By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
The Fury said:
Goal line technology will only sort out one issue, if the ball crosses the line, what really is the most unfair of decision making by referees. I agree all others should stay as they are 'referee mistakes' else we'd just have a 90 minute game stopping and starting over and over for replays.

so you'd be happy with giving ukraine the goal last night but not bother witht the offside 15 secs earlier,i think this is the problem for me

i'm not criticising by the way just asking

Above & Beyond

Around the Network
zuvuyeay said:
The Fury said:
Goal line technology will only sort out one issue, if the ball crosses the line, what really is the most unfair of decision making by referees. I agree all others should stay as they are 'referee mistakes' else we'd just have a 90 minute game stopping and starting over and over for replays.

so you'd be happy with giving ukraine the goal last night but not bother witht the offside 15 secs earlier,i think this is the problem for me

Not happy but fine with it. We only needed a draw and I had predicted 1 all anyway. :P Ukraine played better than us and deserved a draw.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
zuvuyeay said:
The Fury said:

Not happy but fine with it. We only needed a draw and I had predicted 1 all anyway. :P Ukraine played better than us and deserved a draw.

yes,ukraine were unlucky and deserved more as i posted earlier but i was meaning from a rule point of view regarding technology in footy with where,what,when how you use it

Above & Beyond

zuvuyeay said:
The Fury said:

yes,ukraine were unlucky and deserved more as i posted earlier but i was meaning from a rule point of view regarding technology in footy with where,what,when how you use it

Offside and trying to beat the defence and lines man is part of the game, the ball going over the line only for refs and lines men not to see it and players from both team to see it and protest is something different entirely. It's an exact figure when the ball crosses the line, a player in play when passed the ball in an offside position is not, they might not even score in their chance but a ball going over the line is a goal.

The key to all this though is that 5th official that was put there for this exact reason. The one chance they had to show they are there for a reason and they fail.

Are you saying we should have all or none?

Hmm, pie.

Here's the odds for the quarter finals from Paddy Power. 

21st Jun 2012 Home Draw Away  
19:45 Czech Republic v Portugal    4/1    5/2    4/5 
22nd Jun 2012 Home Draw Away  
19:45 Germany v Greece    4/11    15/4    9/1 
23rd Jun 2012 Home Draw Away  
19:45 Spain v France    17/20    12/5    15/4 
24th Jun 2012 Home Draw Away  
19:45 England v Italy    15/8    21/10    17/10 

I'm posting them mainly because of the odds in the Czech-Portugal match, in which they haven't given the Czechs much of a chance at all. 4/1 seems pretty steep to me after what I've seen. I do think Portugal will win but I wouldn't count the Czechs out. 
The others seem about right to me, with Spain and Germany heavy favourites (though maybe a bit too heavy in both cases) and Italy very slight favourites. The only bet I've had throughout the whole tournament was Croatia to win outright at 40-1 and that didn't work out. Anyone else have/had any money on anything?

Around the Network

Is Blatter actually saying goal line tech is a must? If that's true, that is one heck of (an unsurprising) u-turn.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:

Is Blatter actually saying goal line tech is a must? If that's true, that is one heck of (an unsurprising) u-turn.

He did say something similar. Of course I don't think he mentions the missed offside ruling not 10 seconds before. :P

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
zuvuyeay said:
The Fury said:

Offside and trying to beat the defence and lines man is part of the game, the ball going over the line only for refs and lines men not to see it and players from both team to see it and protest is something different entirely. It's an exact figure when the ball crosses the line, a player in play when passed the ball in an offside position is not, they might not even score in their chance but a ball going over the line is a goal.

The key to all this though is that 5th official that was put there for this exact reason. The one chance they had to show they are there for a reason and they fail.

Are you saying we should have all or none?

mmm,good answer
i kind of agree with the ball over the line but it seems a bit silly if in the same move everyone can see its offside while for example they use tv replays to see if the ball is over the line,

for ball line technology they want a chip or laser on the line,why don't they just use a tv/camera replay make a decision and tell the ref,in truth the game has gone beyond the human eye/reaction of a ref but no one wants to say it for some reason,refs and linesman can only really guess in a split second over a foul or offside they don't really know,if they are right the pundits say amazing if they are wrong ,oh well,in the end you cannot really stop technology breaking through its only a matter of time 

footy back tonight,i fancy portugal for the result

Above & Beyond

I am confident with the game of Portugal against the Czech Republic.

Força Portugal

I hope Portugal keeps their concentration and focus for today's game. If we play as we did against Holland, our chances to win are good.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"