By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I could care less...

20happyballs said:
Majora said:

Why do people mistakenly say this when the expression is "I couldn't care less?" I COULD care less suggests that you do in fact care, but I know most people mean I COULDN'T care less (as in they don't care at all), as what they go on to say supports the latter, and if they in fact meant the former they would be contradicting themselves. Why do people find this expression so difficult? Why do I care so much? I don't know the answer to either question, but people please, the correct expression is

I COULDN'T CARE LESS

which is something I COULD (and probably should) care less about.

Step forward the wonderful replies stating that you couldn't care less about this forum =] Life's good.

Haha. When I read the title i was gonna post a comment saying the same thing. It really annoys me when people say it the way you wrote in the title. I'm happy to see that you do in fact understand.

didnt somebody on here already explain it's a shortened down quote. The full quote makes sense but I think as time goes by and the full quote becomes less known, the short version doesnt make sense because people are less aware of what the full quote is. Nothing to get your panties in a twist over.

Around the Network
ebw said:
I was always told that "I could care less" is an abbreviation for the more accurate "I could care less...but I'd have to try." In other words, still placing it close to the bottom of the caring continuum.

Of course, like many things I was always told, this could just be an urban legend.

^^^here

SWORDF1SH said:
20happyballs said:
Majora said:

Why do people mistakenly say this when the expression is "I couldn't care less?" I COULD care less suggests that you do in fact care, but I know most people mean I COULDN'T care less (as in they don't care at all), as what they go on to say supports the latter, and if they in fact meant the former they would be contradicting themselves. Why do people find this expression so difficult? Why do I care so much? I don't know the answer to either question, but people please, the correct expression is

I COULDN'T CARE LESS

which is something I COULD (and probably should) care less about.

Step forward the wonderful replies stating that you couldn't care less about this forum =] Life's good.

Haha. When I read the title i was gonna post a comment saying the same thing. It really annoys me when people say it the way you wrote in the title. I'm happy to see that you do in fact understand.

didnt somebody on here already explain it's a shortened down quote. The full quote makes sense but I think as time goes by and the full quote becomes less known, the short version doesnt make sense because people are less aware of what the full quote is. Nothing to get your panties in a twist over.

Well who cares if it is an abbreviated version because it still does not make sense unless fully quoted. Besides, why would someone abbreviate a phrase if most people never even heard of the full phrase. Even on Urban Dictionary, a popular site where users define all the different idioms, you'll find that no one even knows the full phrase.   

20happyballs said:

Well who cares if it is an abbreviated version because it still does not make sense unless fully quoted. Besides, why would someone abbreviate a phrase if most people never even heard of the full phrase. Even on Urban Dictionary, a popular site where users define all the different idioms, you'll find that no one even knows the full phrase.   

I'm just saying that its probably an old phrase. Older gens might understand it while the younger gen don't get it because it's a dying phrase. Like I'm sure there a new phrases that don't make sense to the older gen that younger people use. Who knows?