By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Concept of Going to Heaven...

Ok I see a debate going on.LOL

I will just state a theory of mine.

I think that since Information never disappears and that everything around you takes in information, that in theory everything will hold that information for ever. All your thoughts effect atoms and things around you, your actions, and ect.. So I think that maybe your after life can be living back through your life's information. Cause if time is a illusion then the things you do or say or think will never be lost, Never! This is just a thought, I guess not a full blown theory but in reality no one knows. This is why people need religion because it scares the sh-t out of them.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
Kasz216 said:
You really haven't been reading this thread have you...

but no... I do understand Kohlbergs moral reasoning... I was tested on it more then enough.

You are showing your lack of understanding of it by just the mere fact that your trying to apply it to written philosphical beliefs in the first place.

It's like your saying "Our legal code is stage 1, because laws only tell you what laws are and don't give reasoning for why the exist."

One might as well conclude Teddy Bears are dead because "Teddy Bears don't breath, have brainwaves or vital signs."

Outside that... you don't even understand what Kohlberg's stages are... as shown by you erroniously refering to stage 3 as "The Golden Rule."

As for Stage 1... you don't need ANY reason for Stage 1.  That is the pure narrowness of stage 1.

Because God said so... or Because it's unclean are beyond the scope of stage 1.

When given the bible... a person who reads "Do not eat pigs they are unclean" would say when faced with the dilema of not touching pigs (if he decides to not eat the pig....)

"I should not eat pigs.  It's against the law."   God, or being Unclean would never enter in to it in the first place.

Stuff like " I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage." before then 10 commandments would be pointless.  (You should do what I say because I freed you from slavery.) wouldn't be in there.  It'd be pointless.

Though I suppose the biggest flaw in your argument though is that Kohlberg generally considered Jesus to be in the 6th stage of moral development.  (Note Kohlberg's jewish).

Now what records of Jesus beliefs and moral code exist from which to draw this conclusion of Jesus?

Only the Bible. (You know... if you believe that jesus existed as a historical person.  Whether you or I do is highly irrelevent though.)

So to claim the bible holds no justifications for why people should act... when Kohlberg is using the justifications given in the bible as for why Jesus was a 6th level person.... seems a bit off.   Worth noting that while he would analyze Jesus, he wouldn't suggest the actual writings had any level of moral reasoning at all... be they 1, 3, 5 or 7. (7 is not a typo by the way... i'd rather not have to go into it if I don't have to.)

Well unless you don't think Kohlberg is a good judge of Kohlbergs work.

Also by the way "My modified Golden Rule?"

Trust me.  You aren't a 6th level thinker.  Kohlberg reserved that only for very specific and rare people... Gahndi or MLK you ain't.

If Kohlberg really considers 6th level to be that rare, then I'm just going to have to disagree with him on that point. Stage 6 involves a broader level of morality than simple human rights.

So in otherwords... you didn't even bother reading the full Wikipedia article on Kohlbergs stages.... if you did... you would of noticed this.

"Although Kohlberg insisted that stage six exists, he found it difficult to identify individuals who consistently operated at that level."

Kohlberg never observed ANYBODY to be in stage 6 consistantly.  Instead he only hypothisized that some of man's greatest civil rights leaders were stage 6.  Jesus, Gahndi, Martin Luther King...

Much like Maslow's hierarchy of needs... the "Top level" isn't a stage people reach permanently...but instead something someone may claw up to temporarily... outside extreme cases.

This bit betrays your ignorance of Kohlbergs system.  You aren't argueing Kohlbergs system.

What you are argueing is your own moral development belief which you've superimposed over Kohlbergs for credibility... twisting and distorting the meaning of his different stages to fit your own world view.   You see stage six as being much more vast... because you don't truley understand what his stage 6 means.

Also worth noting is that neither you nor Prof noticed another sentence in there... which I really didn't want to bring up... until Kohlberg's moral reasoning principles were understood... because like I've mentioned before.  I think Kohlberg work sucks... and this really tends to ratchet up the debate 1000% fold for stupid reasons... but to hell with it.   Lets go all in, shall we.

"Kohlberg suggested that there may be a seventh stage—Transcendental Morality, or Morality of Cosmic Orientation—which linked religion with moral reasoning"

This is why I said "Generally" earlier.  Kohlberg thought Jesus was a stage 6, until later on in life, when he saw Jesus as one of two people who would qualify for Stage 7.  (Mohammed was the other.)

Stage 7 answering "What is moral" in the truist sense of the word... by becoming one with the "Nature of God."

Kohlberg saw Moral reasoning and Relgious Reasoning as different things altogether... even had a different six point scale for religous reasoning... one had to reach the top of both, and then move beyond merging the two.

Hence the ultimate folly of trying to use Kohlbergs stages for religion is that... Kohlberg has a totally different scale for it.  

Perhaps the 7th level will finally exorcise your opinions from the misapropriated husk of Kohlberg's work...

For Kohlberg... religion is needed for "Ultimate moral enlightenment..." and I really wanted to avoid people jumping in and trying to start the old stupid "Can atheists be moral" arguement based on a hypotehtical 7th stage that's beyond a hypothetical 6th stage.

spaceguy said:

I think that since Information never disappears and that everything around you takes in information, that in theory everything will hold that information for ever. All your thoughts effect atoms and things around you, your actions, and ect.. So I think that maybe your after life can be living back through your life's information. Cause if time is a illusion then the things you do or say or think will never be lost, Never! This is just a thought, I guess not a full blown theory but in reality no one knows. This is why people need religion because it scares the sh-t out of them.

Ok, here's the thing... it's not that "Time is an illusion."

It's that "sequential" time is somewhat of an illusion.  That time is like a 4th dimension that we can't fully perceive.

The 3 dimensions we live in now aren't illusions.  One way to think of it is... imagine you are a 2D being on a sheet of paper. 

Now image a pencil being held next to the paper.  You would only ever perceive one piece of that pencil at any given time.

Ah wait... found a good article rather then having to go through more of this... thank god.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2011/09/01/ten-things-everyone-should-know-about-time/

Though this doesn't go into what we know as time and what Stephen Hawking goes call "Real time" and all that... but screw it.  I've had enough with the explaining of complex ass theories and I don't have any source matieral handy.

Essentially though to go through it further in one a couple sentences... if time was created at the same time the universe was and 3 dimensions were from a single point that was without dimensions and without time...

essentially "True Reality" can exist without space or time.   Meaning that it's likely it will all be destroyed, compressed or whatever... making everything cease to exist.

True reality being what existed before the big bang.  (argueably, nothing.)

Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:

It's that "sequential" time is somewhat of an illusion.  That time is like a 4th dimension that we can't fully perceive.

The 3 dimensions we live in now aren't illusions.  One way to think of it is... imagine you are a 2D being on a sheet of paper. 

Now image a pencil being held next to the paper.  You would only ever perceive one piece of that pencil at any given time.

Ah wait... found a good article rather then having to go through more of this... thank god.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2011/09/01/ten-things-everyone-should-know-about-time/

Though this doesn't go into what we know as time and what Stephen Hawking goes call "Real time" and all that... but screw it.  I've had enough with the explaining of complex ass theories and I don't have any source matieral handy.

I understand how the dimensions work. I just didn't word it right. The point of information was my point. I understand cause you can move back, forth, right, left, up and down. Three dimensions and then time space being 4th. The heavier the object the slower the time. I get all that bro. I just worded it wrong.

No need to explain. I was typing fast. I was making the point, that maybe in the after life we can go back to your past information.

spaceguy said:
Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:

I understand how the dimensions work. I just didn't word it right. The point of information was my point. I understand cause you can move back, forth, right, left, up and down. Three dimensions and then time space being 4th. The heavier the object the slower the time. I get all that bro. I just worded it wrong.

Yeah but i mean... if time is another dimension... that existed during the big bang.... that means in fact it CAN be destroyed... and therefore, sometime in the future, our reality will be destroyed and all that will be left is what was there before the big bang.

Every watch Deepsapce 9?  Say you have it on T-VO.   While the wormhole alien may eventually die, it will also simaltaniously live through the moments it lived.

If you delete DS9 from your DVR though... it's fucked.  It no longer exists.  If that makes any sense to you.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:
Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:

Yeah but i mean... if time is another dimension... that existed during the big bang.... that means in fact it CAN be destroyed... and therefore, sometime in the future, our reality will be destroyed and all that will be left is what was there before the big bang.

Well I think time was created when in fact the big bang went bang or maybe it did before as well. Wonder how the higgs boson plays into all this. I get it is like the fuse that made the bang and gave us mass. I'm going to have to read up more on that.

spaceguy said:
Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:
Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:

Well I think time was created when in fact the big bang went bang or maybe it did before as well. Wonder how the higgs boson plays into all this. I get it is like the fuse that made the bang and gave us mass. I'm going to have to read up more on that.

That's largely where "Time" and "Real Time" fit in... and i'm really just going to suggest a brief history of time... cause it's so hard to explain.

Though the main point is... based on current scientific knowledge  a "Reincarnation through time" afterlife is just as much of a fantasy as a religious afterlife if you are an atheist... for time will be destroyed.

I suppose a better example would be the Sims.  You have your sims, they die, then you delete the sims. However, the data is still around... saved on the harddirve.

Except eventually the hard drive will die... and all data will be lost for real, and permanently... those sims ceasing to exist... the hard drive will be recycled and repurposed.  (Our memories of them don't matter because we are "outside" their reality.

That will be the fate of the universe... eventually.

Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:
Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:
Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:

That's largely where "Time" and "Real Time" fit in... and i'm really just going to suggest a brief history of time... cause it's so hard to explain.

Though the main point is... based on current scientific knowledge  a "Reincarnation through time" afterlife is just as much of a fantasy as a religious afterlife if you are an atheist... for time will be destroyed.

I suppose a better example would be the Sims.  You have your sims, they die, then you delete the sims. However, the data is still around... saved on the harddirve.

Except eventually the hard drive will die... and all data will be lost for real, and permanently... those sims ceasing to exist... the hard drive will be recycled and repurposed.  (Our memories of them don't matter because we are "outside" their reality.

Unless we come out of a white hole and all the data just keeps tranfering over. I'm agnostic and I'm more Skeptic about a after life then anything but I just like to through Idea's around. However Steven Hawkings Admitted that he was wrong to leonard susskind about information dissapearing. I'm to tired, I'm mispelling everything and missing sh-t. i will get back to you on this tomorrow.

spaceguy said:
Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:
Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:
Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:

Unless we come out of a white hole and all the data just keeps tranfering over. I'm agnostic and I'm more Skeptic about a after life then anything but I just like to through Idea's around. However Steven Hawkings Admitted that he was wrong to leonard susskind about information dissapearing. I'm to tired, I'm mispelling everything and missing sh-t. i will get back to you on this tomorrow.

EDIT above.

Kasz216 said:
So in otherwords... you didn't even bother reading the full Wikipedia article on Kohlbergs stages.... if you did... you would of noticed this.

"Although Kohlberg insisted that stage six exists, he found it difficult to identify individuals who consistently operated at that level."

Kohlberg never observed ANYBODY to be in stage 6 consistantly.  Instead he only hypothisized that some of man's greatest civil rights leaders were stage 6.  Jesus, Gahndi, Martin Luther King...

Much like Maslow's hierarchy of needs... the "Top level" isn't a stage people reach permanently...but instead something someone may claw up to temporarily... outside extreme cases.

This bit betrays your ignorance of Kohlbergs system.  You aren't argueing Kohlbergs system.

What you are argueing is your own moral development belief which you've superimposed over Kohlbergs for credibility... twisting and distorting the meaning of his different stages to fit your own world view.   You see stage six as being much more vast... because you don't truley understand what his stage 6 means.

Also worth noting is that neither you nor Prof noticed another sentence in there... which I really didn't want to bring up... until Kohlberg's moral reasoning principles were understood... because like I've mentioned before.  I think Kohlberg work sucks... and this really tends to ratchet up the debate 1000% fold for stupid reasons... but to hell with it.   Lets go all in, shall we.

"Kohlberg suggested that there may be a seventh stage—Transcendental Morality, or Morality of Cosmic Orientation—which linked religion with moral reasoning"

This is why I said "Generally" earlier.  Kohlberg thought Jesus was a stage 6, until later on in life, when he saw Jesus as one of two people who would qualify for Stage 7.  (Mohammed was the other.)

Stage 7 answering "What is moral" in the truist sense of the word... by becoming one with the "Nature of God."

Kohlberg saw Moral reasoning and Relgious Reasoning as different things altogether... even had a different six point scale for religous reasoning... one had to reach the top of both, and then move beyond merging the two.

Hence the ultimate folly of trying to use Kohlbergs stages for religion is that... Kohlberg has a totally different scale for it.

Perhaps the 7th level will finally exorcise your opinions from the misapropriated husk of Kohlberg's work...

For Kohlberg... religion is needed for "Ultimate moral enlightenment..." and I really wanted to avoid people jumping in and trying to start the old stupid "Can atheists be moral" arguement based on a hypotehtical 7th stage that's beyond a hypothetical 6th stage.

One can understand and then not entirely agree. I look at Kohlberg's stages, and I view the sixth stage as something that can be considered part of society's development - that is, people will reach the sixth stage more often as society matures. As for the "seventh stage", it sounds very much like an artificial way to try to enforce religion in what should be a secular topic of discussion. And if Kohlberg truly believed that there's a level of morality that can only be described as "cosmic-level", then I simply disagree with him. Kind of like how one can consider, say, Miyamoto to be the greatest game developer in the world, and still consider one of his games to be entirely bad. Nobody is perfect, and you take from the theory up until you consider it to not make sense.

And again, I wasn't applying the stages to religion, but to the religious. There's a difference. I do not comment on the morality of murder, but on the way that people arrive at that morality - and the bible establishes it as simple obedience, "god says do not murder". This doesn't mean that all religious people are stage 1, but that the bible operates as a stage 1 morality.

The very fact that you think that the 7th stage imples "atheists can't be moral", or opens up discussions on that topic, shows that YOU don't understand the stages. They're not about the morals themselves. That's made abundantly clear. They're about how one FORMS the morals. It's about the justification BEHIND the morals. One could be at stage 6 and consider murder to be morally acceptable.