By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Since when is disrespectful hatred a good thing?

Kasz216 said:
richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:

I don't think it's anything new.

I just think said people now have a platform for it. Back when Network TV ruled all you had to have a moderate respectful viewpoint. Now it's all about hitting your core demographic. Even less if your on the internet just looking for some support.  It's all demographics.  Just like how we have more cool niche television shows, we have more well... looney political people.

I'd argue actually if you were looking for a "starting point" that it started with Republicans on a larger scale... specifically Neo-cons and a "If you don't agree with us, your with the enemy" claim. That while popular after 9/11 actually started with the cold war. (Though honestly, you'd be surprised just how common this is before then. See Federalists vs anti-federalists)

It's something that just became popular with the Left after Bush as it became something that got adopted by the "douche bag" left. Your brogressives, people who don't know anyone actually poor and Utopian if we gave it a shot it'd work instantly" types for example.

That lady actually has what I call "Super Racist Eyes". In that when I see someone with eyes like that in a video, if there is nothing suggesting what she's saying, i'm just assuming it's something hugely racist and offensive.

Cable went its own way with, after seening Fox News breaking through in partisan favored news, MS's Need Barrack Channel tried to do similar from the left.  And then Air America ended up failing to try to be like Newscorp's offerings.  I believe it is probably a matter of where people go to get info.  Conservatives don't usually break through in documentaries category like the way Michael Moore does, and seem to fail miserably to do something like the Daily Show and Colbert (Seriously, I wish there was a conservative alternative to these shows, but when you have Dennis Miller turn angry old man it doesn't offer much hope).  And liberals can't seem to get the cable broadcasting or radio right.  Go figure.

Funny thing about Dennis Miller was that he used to be a liberal.   He's a rare example of something that's pretty common.  People becoming more conservative as they get older and expiernece life more.   In an actual viewpoint way, not a "your older so more conservative by default" way.

I think it doesn't happen much to famous people because if they talk  about their politics it becomes part of there brand.  You need to keep it up as it is.

While the thing about the Colbert report and Daily show is that they actually tend to be pretty balanced.   Until it's time for an election... then they go hyper partisian.

Pen and Teller's Bullshit sorta did some of that for a Libretarian style viewpoint.  Downside being Pen is kind of a douchebag.

I think, as a general rule, people who are Libertarian will tend to be able to pull off humor to a greater degree than maybe someone who is conservative.  Well, at least from what I have seen.  There are exceptions.  It is just, maybe the neocon stuff makes for bad humor, when all you do is end up mocking people who don't think militant Islam is that much of a threat, which is the main thrust of the Half Hour News Hour, which had some of the weakest comedic anchors I ever ran into.  I think part of humor is that you just have to not care at all about the outcome, and not have an agenda outside of getting laughs.  Yes, you have Colbert, and Jon Stewart, which end up having political views, but I believe both put getting laughs above other things.

I would say that similar happens in the area of religion or anyone on a mission.  For the most part, they end up not really doing what they are supposed to do that well, because they have other things in mind.  I also am not sure strong anger is a place to come from with humor, as the rage overwhelms things.

That said, I really like Brad Stine, conservative Christian comedian:

Around the Network

Well, i imagine there are a lot of funny conservative comedians out there. They're just known as apolitical comedians.

There are a number of comedians who seem Republican, but never really go into that political realm. Partly because it'd probably be harder to find work. I don't think anyone would be blackballed or anything silly like that, but being a conservative would hurt matters more then help.

Even just for political events. As Jay Leno said, Republicans seem more willing to laugh at themselves. '

Good old Dr. Dre and Ice Cube represents at least one of those two factors. Though i'm not sure which.

NWA ended up playing a number of Republican events, including i believe the RNC when they were first out.

Of course then again Maybe it was all just Easy E.  I mean he had dinner at the whitehouse with George Bush senior I believe.

EDIT: fairly decent blog post when it comes to conservative comedians.  Or seems that way anwyay.

I think the "bubble" thing has been around for much, much, longer than cable news/the Internet. It's just that we're now more aware of other people's bubbles.

It's all about who you associate with. I know my nan, for example, spends most of her time down the pub with her friends, and they have all formed a bubble (I'm sure they spend 90% of their time discussing how immigration is destroying the country). My mum works in education and social services, and she spends a lot of time socializing with her colleagues, and she ends up with extremely strong views on those areas. My dad spends most of his time on a golf course with other businessmen, and their top issues seem to be taxes, regulations, etc.

Now, they have these bubbles, and they're all fine, until we all sit down for a family dinner at Christmas, and all hell breaks loose. (For those interested, I tend to keep my nose out... because I just know that they will all turn against me).

The Internet hasn't made the bubble situation better or worse (these people are hyper-partisan, and do not use the Internet), but what it has lead to is a greater frequency of clashes.

Kasz216 said:

Well, i imagine there are a lot of funny conservative comedians out there. They're just known as apolitical comedians.

There are a number of comedians who seem Republican, but never really go into that political realm. Partly because it'd probably be harder to find work. I don't think anyone would be blackballed or anything silly like that, but being a conservative would hurt matters more then help.

Even just for political events. As Jay Leno said, Republicans seem more willing to laugh at themselves. '

Good old Dr. Dre and Ice Cube represents at least one of those two factors. Though i'm not sure which.

NWA ended up playing a number of Republican events, including i believe the RNC when they were first out.

Of course then again Maybe it was all just Easy E.  I mean he had dinner at the whitehouse with George Bush senior I believe.

EDIT: fairly decent blog post when it comes to conservative comedians.  Or seems that way anwyay.

I wish I could be able to find a list of some.  I do not follow blogger much, unless it comes up through an aggregator.  And this must be the interview with Leno you refer to that quote is from:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/23/jay-leno-republicans-laugh-at-themselves-video_n_1445800.html

SamuelRSmith said:
I think the "bubble" thing has been around for much, much, longer than cable news/the Internet. It's just that we're now more aware of other people's bubbles.

It's all about who you associate with. I know my nan, for example, spends most of her time down the pub with her friends, and they have all formed a bubble (I'm sure they spend 90% of their time discussing how immigration is destroying the country). My mum works in education and social services, and she spends a lot of time socializing with her colleagues, and she ends up with extremely strong views on those areas. My dad spends most of his time on a golf course with other businessmen, and their top issues seem to be taxes, regulations, etc.

Now, they have these bubbles, and they're all fine, until we all sit down for a family dinner at Christmas, and all hell breaks loose. (For those interested, I tend to keep my nose out... because I just know that they will all turn against me).

The Internet hasn't made the bubble situation better or worse (these people are hyper-partisan, and do not use the Internet), but what it has lead to is a greater frequency of clashes.

So the Internet is a demographic targeting of bubbles at this point then rather than making them exist?  And with this targeting then comes pandering to them, and then arming them with information, reenforcing the views.  

It could also be that with increased frequency means the shock value of them happening, and the fear of fallout happening, has resulted in increasing boldness about doing them.  To me it just seems like maybe things have changed. Maybe if it is me that has changed in regards to this.  I know my views aren't the same.  I actually went though and stop being against conservatism, since 2004, when I ran into American Conservative magazine, Pat Buchanan's magazine, and realized I saw there were a number of reasons why real conservatives objected to the last administration I was able to agree with, and I read more on conservatism, real conservatism, not this BS Newscorp/Fox News inconsistent stuff.  I also became more open to Libertarianism due to Ron Paul, and reading Hayek, realizing that Libertarianism doesn't equal Objectivism, which matched with Conservatism not equaling Neo-conservatism.  Probably another turning point that made me aware of things was how the Internet, and cable news, didn't take one minute to take a break from politicing when the Arizona congresswoman got shot.  Then there is the recent Travon Martin shooting, which goes ink blots, and like clockwork, where you stand NOW on the shooting was based entirely on one's political views (you can see how the news is spun).

Maybe it is more me, in the end, tired of the political spinning of things.  Yes, it is a case of being tired to an extend I had hoped that Occupy would of been something that didn't get spun political either, and led to community building stuff.  But nope.  Call it maybe my community builder instinct who is tired of politics, and the spin.

Around the Network

American politics has turned into a game show. People are planted in the audience at rallies to hold signs, pretend to cheer, and ask pro-candidate questions. Both parties' conventions are now nothing more than 72-hour long infomercials for candidates who've already been chosen, instead of serving a purpose and having ballots to decide on a nominee, as was their original purpose. Cable news channels all pick sides and decide for us instead of being objective and just reporting facts. Pundits and party talking heads pretend to fight with the other side over trivial things, all the while both parties support meddling overseas in other nation's affairs, both parties support bailouts and economic "stimulus" using OUR money, and both parties are in favor of destroying our currency, leading to the inevitable end of our dominance in the global market.

So, I simply do not support either party anymore, because it's all fake and staged. Neither candidate is allowed to state their real opinion on things because they're afraid of offending someone, and the debates in the fall are going to be over things they have no real control over like the fake "contraception" controversy that isn't even a real issue, abortion which neither candidate can do anything about, and "taxes", even though Republicans claim they're for lower taxes but they support just as much deficit spending as the Democrats do. I'm so done with that. Let me know when a real leader emerges from the crowd of pus****, and then maybe I'll give a damn about politics again.

richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:

I wish I could be able to find a list of some.  I do not follow blogger much, unless it comes up through an aggregator.  And this must be the interview with Leno you refer to that quote is from:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/23/jay-leno-republicans-laugh-at-themselves-video_n_1445800.html

I don't follow blogger at all honestly.  Just between posts i tend to do a bit of research and read various articles and post anything that seems relevent and trustworthy.