By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Nintendo overkilling the Mario series

Are we getting to much Mario?

yes 44 44.44%

no 48 48.48%

see results 7 7.07%

Total:99
usrevenge said:
no. the problem isn't mario games. its that there is never a break. The wii and game cube lacked serious 3rd party support so every other game is nintendo 1st party, and that almost always means mario something. if you take the line up of say, the xbox 360s multiplatforms then throw in mario games. its not so bad. but since the wii has no 3rd party support it seems every other game is mario this or mario that. or this game but it has mario in it.

funny you should mention that. I kind of agree about the mario feel to the console. For me 360 feels like a lot of FPS (which I do not mind as I like FPS) are out there and it takes little more effort to find other genres.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
usrevenge said:
no. the problem isn't mario games. its that there is never a break. The wii and game cube lacked serious 3rd party support so every other game is nintendo 1st party, and that almost always means mario something. if you take the line up of say, the xbox 360s multiplatforms then throw in mario games. its not so bad. but since the wii has no 3rd party support it seems every other game is mario this or mario that. or this game but it has mario in it.

funny you should mention that. I kind of agree about the mario feel to the console. For me 360 feels like a lot of FPS (which I do not mind as I like FPS) are out there and it takes little more effort to find other genres.

just out of curiousity what are some of these genres that are harder to find. I think of all the home consoles this gen. 360 has the most variety of genres, with the only thing missing is those dance, exercise etc.

oniyide said:
Cobretti2 said:
usrevenge said:

just out of curiousity what are some of these genres that are harder to find. I think of all the home consoles this gen. 360 has the most variety of genres, with the only thing missing is those dance, exercise etc.

not in the sense that they are rare will lesser copies. its more like the way they position everything on shelf. The games with  covers that face you, most of the games (at least here) are FPS. The other genres you kind of have to look at the rest of the 360 section where the games are layed out by spine of the cases, so need to read what the game is. that is what i meant by little harder to find as in you need to go into more effort as they are not in your face.

Cobretti2 said:
oniyide said:
Cobretti2 said:
usrevenge said:

not in the sense that they are rare will lesser copies. its more like the way they position everything on shelf. The games with  covers that face you, most of the games (at least here) are FPS. The other genres you kind of have to look at the rest of the 360 section where the games are layed out by spine of the cases, so need to read what the game is. that is what i meant by little harder to find as in you need to go into more effort as they are not in your face.

yeah thats true, they kind of do the same thing with Wii, but sans FPS. and i dont know about PS3, it seems to be all over the place with that one

oniyide said:
Cobretti2 said:
oniyide said:
Cobretti2 said:
usrevenge said:

yeah thats true, they kind of do the same thing with Wii, but sans FPS. and i dont know about PS3, it seems to be all over the place with that one

yer wii here is mainly nintnedo games (mainly mario), lots of casual crap, and every now and then COD may get a front cover position.

All the core games form 3rd parties, most usually sit side wise. I really hate shopping for Wii games because of this. Wii section jsut pisses me off and I am sure others get pissed of too. I usual check online  what is new and looks decent. Then i go and ask at the counter for the game.

Around the Network

"Nintendo, offering as much variety as the next hotdog stand near you"

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

AbbathTheGrim said:
"Nintendo, offering as much variety as the next hotdog stand near you"

i'm sorry but the best hotdog stands have better variety than a mcdonalds.

No. They can barely keep up with demand for new Mario platformers. If anything, your chart only shows that from 1997-2005 Mario games were too sparse.

I think they can stand to rely on Mario less for other games, though. Wii Party was a huge success that could easily have become the new Mario Party, but I guess Nintendo had other ideas, because a couple of years later we got Mario Party 9. Likewise, sub-IPs like Mario Tennis seem redundant with Wii Sports /Resort selling in the tens of millions. Nintendo could just make "Wii Tennis," effectively Mario Tennis, but marketed differently, and it would probably sell at least twice as well as Mario Tennis would. The Wii IP appeals more to the Mario Party & Sports market than Mario ever did.

As long as the games are high quality, and they have been so far, keep them coming. Despite that, 3 games in 10 years (1996 - 2006), man are they killing Mario.

I personally think we won't get another 2d mario for at least another 3 years, and maybe a 3d Mario in 2014/5. Assuming I am right, I would say no.

It seems like Mario is getting lots of platformers atm because we are looking at the time they are released and can't get judge how many a platform is getting in its lifetime. Despite 2011-2 having a high concentration of Mario platforms, it doesn't matter if each platform gets a maximum combination of 3 2d and 3d Mario platformers during it's lifetime, something we can't yet forsee