By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Assassins Creed - started off great but...

I liked the game, i like how it unravels itself, but it got so bloody repeditive.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Around the Network
Dodece said:
The first thing you need to understand about Assassins Creed is that its a hybrid. The game is equal parts Grand Theft Auto, and Crackdown. Once you understand that you understand how you are supposed to play the game.

This game is a sandbox style game. Which means player freedom, soft objectives, and superfluous mechanics. Set in a non linear world design. That means it is up to the player to play the game in a fashion that is entertaining to themselves.

For all the griping about all of these objectives you must complete the reality is you don't actually need to do all of these things. You don't even need to do a tenth of them to progress. You do not need to climb all the towers pick every pocket, eavesdrop on every conversation, save a single civilian, or even bother with flag collecting.

Generally the griping about such things in nonsense if you don't like doing these things they have only required a bare minimum of them. Further more you can fight your targets in any way you so desire. There is almost always some clever way to get at them with a minimum of fuss, and that is part of the challenge.

The story line isn't a bad story line. Even though the foreshadowing was too overwhelming making the ending a little less then shocking. However the dialog is quite nice, and the half dozen clever twist help to balance it all out. Be honest you really did think those assassins were going to save you, and when your master stabbed you. Well you just knew it would be a tale of revenge. While perhaps not gripping they were surprising.

This is actually a very good game if you approach it with the mindset of not playing it as a chore. Instead play it like you want to play it bring a little imagination with you, and be willing to screw around a little bit. The best part in my mind is the freedom of expression, and the strategy involved. Don't just play a mindless thug try to be smart about it. You need the mindset of a real assassin to truly enjoy this game. Try being clean, thorough, and methodical in your approach to killing your targets. The game isn't going to force you, but if you decide to do it yourself you can find a chilling thrill there.

By the way my favorite point in the game was when one of the beggar ladies finally made me snap, and before I realized it I gave her the hidden blade. A real holy crap moment. Seriously it hadn't occurred to me that I was allowed to kill annoying people. Many a roving retard found my knife from that moment on. You have to love the social commentary woven into this game. Once the retards were freed, I suddenly agreed with the sociopath that locked them up in the first place. They all need their legs broken. Seriously in what other game can a mentally retarded character not only get you killed, but kill you with his pushing you over edge antics.

Excellent post. I also enjoyed AC though I can see how it annoyed some of you. I took the attitude of "everything in my way dies" and "chase the white cloaked assassin" the entire time and it was a lot of fun for me. I ended up doing everything (except the flags) in the game and never got bored, though I'm a sucker for sandbox/roving games and while the game stalled a little in the middle, once all the cities completely opened up for me, I started having a blast again.

There's a lot of love/hate going on with this game. I think most of it depends on how you play the game and what kind of game you like. It's definitely not made for everyone.

Bolded part: Hahahah, I was the same way. Once I found out I could kill the harrassers, no one was safe anymore. I also didn't want to kill the target quite so badly after that point. After all, they were the ones keeping those tards locked up. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/