loss...

edit:

Kresnik said:

What has caused that?  3DS price cut, slow Wii sales & exchange rate?  Quite a significant loss of reserves.

edit: I suppose Wii-U R&D as well.

Wii-U manufacturing is probably more appropriate. This may be the answer to my question as well. 

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

kowenicki said:

Nintendo will publish its Q1 FY 2012 results (April 1st to June 30th) on July 25th, approximately 3pm JST.

Q1 Expectations?

Nintendo forecast a return to profit this full year (ending march 2013) to the tune of about $250m, so we can expect a loss this quarter again I think, as most of this profit will come in qtr3 and qtr4.

Nintendo cash reserves fell from $10bn to $5.9bn in the 12 months to March 2012, that needs to slow down dramatically.

That's extremely frightening. Nintendo needs to make a large positive this Holiday Season.

kowenicki said:
NintendoPie said:
kowenicki said:

Nintendo will publish its Q1 FY 2012 results (April 1st to June 30th) on July 25th, approximately 3pm JST.

Q1 Expectations?

Nintendo forecast a return to profit this full year (ending march 2013) to the tune of about $250m, so we can expect a loss this quarter again I think, as most of this profit will come in qtr3 and qtr4.

Nintendo cash reserves fell from $10bn to $5.9bn in the 12 months to March 2012, that needs to slow down dramatically.

That's extremely frightening. Nintendo needs to make a large positive this Holiday Season.

see my post above. 

I'm not sure what I'm looking at there.

kowenicki said:

so total assets fell from by 265,896,000,000 yen or about $3.5bn if my maths is correct.

$17bn to $13.5bn  (but remember this does include buildings, factories, machinery and stock etc)

quick back-of-envelope calculation:

Manufacturing of Wii U: I am guessing $200 BOM + Cost of Storage (where applicable), and 10 million units already payed for  = 2 billion dollars.

I originally imagined 3DS was incurring minimal losses to Nintendo, but that may not be the case, so it could (worst case scenario) add up to nearly another billion.

Either that or my guess for Wii U is too low. Am I correct in assuming Wii Us that are being built right now are not counted in inventory? That seems to make sense according to the decreased amount vs. last year..

the original trolls

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

Thise figures are for the end of March though.  I doubt any of routine WiiU manufacturing costs are in there?  They wouldnt pay up front for that surely.

The biggest loss here will be primarily the Yen coupled with 3DS price reduction.

For example, Sony loses about 6 billion yen of operating income for every 1 yen movement in the wrong direction. The Euro is currently trading almost 10 below what they forecast, so Sony have lost 60 billion yen ($766m) of operating income simply as a result of the Yen/Euro change

Thanks for clearing that up. This brings me back to my initial question:

"Maybe this is a stupid question, but is it possible NoA and NoE are holding on to some of the income instead of transferring to Japan becuase NCL is waiting for a more favorable exchange rate?"

More appropriately, why wouldn't NCL do this?

the original trolls

kowenicki said:

Not sure on the rules on that, but i dont think it works that way I'm afraid.

Markets just opened.

Nintendo down 1.55% (which is in line with the Dow actually, so no great alarm)

Sony down 4% already to 11.65 (under 12 for the first time in years) - market cap down to $11.65bn - unbelievable really. Thats down 44% in just 3 months since the Kaz speech. Scary stuff.

thanks again. Maybe I should have taken an economics class in college instead of some of the more abstract stuff I did

the original trolls

Troll_Whisperer said:
Isn't the 3DS forecast too optimistic? They must be expecting the XL/2D Mario combination to have a huge impact.

If so, then they would have been predicting too far ahead. 2D Mario is clearly Q3/fiscal Q2

The big problem here is that they pegged their predictions on the Japanese Treasury's confidence that they could reverse deflation, which was only a flash in the pan. Plus i'm not sure if the 3DS has actually hit profitability yet (i think their target for that was fiscal Q2, specifically next month), so we could be in for more bad news.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

If so, then they would have been predicting too far ahead. 2D Mario is clearly Q3/fiscal Q2

The big problem here is that they pegged their predictions on the Japanese Treasury's confidence that they could reverse deflation, which was only a flash in the pan. Plus i'm not sure if the 3DS has actually hit profitability yet (i think their target for that was fiscal Q2, specifically next month), so we could be in for more bad news.

I remember a report saying they'll get profitability in September. Hopefully that means the holiday month will really help them out.

kowenicki said:
Mr Khan said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

I think thats a certainty.  Iwata has already said they arent porfitable yet, so this Q1 (and prob Q2) is a write off.  The WiiU launch has to be a very good one or they wont be profitable for the year.  I think its that simple.

So long as they don't sell Wii U for a loss, 2D Mario alone should make software sales fairly brisk, but yes, it will need to be all the stronger to make up for the weaker first half.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.