By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Segregation by musical taste in USA is true?

I mean, im from Brazil and im a black person. I love to listen to pop music and I'm tuned at Billboard Charts. I recently bought Gotye and Adam Lambert new albums through iTunes. It seems for some people its strange to imagine a black person listening Gotye for example, since he makes "White Music". Some people at forums already told me they thought I was white because of my musical preferences. There really is this kind of thing in US? A Black Music market that differs from the White Music?

Around the Network

Generally, yes.

But the stereotype is primarily of blacks disliking non-black music such as rock, metal, pop, ect.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

invetedlotus123 said:

I mean, im from Brazil and im a black person. I love to listen to pop music and I'm tuned at Billboard Charts. I recently bought Gotye and Adam Lambert new albums through iTunes. It seems for some people its strange to imagine a black person listening Gotye for example, since he makes "White Music". Some people at forums already told me they thought I was white because of my musical preferences. There really is this kind of thing in US? A Black Music market that differs from the White Music?

Stickball got it right. The stereotype is that black people aren't supposed to like "white" music, whereas whites are "allowed" to like anything. (all being untrue, of course).

Part of it is understandable, since mainstream white music got where it was today by ripping off black music and cleaning up some of the themes.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

mrstickball said:
Generally, yes.

But the stereotype is primarily of blacks disliking non-black music such as rock, metal, pop, ect.

Wait, Rock (and thus Metal) and Pop have african-american roots.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

AbbathTheGrim said:
mrstickball said:
Generally, yes.

Wait, Rock (and thus Metal) and Pop have african-american roots.

Of course it does.

I'm not arguing where rock originated from. It has its roots in blues and jazz which are heavily black-driven genres. The quintessential rock guitarist is black (Hendrix). Most of the greatest pop/disco artists of the 60s and 70s are black. That doesn't change the current, horrific perception of black music inside of current mainstream black culture.

I'd venture to guess that 90-95% of blacks' primary genre purchases are rap, hip-hop and R&B, with the only possible other genres being black gospel.

Its very sad that the black culture is so centered on a few genres, when they've made such fantastic contributions in virtually every genre. I wish there'd be more Tosin Abbasi's or Howard Jones' in the world.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

What stickball said.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Maybe down south...
Out west and in the north, at least from people I've met, people aren't looking for 'Black Music', just good music.
The same guy i could find jammin to 50 cent will be the same one listening to a Flock of Seagulls...

IDK. Ignorant people are ignorant of others and listen to ignorant music.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Well most rock, punk, metal, etc. is made by white people, and most rap is made by black people...but in terms of listening to music it really means nothing. Most teens these days (white or black) seem to listen to rap, although I have no idea what percent of blacks like rock/metal.

I do kind of find it funny that one of the best guitarist ever was black (Hendrix) and one of the best rappers is white (Eminem).

It seems that many black communities in the USA try to do what they can to create a separation between them and white culture. Just look at how many black parents try to go out of their way to give their child a seemingly "black" name, no matter how bad it is for the child (the "blacker" the name, the harder it is to seek employment, and earn a higher wage).

Obviously, none of this is intrinsic to black Americans, or whatever, and I'm sure there's probably a strong correlation to do with level of education, where they grew up, and incomes (for a variety of reasons). I'm sure if you were to take a middle-class black family from some suburb, somewhere, they will be far more likely to have "whiter" names, listen to "non-black" music, and all the rest of it.

I tried looking at UK satellite TV music channels' output today. I've got to say that >50% of the music played, even on the chart countdown type segments, were by black people or in the black styles (hip-hop/rap often combined with street dance), even though our population has a much smaller proportion of black people.

"Black" music is just mainstream music now, that "everyone" listens to.