By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Boy Color

Tagged games:

UncleScrooge said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Gameboy Color should be considered another platform. Because not all GBC games are compatible with the original GB.

I see where you're coming from but I disagree here because in that case:

- The DSi was a seperate system because you couldn't play DSi games on a DS (Lite)

- All PSX systems sold with the original controller should be counted seperately because some games required dual analog input (and we don't know how many people upgraded to a Dual Shock just as we don't know how many people never played a GBC only game on their GBC)

- The PSP Go was a different system because not all PSP games could be played on it and it didn't have a UMD drive

By all means the GBC was probably somewhere inbetween a new system and a remodelling of the black and white Gameboy. And it's questionable which side it was closer to. So we're all right and wrong at the same time. Mindfuck

From what I've read, DSi Ware games aren't compatible with the original DS. Not because DS doesn't have access to the shop, but the games simply aren't compatible. I assume DSi Ware titles have access to the superior processor and RAM found in the DSi. So I would consider it a different platform.

The dual analog control is just a peripheral. I didn't have to buy a newer PS1 to use it. Same story with the Playstation Move.

PSP Go doesn't have a disc drive, but its still compatible with all the games. You just have to hack it to play games off the memory stick.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
UncleScrooge said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Gameboy Color should be considered another platform. Because not all GBC games are compatible with the original GB.

- The DSi was a seperate system because you couldn't play DSi games on a DS (Lite)

- All PSX systems sold with the original controller should be counted seperately because some games required dual analog input (and we don't know how many people upgraded to a Dual Shock just as we don't know how many people never played a GBC only game on their GBC)

- The PSP Go was a different system because not all PSP games could be played on it and it didn't have a UMD drive

By all means the GBC was probably somewhere inbetween a new system and a remodelling of the black and white Gameboy. And it's questionable which side it was closer to. So we're all right and wrong at the same time. Mindfuck

From what I've read, DSi Ware games aren't compatible with the original DS. Not because DS doesn't have access to the shop, but the games simply aren't compatible. I assume DSi Ware titles have access to the superior processor and RAM found in the DSi. So I would consider it a different platform.

The dual analog control is just a peripheral. I didn't have to buy a newer PS1 to use it. Same story with the Playstation Move.

PSP Go doesn't have a disc drive, but its still compatible with all the games. You just have to hack it to play games off the memory stick.

My post was meant to show that there is sort of a grey zone between a new platform and a remodelling. As I said it depends on where the line is crossed in your opinion. The GBC was not a remodelling but neither a new console in the traditional sense. It was somewhere inbetween somewhat like a new generation of a smartphone is inbetween those two extremes as well. 

A side note to everything already said above;

Another reason the GameBoy and GameBoy Color are considered to be of the same Gen, is perhaps that both are 8-bit. Both devices are basically capable of doing the same, besides the obvious colour addition. The GameBoy Advance was a proper new system because it was 32-bit.

Mr Puggsly said:

(..) 

Well you're not supposed to do that.

Out of the box, PSPGo and regular PSP were not compatible with most of each other's features. I guess that, were 'the scene' around back then, GameBoy Color games could be played on GameBoy by hacking them too and they would just be greyscale.

The GameBoy line was quite a confusing story.

I'm pretty sure the Colour was indeed an upgrade to the originals but Nintendo decided to keep it in the same family and have it as an "option" for people to buy.

The cartridges make no sense to me either.

UncleScrooge said:
Mr Puggsly said:
UncleScrooge said:
Mr Puggsly said:

My post was meant to show that there is sort of a grey zone between a new platform and a remodelling. As I said it depends on where the line is crossed in your opinion. The GBC was not a remodelling but neither a new console in the traditional sense. It was somewhere inbetween somewhat like a new generation of a smartphone is inbetween those two extremes as well. 

Smartphones are more comparible to PCs.

The GBC essentially upgraded everything about the original GB and had many titles that were only supported on GBC. The changes made were so significant that it should be considered another platform. But I really don't if it is and I'm sure most feel the same.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)