By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Seriously why did Sony release the PS VITA?

Did Sony make a mistake?

Yes, they shouldn't have released it 38 17.12%

No, lets just wait till E3 83 37.39%

When was the last time th... 73 32.88%

see results 28 12.61%

Total:222
JoeTheBro said:
You're proof the marketing sucks. A vast majority of reviews state the Vita is better than the 3DS and agree it has a better launch lineup than the 3DS did. With that said, it is selling worse than dog flavored bagels. As you stated that's because no one knows about it. Also because of the 3DS many people are waiting for a price drop. Get it over with and bring it down to $199 at E3 and just like the 3DS sales will boom.

Sony released the PS Vita because just like the PS3 they know a rocky start can pull a 180 and become a huge success.

QFT

Vita had a brilliant lineup on release, far better than most consoles and handhelds in the past. The hardware was (and still is) highly advanced and worth the asking price, yet the marketing of the device has been piss poor. I'd also add that factors like the need to use proprietary memory cards or the inability to add better batteries build negativity to Vita and the brand.

Around the Network

To burn money.. what else?

Yay!!!

So you could make this thread

There is nothing wrong with the vita, new games are getting announced every day.

Sony did spent a lot of money on promoting Vita, especially in Europe, Champions League is full of Vita ads, even the cinema has Vita ads, so it's impossible not to know it exists

Sony released a really great hardware, which unfortunately couldn't support as good as they should, but they will probably attempt to revive it with AAA titles this E3, Nintendo was doing bad with the 3DS first year but at least they had tons of games already announced, now Sony needs not only to announce but release them fast, by holidays let's say

I'll stay up to here because the last time i said what Sony does i got warnings, no right to tell your opinion these days... : F

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network

It has been 3 MONTHS FFS!!!!!!! Ye guys are ridiculous.

I have said it before, but it needs to be repeated: Playstation fans are adorable :)

Sony obviously made mistakes releasing the Vita. Denying that would indicate a severe case of fanboyism. FattyDingDong makes a good point saying that Sony released the system without giving it proper support and is now simply asking you all why they did that.

Seems to me that even discussing Sony's strategies is considered Sony-trolling nowadays.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

I have said it before, but it needs to be repeated: Playstation fans are adorable :)

Sony obviously made mistakes releasing the Vita. Denying that would indicate a severe case of fanboyism. FattyDingDong makes a good point saying that Sony released the system without giving it proper support and is now simply asking you all why they did that.

Seems to me that even discussing Sony's strategies is considered Sony-trolling nowadays.

Marketing wise, yes, the support was not there in the US. To say it's lacking software support is ridiculous, it had arguably one of the best launch lineups ever, we have Resistance, LBP, Gravity Rush and the MGS collection coming in the next month. Fall is already huge, COD, FIFA, AC have been announced, an exclusive Bioshock games is coming, killzone etc. And this doesn't include the inevitable slew of announcements we'll be getting at E3.

Now, I can criticise the shit out of the PS Vita, the lack of system sellers in Japan, the over-priced propriority memory cards, the silly AR push, the crappy cameras... But to say it haz no gaemz, which is one of fatdongs points, is like I said, ridiculous.

Sony is doing some mistakes with Vita, but it can recover.
First of all, Vita is not overpriced. When the price was announced I remember that everyone was happy about it.
The biggest problem is that Vita came without any type of hype, and there's still people that doesn't know it!
There are few appealing games, the only system seller so far is Golden Abyss, and it was a launch title....nothing was released after that.

The future doesn't look bright for Vita, but for a better analysis we must wait the E3.
I really think that smartphones/tablets are killing the handled market, and Nintendo, with its games that appeal to the handled audience, is still having good, but not sensational, sales, while Vita, which is trying to give an home console experience, is failing.

The system may not appeal to you, but it does to quite a few people on VGChartz at least. Sony has catered to its fans, it didn't tell them that of course, as Sony never markets anything quite right.