By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Blue-ray surpasses 1 m sold mark

good news no doubt for BD camp but the format war is still far from over.

http://www.tmcnet.com/news/it/2007/04/23/2540084.htm

Around the Network

i gues the ps3 has had an affect on the HD format War... because BD players have sold less than Hd DVd... but the BD movies are selling more.... I hate to say it but i think Blu Ray will win out but the HD market is small right now so it doesnt even matter...    

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

nice, death to hddvd.

From January 1-March 31, consumers bought almost 1.2 million high-definition discs -- 832,530 Blu-ray units and 359,300 HD DVDs -- according to Home Media Magazine. In March, consumers bought 335,980 Blu-ray Discs and 119,570 HD DVDs.

Since the high-def format's inception -- HD DVD launched in April 2006, while Blu-ray got rolling two months later -- more than 2.14 million discs have been purchased by consumers: 1.2 million Blu-ray Discs and about 937,500 HD DVDs.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=6572

Even if ALL of those are Sony giveaways (I have no idea if any of them are, but there was talk that numbers were merely inflated by freebies), Blu-Ray is going to win this thing. It has 90% of the movies, and it has PS3.

The question is: What size does the market become? If Blu-Ray wins, and then essentially dies anyways a year later, or if it just carves out a 6 or 10% niche, then all the discussion and all the money invested doesn't mean much. I think PS3 ensures it at least has that niche, but will anyone outside of the PS3 ownerbase buy Blu-Ray players and movies?

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

70 Percent of hi def movies sold in Q1 were Blue Ray, people need to start realizing it's just a matter of time...

As for will people move to Blu Ray en masse, eventually everyone is going to move to high definition, in 3 years Blue Ray will be a big chunk of total movie sales in the 1st world.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:

70 Percent of hi def movies sold in Q1 were Blue Ray, people need to start realizing it's just a matter of time...

As for will people move to Blu Ray en masse, eventually everyone is going to move to high definition, in 3 years Blue Ray will be a big chunk of total movie sales in the 1st world.

BluRay hashad a HORRIBLE Q1. There have been like 3 things released exclusive to it. Mid-late 2007 is gonna be when BluRay does 10 to 1 sales.

Basically BluRay has won. The sooner HD-DVD pulls out of the market, the sonner HD will take hold. As soon as HD takes hold, the PS3/360 combo will fly. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

RolStoppable said:

On topic: Nothing much to say, topics from larry (washimul?) are pretty much irrelevant.

Could be washimul, but the lack of capatilization makes me think it's not 'THE GREAT WASHIMUL'.

as WASHIMUL has to TALK like this with EVERY few words in ALL caps. I dont really KNOW why he has to do THIS like this, as it is REALLY weird. 

I just wanna say really quick what I mean by the PS3/360 combo. As I am now calling them a combo, becuase it seems like 3rd party devs have said 'F*K you' to both sony and microsoft about exclusives, and are just releasing them on both consoles. The appeal will be very simiar between the two, and the games will be simiar. I say combo, but you will have a 70-30 chance of likeing one console or the other. (as in one person would think 70% PS3 and 30% 360. And the other person would say 70% 360 and 30% PS3)

Basically the PS3/360 sales are gonna be VERY similar over the next year I feel, and as the exclusives show up for the PS3, the sales will start to get a gap, but that will take time. (a gap in sales) 

With 3 exclusives Blu Ray still had 70% of hi def movies sold in Q1....

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!