By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Was the U.S Constitution inspired by God (like is said of the Bible)?

This artist thinks so:

http://www.mcnaughtonart.com/artwork/view_zoom/?artpiece_id=353

Ok, I had a bit of a concern that the artist was saying Jesus gave the world the U.S Constitution.  But, the artist only says the Constitution is God inspired (same is said of the Bible though).

Around the Network

Wow.. thats impressive.

Yay!!!

What I know of the founding fathers' religious beliefs is that they were mostly deists. They believed that there was some form of god that created the universe (which was hard to not believe at the time), but they didn't believe it was a personal god that cared about us in any important way. Most felt organized religion was merely a tool to control the masses, and played the part of the devout Christian in public.

Check out Thomas Jefferson's The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth (aka the Jefferson Bible) or Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason.

One could probably argue that men like Jefferson were strongly influenced by their Christian backgrounds, but I would argue that a larger cultural evolution that gradually lead to the widespread adoption of Christianity amongst Europeans is what also lead to men like Jefferson ridding themselves of organized religion and coming to hold the values they did.

Nice drawing.

My view: while the US Constitution has no direct linkings to God, the measures put into the Constitution do heavily reflect the points made in the Declaration of Independence... which obviously has many religious connotations. The DoI was also the first Act passed by Congress, to argue that the framers of the Constitution were not atleast somewhat influenced by religion, is to be in denial*

The Bill of Rights, also, is heavily based on the natural law. Supporting the natural law doesn't require religion (I support this philosophy, and I am not religious), but many of the arguments made for this philosophy, particularly in the past, were based on religious teachings ("I am made in the image of God, as God is perfectly free, I am perfectly free").

* I'm fully aware that some of the founders, including Jefferson, were not Christians... however, he was a deist.

I can't remember where I saw it, but I recall an article stating that the US Constitution was inspired by the Iroquois Confederacy.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
Nice drawing.

My view: while the US Constitution has no direct linkings to God, the measures put into the Constitution do heavily reflect the points made in the Declaration of Independence... which obviously has many religious connotations. The DoI was also the first Act passed by Congress, to argue that the framers of the Constitution were not atleast somewhat influenced by religion, is to be in denial*

The Bill of Rights, also, is heavily based on the natural law. Supporting the natural law doesn't require religion (I support this philosophy, and I am not religious), but many of the arguments made for this philosophy, particularly in the past, were based on religious teachings ("I am made in the image of God, as God is perfectly free, I am perfectly free").

* I'm fully aware that some of the founders, including Jefferson, were not Christians... however, he was a deist.

Natural Law was more an approach of the philosophes of the Enlightenment, and so an extension of Deism (or pre-enlightenment philosophers like Locke). Christianity often ran in a different direction vis-a-vis the rights of man according to God. Catholic human-rights philosophy focuses on "the dignity of the individual," and so is more entitlement-based than Natural Law philosophy, leading to the Catholic Church's more worldy nature compared often to Protestantism

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

My religion (lds/mormon) believes the constitution was inspired by god. So yes, I believe so.

the professor holds "the origin of species" in his hands. pretty impressive details everywhere.  just put as example the mouse above the red sash, it is in hebrew and he explains what it means.

Mr Khan said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Nice drawing.

Natural Law was more an approach of the philosophes of the Enlightenment, and so an extension of Deism (or pre-enlightenment philosophers like Locke). Christianity often ran in a different direction vis-a-vis the rights of man according to God. Catholic human-rights philosophy focuses on "the dignity of the individual," and so is more entitlement-based than Natural Law philosophy, leading to the Catholic Church's more worldy nature compared often to Protestantism

Deism: All the piety of active theism, without any meddling by God, so you get to call the shots... in keeping with the design of the universe of course.

Depends on how you think the bible was created.

Most of the important founding fathers were actually deists.... BUT they were mostly Christian Deists.

That is... deists who denied Jesus' godliness but accepted his teachings as truth.  It's funny that someone above tried to use the Jefferson Bible above as an example that he wasn't Christian... when in reality it showed his belief in jesus' teachings were particularly strong, since he went to the trouble of rewriting the whole thing.  Cutting out specifically what jesus said.  Worth noting, after his death it strated being published, and was given to any new Congressmen who joined congress for a while.   So it very clearly wasn't some distatestful heretical work to most of the christians at the time... I can only image the outrage too if the government gave that book to entering congressment to read now adays as well.  Since people continue to misrepresent what seperation between church and State meant. (Only that there would be no laws supporting one religion over another.)

The question isn't so much "How do you think the constitution was created" So much as... "How do you think the bible was created."

That the constitution was created with a heavy influence from Christianity is beyond debate, hell everything everybody does in the west is still heavily influenced by Christianity, even those who have joined other religions or are full out atheists.

General western philosophy and our moral code come directly from it.

So, though only way to agree with the author is if I think it happened in another way. Which is, the bible as constructed which wasn't a real thing until long after Jesus' death was constructed as a bonding ethos for one nation.

Which arguably, it was, the current bible more or less coming together by Roman decree for Christianity to "figure it out" and get rid of all other teachings except for a core book.