By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - What to do with Spare cash?

Ok well for those who don't know from the "What'd you get for X-mas" thread, I recieved an extremely generous gift this year from my brother (which made me happy I got him several Wii games instead of the one I almost settled on) and he got me one of these....

(Click pic for NewEgg Link) 

So I had a spare Video card which I was able to sell to a friend for a quick $180 bucks (great deal for me and a great deal for him), and I also have about $50 bucks in cash from various folks from X-mas. So in total I have $230 unexpected cash.

Budget wise, I am good to go for the essentials and I have already decided to spend this on my little hobby of gaming.

With that said my PC is completely ready for another video card, the motherboard supports full x16 on both slots, cooling is sufficient, and the PSU is sufficient. So should I drop a little extra cash and get another GT or should I spend my money on PC/Wii games...and if so which games?

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

See I've got this PayPal account...

Put it in the bank!

Eat it and sell yourself into slavery.

For me. I'd go with the games and just get whatever interested me as i went from store to store.

From what i know of you though. I'd say upgrade the PC.

Around the Network

Be sure to monitor the temps on that baby! My stock fan never went above 29% - temps got very very bad with high end games!

On topic - if there's a lot of games you've been meaning to play/buy, you could go with buying games. If you game at really high resolutions you could get another GT, but otherwise it might be better spent on games.

What you should do is take the $230, sell your Wii (you could prob get more than what you paid if its good condition) for at least $250.

Now you have $480 and I'm sure you have $20 lying around somewhere so put the $500 towards an 80gb PS3!

I'd buy a bunch of games...I would think you'd get more fun out of that than simply doubling your card.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

coolestguyever said:
What you should do is take the $230, sell your Wii (you could prob get more than what you paid if its good condition) for at least $250.

Now you have $480 and I'm sure you have $20 lying around somewhere so put the $500 towards an 80gb PS3!

The only problem is that I have set a line that the PS3 must cost less than $300 and have full backwards comatability before I will purchase.  I am patient =)

To Each Man, Responsibility
coolestguyever said:

Don't try to take RolStoppale's crown on the sarcastisc post department!

I say, go for the bunch of games. Your PC will be fine with just one card, and your Wii needs new disks to stay healthy :)