By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: Final Fantasy Versus XIII Is Dead

Source: Kotaku 

"One source tells Kotaku that Final Fantasy Versus XIII was officially cancelled within the last few weeks. The decision impacted morale at Square Enix and staff were reportedly saddened by the move.

Square Enix, this source added, has also decided to let Final Fantasy Versus XIII die quietly on the vine and fade away, instead of officially announcing its cancellation. This would likely be due to the fact a public acknowledgement of a Versus' cancellation could impact things like Square Enix's stock prices.

Another source tells Kotaku that, a few months back, Final Fantasy Versus XIII'sdevelopment and resources had actually been folded into another game, which is to be the next numeric Final Fantasy title, Final Fantasy XV. Whether this meant actual game assets and code or simply the movement of staff was unclear. This information was independently corroborated by yet another source, though it's important to note both had learned of the "folding" prior to the more recent news of its outright cancellation.

So, is Final Fantasy Versus XIII finally and officially dead? Without confirmation from Square Enix, we can't say for sure. While these reports certainly indicate the long-awaited game has been cancelled, Square's reluctance to acknowledge them means those desperately wanting to see more of the project still have a glimmer of hope to hold onto.

But if the game fails to make an appearance at either the upcoming Final Fantasy celebrations or the 2012 Tokyo Game Show? Then yeah, given what we've heard (particularly of Square's reported desire to kill the game quietly), you'd be a lot safer assuming Versus XIII is kaput and start looking forward to the next big FF game.

Around the Network

We've known this for years.

badgenome said:

Yes but now it is official! i feel bad for all the weeaboos with their Noctis avatar lol! 

maverick40 said:
badgenome said:

Yes but now it is official! i feel bad for all the weeaboos with their Noctis avatar lol! 

Is isn't official unless SE says its cancelled, but I did say FFv13 would become FF15 a while back ;)

TeddostheFireKing said:
maverick40 said:
badgenome said:

Is isn't official unless SE says its cancelled, but I did say FFv13 would become FF15 a while back ;)

This game has been vapourware for the last 6 years. 

Around the Network

...(complete silence)..

Its possible their recominbing teams, etc things like that. And this game could become FF13-3.

I personally dont see it as FF15, because that would be done by the FF12 team.

I cant say i really care, all they really showed us is some cutscenes, with no context of whats going on. Maybe 30 secs of gameplay.

Is it really acceptable for a game in devlopment of 5-7 years to have shown only 30 secs - 1min of gameplay to the fans.

At the moment this is just a rumour, i'm sure the game is in reality nearly finished, and they will announce it soon. i very much doubt its cancelled. I dont think games that are in development for 6 years, with huge production costs get cut 6/7 years down the line.

Didn't Versus have a music from its soundtrack put into the Theatrythm game?

It doesn't seem likely that they would put it in and then cancel the development for Versus XIII....

If it wasn't named "Final Fantasy" everyone would of already assumed it was canceled.

That said, hope it's not. Still think it looked better then FF13.

"Square Enix, this source added, has also decided to let Final Fantasy Versus XIII die quietly on the vine and fade away, instead of officially announcing its cancellation."

1/10 had me going for a second before source messed up.