By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mafia Is Great, Isn't it?

Mafia Round 44 - Sign-up Thread

Written largely by WordsofWisdom, whom we miss and love.

Mafia is a classic party game.  Each player in the game is assigned a role which is part of a team and they do their best to see that their team wins.

The two main teams are Townsfolk and Mafia.

The game is separated into Day and Night.  During the Day, the Townsfolk votes to (hopefully) lynch a Mafia member.  Meanwhile, the Mafia pretend to be Townsfolk and try to lynch innocent people.  During the Night, the Mafia side choose to kill one person and get themselves closer to winning.  There may also be additional teams; you will recieve specific instructions if you are in one.

Goals

• The Townsfolk win when all the Mafia are dead.
  • The Mafia win when victory is inevitable; generally this is when they outnumber (or equal) the Townsfolk and any other scum faction is dead.

How to Sign up & Play

• Post your name in the list below.
  • When the "Mafia Round 44 - Game Thread" is made, you will receive a PM with your role.
  • After "Day 1 begin" is posted, you may begin.

Typical Roles

Cop

• You win when all the Mafia are dead.
  • During the day, you vote to lynch someone.
  • During the night, you choose someone to investigate by sending me a PM.
    • If my response is "guilty" then the person is Mafia.
    • If my response is "innocent" then the person is not Mafia.

Doctor

• You win when all the Mafia are dead.
  • During the night, you choose someone to protect by sending me a PM.
    • If the Mafia choose the same person you do, the person lives.
    • If the Mafia choose someone else the person dies.

Mafia

• You win when you outnumber or make up half the living players.
  • During the night, you talk with your fellow Mafia and choose someone to murder by sending the mod a PM.

For other roles and typical terms, check out http://mafiascum.net/

Misc. Rules

• Never talk about the game outside of the game thread unless your role allows it (e.g. Mafia).
  • Never post your role PM.
  • Never post in the thread after Night falls. 
  • Do not talk after you've been killed, lynched, or otherwise discombobulated.
  • Don't take the game too seriously; remember, it's all just for fun.
  • The length of days and nights will be determined by the host of the round.

Please only sign up if you are going to play.  The game may last for weeks, and will have hundreds of posts which you will be expected to read and be able to comment on intelligently.  You must be able to do these things or your teammates will hate you and you will hurt the game. 

Rules for Round 44:

- There is currently no time limit planned for Days in this game; however, one may be instituted upon demand (1/3 of players) or modly decision before the game starts. 
- Nights will probably have a set duration, for example 48 hours. 
- If/when a time limit is in effect, players may vote to extend the day for 24 hours

et cetera

Host:
???

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

All right, so here's the deal.  I had expressed a desire to run a game, and apparently you guys have decided to honor me by letting me host Game 44, but I recently realized that the game I was planning could be too easily sent off the rails by mass claims. 

I could solve the problem by making the game "dark", i.e. hiding the flips, and I think the game would still work, but I am not particularly fond of being confronted with that scenario and I wouldn't want to subject you to a game I wouldn't care to play.  Alternatively, I could just come up with something new. 

Also, in the upcoming two weeks I will be on vacation, and although I will have intenet access for most of it I will be ... rather preoccupied for much of the time.  I'd say I could PLAY a game of Mafia just fine, but I'm not sure I could be a good mod without a co-mod.  (What with needing to regularly update votals and answer potential questions in a timely manner and so on.)

So in light of those two facts, I'm opening up the mod slot for Game 44.  Please comment on both of these important issues.  Do you want the "dark game"?  Do you think I overestimate the time it takes to come up with votals, or the frequency they are needed?  Et cetera. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Are there going to be two mafia games running simultaneously?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=145506&page=1

mantlepiecek said:
Are there going to be two mafia games running simultaneously?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=145506&page=1

No; I was unaware that the other thread had already been created, and I was too foolish to double check the forums.  I will edit this thread's title to forestall confusion. 

Yeah, mafia is great! :D

Let Finalfan run the next one :o

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network

If your fear of mass claims comes from name claims, why not shift the names to more peripheral characters, at least for some players? That should reduce the danger.

That wouldn't solve the problem; it's more like mass ROLE claims would break the game. I guess I could just completely forbid roleclaiming.

Is this a "dark" game running along the larger one?

1. Spryan
2. j0

I don't mind playing and modding.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

WAIT

did you already have dibs to host 44? -_-

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."