By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - European Union court: Consumers have the right to re-sell their Digitally Distributed games

JazzB1987 said:
German law says if you have to SCROLL down while reading terms and eulas because there is so much text they are automatically invalid because you might skip 1 line of text.

I wish my bank, cell company and almost any service provider get that memo, they usually push you with 20 papers and say sign here, here and here... 

Personally, I dont see much diffrence between an EULA and this... beside that kids use EULA as well and we got used to dismiss them.

Around the Network
mor2 said:

@Mnementh , This guy has also few good points:
http://www.gamerlaw.co.uk/2012/07/legality-of-second-hand-sales-in-eu.html

@Kasz216, I asked you a simple question how steam(and/or developers) will not loose money when I am going to buy less games. Also as for the basic economy, services like gamefly need four huge wherehouses, hundreds of employes, deal with damaged dvds and deal with disterbution, Steam on the other gand need to host server farms and pay for bandwidth while in my extreme example all i'll need a simple ~server and hosting plan(i.e. if thier payment plans wont change I'll make millions of leaching of thier hardwork) or if you want in the most basic case, it will cost me a tweet between my friends. 

I answered.  Most people will buy MORE games because they will get money from selling their used games. 

The people who buy those used games will mostly be people who would of never bought them at full price.

And again, your website won't work.  People have been trying ideas like that forever.  The amount of people using such a site would be minimal.

I this is a big reason why cryteks ceo was going about about trying to make everything free to play in the future. It would essentially kill the concept of selling digital copies and will maybe happen

yum123 said:
I this is a big reason why cryteks ceo was going about about trying to make everything free to play in the future. It would essentially kill the concept of selling digital copies and will maybe happen

I wouldn't be surprised if one day, things like DLC and virtual items sold in free-to-play games were also the subject of lawsuits and court rulings to avoid further loopholes.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

noname2200 said:

SamuelRSmith said:

Before you buy something, it is first the producer's property. If they want to put on obligations (such as not being able to resell) that you agree to, then the producer should be able to enforce those obligations. If you don't agree to those obligations, don't continue with the transaction. You have no right to play games, but that have property rights.

Thankfully, we don't live in a libertarian world. Regulations on sales and other property rights have existed for millenia, and for good reason. The First Sale question in particular was settled contrary to your beliefs over a century ago.*

I respect your right to cling to a vision of an ideal world where equal bargaining power between the parties always exists, but I'm personally delighted that this court at least does not subscribe to such.

*At least in the United States. I'm ignorant of Europe's history with same.

Quite clearly, this particular regulation only happened a few days ago. Not millenia. It's a shit law. If we leave it for a thousand years, it's still a shit law.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

mor2 said:

@Kasz216, I asked you a simple question how steam(and/or developers) will not loose money when I am going to buy less games. Also as for the basic economy, services like gamefly need four huge wherehouses, hundreds of employes, deal with damaged dvds and deal with disterbution, Steam on the other gand need to host server farms and pay for bandwidth while in my extreme example all i'll need a simple ~server and hosting plan(i.e. if thier payment plans wont change I'll make millions of leaching of thier hardwork) or if you want in the most basic case, it will cost me a tweet between my friends. 

I answered.  Most people will buy MORE games because they will get money from selling their used games. 

The people who buy those used games will mostly be people who would of never bought them at full price.

And again, your website won't work.  People have been trying ideas like that forever.  The amount of people using such a site would be minimal.

Care to back that up? because it seems that you are feeding me with gamestop model, but there is no resale fee here, or store credits. I am telling you that if this was possible I'd basicly stop buying games and would share them with my friends... 

The only way that steam can still profit from that is if this move will bring more customers to them (the way discounts work) which I highly doubt, because the services they provide cost them money and do not take in consideration this.  The developers on the other hand, who already scrap the bottom and studios are closed left and right, will see even lower profit margin and cannot continue, if Steam would go this way I suspect they will take their buisness to other platforms that dont.

As for the extreme case example, such websites dont work, you mean something like piratebay or megaupload? 

Nice period for citizens' digital rights here in Europe, the EU Parliament also rejected ACTA with a vast majority.

W00t! W00t!! W00t!!!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Nice period for citizens' digital rights here in Europe, the EU Parliament also rejected ACTA with a vast majority.

W00t! W00t!! W00t!!!

It's nice to see the European Union do something good once in a while.

mor2 said:
Kasz216 said:

mor2 said:

Care to back that up? because it seems that you are feeding me with gamestop model, but there is no resale fee here, or store credits. I am telling you that if this was possible I'd basicly stop buying games and would share them with my friends... 

The only way that steam can still profit from that is if this move will bring more customers to them (the way discounts work) which I highly doubt, because the services they provide cost them money and do not take in consideration this.  The developers on the other hand, who already scrap the bottom and studios are closed left and right, will see even lower profit margin and cannot continue, if Steam would go this way I suspect they will take their buisness to other platforms that dont.

As for the extreme case example, such websites dont work, you mean something like piratebay or megaupload? 

Care to back what up?  That most people who buy used wouldn't of paid full price?  That's called basic economic common sense.

It's called the price curve... Videogames re already RIDICULIOUSLY frontloaded, outside of games that are specifically known for their replayability to the point where people stil play them 5-10 years later. (Therefore wouldn't resell..)

Again, take a class in economics... it's very very basic economics that a 101 class should teach you.

However, EA use this bullshit code system "online pass" where only one account is able to play online unless you buy more codes. In other words, used copies will require a new code once purchased...

Smart move, EA.