By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter about the Sony/Gaikai deal inside

wfz said:
withdreday said:
osed125 said:
BasilZero said:

System specs are pretty much dependent on your internet (same with the lag).

Oh god if that is true I won't be able to play any game properly, my internet sucks!

It's true. I just went to Gaikai's  website and tried to stream Crysis 2. I can't say it ran at more than 15-20 fps. And my internet is 800kps(supposed to be 5.5mbs, but this is At&T we're talking about).

If anyone thinks this will replace consoles, they should just try it out for 10 minutes. They'll come running back.

I might be wrong, but I think your internet problems stem from the fact that ISP's list their internet speeds in "Bits" while most downloads calculate speed using "Bytes." 

And Bytes are 8x larger than Bits, I believe. That would mean a speed of 5.5"mbps" (listed in bits) is actually around 700KBPS (bytes). 

I think...

That could be the case. I may have to do some digging to find out.

But AT&T's been known to throttle though...

Around the Network

I just want to know where they will go with this..

I was disappointed this thread wasn't about me.

Galaki said:
I was disappointed this thread wasn't about me.

If it helps, every time I read it I read Galaki. :)

The big problem here is the INTERNET BANDWIDTH.

"OnLive's simplest game uses 1.62GB of bandwidth every 30 minutes (1.60GB download, and 25.65MB upload)" - http://onlivefans.com/showthread.php?3691-How-much-bandwidth-does-OnLive-use-I-have-the-answer.

My maths: ~1Mbps for download and  ~30kbps for updload for low setthing/simplest game.

In the OnLive FAQ's: "Wired broadband connection near your television (2 Mbps minimum required, 5+ Mbps recommended)"

So no wireless and 2 Mbps mininum for work... nice my internet service just guarantees 10% of the bandwidth... I need at least a 20Mbps connection (my actual connection is 16Mbps... close).