By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Looks Like I was right about Pixar's Brave, Critics think it's Meh as well

d21lewis said:
NintendoPie said:
Zim said:
I personally feel pixar became bad about 11 years ago lol.

Bugs life? Yup good. All 3 Toy Stories? Great. Monsters Inc.? Good.

Everything else? Ranges from meh i.e.Finding Nemo to utterly dreadful and should have been direct to video i.e.Cars, Ratatouille(He's a rat but he can cook and wants to be a chef!!!!). I honestly think Cars is one of the worst mainstream movies ever made. I don't think I have ever seen any movie where every single aspect of it is so blatantly trying to sell merchandise. Where the story and world the movie is set in have been given zero thought at all and instead all of it devoted to selling toy cars.

Film critics are as ridiculously pro pixar as tech critics are pro apple though. If half their movies simply changed the studio name the reviews would be far less positive. Seriously cars is 74% positive? Ratatouille 94%? Both were nominated for best animated feature?! It seems like they get an utterly comical amount of leeway based purely on their name and the fact their movies have good cgi.

High hopes for Monsters University though. They managed to make Toy Story 3 good and that was a sequel to their earlier movies so I'm hoping the same happens with MU.

How does Cars try to sell you toy cars? I never got that impression.

And I thought Ratatouille was a really charming and fun movie! 

And Finding Nemo is not "meh"!

I had typed up a pretty big reply earlier about the themes and qualities behind Cars and Ratatouille but I just wound up deleting it.  If, after watching the movies, all Zim got out of it was "Sell toy cars" and "A rat that can cook", my post wasn't going to change his mind.  I enjoyed both of them a lot.  My low expectations were smashed and I wound up buying both movies for my permanent collection (and Finding Nemo, too).  I guess he'd say  The Lion King was about "I'm a lion and I eat bugs".  To each, his own.

The lion king was a disgusting rip off of an old Japanese anime. The type of thing that had any company done it to Disney they would have been sued so badly they would have ceased to exist actually =). So I guess really the Lion King is a wonderful moral lesson about how big businesses will do whatever the hell they want regardless of laws and then sell their product to ignorant people who will eat it up.

And oh please the movies have the same basic messages that pretty much all kid's movies have. Follow your dreams, friends are important bla bla bla bla cliche cliche cliche. Seriously the plots, characters  and stories could have simply been generated by throwing a bunch of direct to dvd movies into a blender. No where did I say ratatouille was just about a rat that can cook but you desperately tried to put words in my mouth. Whereas cars really is just about selling toys, everything else is simply tacked on. We need a basic message, we need a flawed but lovable hero bla bla bla put it in microsoft word and hope the paper clip writes it for you. Everything those movies do is badly done.

How does cars try and sell you toy cars? It is a world where cars exist in the exact same form as today, complete with doors and so forth, but just have faces on them. The universe is as well thought out as just ''Put a face on cars'' job done. Many reviews even made note of the dearth of artistic vision and simple desire to flog toys. There is no thought at all in the movie. It is a simple case of; Toy cars sell well. Pixar merchandise sells well. Let's add these two things together. But hey it worked. Best selling merchandise of any pixar property. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Around the Network
Zim said:
d21lewis said:
NintendoPie said:
Zim said:
I personally feel pixar became bad about 11 years ago lol.

Bugs life? Yup good. All 3 Toy Stories? Great. Monsters Inc.? Good.

Everything else? Ranges from meh i.e.Finding Nemo to utterly dreadful and should have been direct to video i.e.Cars, Ratatouille(He's a rat but he can cook and wants to be a chef!!!!). I honestly think Cars is one of the worst mainstream movies ever made. I don't think I have ever seen any movie where every single aspect of it is so blatantly trying to sell merchandise. Where the story and world the movie is set in have been given zero thought at all and instead all of it devoted to selling toy cars.

Film critics are as ridiculously pro pixar as tech critics are pro apple though. If half their movies simply changed the studio name the reviews would be far less positive. Seriously cars is 74% positive? Ratatouille 94%? Both were nominated for best animated feature?! It seems like they get an utterly comical amount of leeway based purely on their name and the fact their movies have good cgi.

High hopes for Monsters University though. They managed to make Toy Story 3 good and that was a sequel to their earlier movies so I'm hoping the same happens with MU.

How does Cars try to sell you toy cars? I never got that impression.

And I thought Ratatouille was a really charming and fun movie! 

And Finding Nemo is not "meh"!

I had typed up a pretty big reply earlier about the themes and qualities behind Cars and Ratatouille but I just wound up deleting it.  If, after watching the movies, all Zim got out of it was "Sell toy cars" and "A rat that can cook", my post wasn't going to change his mind.  I enjoyed both of them a lot.  My low expectations were smashed and I wound up buying both movies for my permanent collection (and Finding Nemo, too).  I guess he'd say  The Lion King was about "I'm a lion and I eat bugs".  To each, his own.

The lion king was a disgusting rip off of an old Japanese anime. The type of thing that had any company done it to Disney they would have been sued so badly they would have ceased to exist actually =). So I guess really the Lion King is a wonderful moral lesson about how big businesses will do whatever the hell they want regardless of laws and then sell their product to ignorant people who will eat it up.

And oh please the movies have the same basic messages that pretty much all kid's movies have. Follow your dreams, friends are important bla bla bla bla cliche cliche cliche. Seriously the plots, characters  and stories could have simply been generated by throwing a bunch of direct to dvd movies into a blender. No where did I say ratatouille was just about a rat that can cook but you desperately tried to put words in my mouth. Whereas cars really is just about selling toys, everything else is simply tacked on. We need a basic message, we need a flawed but lovable hero bla bla bla put it in microsoft word and hope the paper clip writes it for you. Everything those movies do is badly done.

How does cars try and sell you toy cars? It is a world where cars exist in the exact same form as today, complete with doors and so forth, but just have faces on them. The universe is as well thought out as just ''Put a face on cars'' job done. Many reviews even made note of the dearth of artistic vision and simple desire to flog toys. There is no thought at all in the movie. It is a simple case of; Toy cars sell well. Pixar merchandise sells well. Let's add these two things together. But hey it worked. Best selling merchandise of any pixar property. 

To each, his own.

*edit* Also, see the bolded. 

Zim said:

You have the wierdist views on these movies. 

As D21 said, to each his own.