By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Should I get the nVidia GTX 560 ti?

I upgraded to a gtx 460 from dual 7950gts to and didn't see a lot of improvement until I upgraded my cpu from a dual core 2.4ghz amd to a quad core amd oc'd to 4.4ghz. Now I can play anything on max settings at 1080p with framerates of 50fps to 110fps depending on game.

WII Code: 1732 3363 1704 6441

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
esssam said:
AndrewWK said:
You should buy Radeon HD 6950 is cheaper and needs less power, and is as good as the nvidia if not a bit better.

Is the difference in price minor?? because if it is, I may buy the nVidia due to the Physx feature. Are the rest of my PC specs enough to play most of today's games at high settings?

Sorry Im a bit of a noob here :b

Hi Esssam

The gtx560ti is a great card, and will definately meet your needs for high settings and 1440 x 900 resolutions in most newer games.

The only issue that you need to consider is the rest of your components and how they will perform with your new gpu. You seem to be only upgrading the gpu...which might be a mistake. Your current cpu was good back its time, but currently it will bottleneck your gtx560ti quite badly. The gtx560ti and Nvidia cards in general are more reliant on cpu power compared to radeon cards.

So you have some options here:

1. You should hold off the upgrade until you can atleast afford to get a new cpu and motherboard. This way you will be sure that you are getting every once of power out of all your new parts.

2. Buy the card now and upgrade the other parts later. While your cpu will bottleneck your gpu and quite heavily at that, it should still perform better than your current card. Given that your playing resolutions are not full hd and you plan to play games on high settings...this might be enough for you. I bolded might because it really is a gamble.

3. Get a radeon card. The radeon HD 6950 has been canceld as far as i know...but you should be able to get a 7870 or 7850 for a similar price and similar performance..not really sure on this. But it is an option. Radeon cards tend to be less reliant on the cpu.

My suggestion...hold off until you can afford a full upgrade, or atleast the core components (motherboard, cpu, and gpu). You dont need a hell of money to do this. So the wait shouldnt be too long!

The thing is someone who has a better cpu than you, say for example a new i5 cpu but has a significantly weaker gpu like the gtx550ti....could get better performance than your core 2 duo E8400 and gtx560ti combo!

Really since when? I bought mine six moths ago.

AndrewWK said:
Shinobi-san said:

3. Get a radeon card. The radeon HD 6950 has been canceld as far as i know...but you should be able to get a 7870 or 7850 for a similar price and similar performance..not really sure on this. But it is an option. Radeon cards tend to be less reliant on the cpu.

Really since when? I bought mine six moths ago.

Not 100% sure on this but i think it was when they released the 7950 and 7870. Which would be beginning of this year/end of last year. But yeah not 100 % sure.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Looks like you're running the E8400 at factory clocks. If you're not using a locked motherboard (any of the mass market brand preconfigured PCs), the E8400 over clocks easily to 3.8-4.0 ghz. That might tax the factory heat sink, but the C2D chips run pretty cool. I had an E8400 clocked at 3.8 using a $20 aftermarket heat sink that ran so cool that I could have turned up the voltage for even higher clocks had I wanted.

If you can over clock, that should free up a fair amount of performance until you can do a major upgrade (CPU, MoBo, RAM).

The 560 gtx ti is a good mid-range card; just be sure to shop around for the best possible deal. Prices can change from week to week and if you're on a right budget, every bit counts.

greenmedic88 said:

Looks like you're running the E8400 at factory clocks. If you're not using a locked motherboard (any of the mass market brand preconfigured PCs), the E8400 over clocks easily to 3.8-4.0 ghz. That might tax the factory heat sink, but the C2D chips run pretty cool. I had an E8400 clocked at 3.8 using a $20 aftermarket heat sink that ran so cool that I could have turned up the voltage for even higher clocks had I wanted.

If you can over clock, that should free up a fair amount of performance until you can do a major upgrade (CPU, MoBo, RAM).

The 560 gtx ti is a good mid-range card; just be sure to shop around for the best possible deal. Prices can change from week to week and if you're on a right budget, every bit counts.

I wouldnt do that without a good cooling system! Especially with a GPU  like the nvidia Gtx 560ti inside.

Around the Network
pezus said:
esssam said:
Tallgeese101 said:
Your in a tough position. You cant realistically upgrade your CPU but I think it may limit a 560ti even at 1440x900.

What do you mean I can't upgrade my CPU, can't I buy a new one and replace the old whenever I need to???

You would need to buy a new motherboard for the CPU as well

You should be able to upgrade your mb, cpu, and ps for $300. Then get a cheaper card for around $120 if you shop around (that's what I paid for my 460gtx since I couldn't afford the 560gtx ). but you will definitely be disappointed like I was with the performance boost of just going with a card upgrade as Shinobi-san pointed out.

WII Code: 1732 3363 1704 6441

What do you guys think about upgrading my PSU, CPU & motherboard together.... And then, after a month or two of saving up, the GTX 560 ti? Woudnt that prevent any bottlenecks from occuring??

esssam said:

What do you guys think about upgrading my PSU, CPU & motherboard together.... And then, after a month or two of saving up, the GTX 560 ti? Woudnt that prevent any bottlenecks from occuring??

for the save from the GPU you could upgrade your maingboard and your CPU you only have to be careful with your RAM if its DDR III you will be fine otherwise you will have to buy a new set.

I can somewhat relate as I have the same specs as you (E8400 @ 3.0 Ghz, 8800GT, 4GB ram (DDR2)). I recently tried to figure out where to go next specs wise.

If I were to upgrade video card, I'd go with Radeon 7850 instead. It's only a bit more expensive than 560 Ti but is more powerful and uses less power.
However I think it would be better to save some money and get everything at once. At least that's what I'm gonna do. CPU would most likely bottleneck the GPU. Overclocking 4 years old CPU sounds a bit risky to me (sure, you can do it, but in my case, I definetly won't be able to afford new hardware in a while, so I'd rather extend life of my PC's components as much as possible) and Core 2 Quad is too expensive to be worth it.

So yeah, I'd wait and then get everything at once.

esssam said:

Sounds good to me

And keep a look out for good deals on video cards...there are some insane deals atm especially if you live in the states!

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|