By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unreal Engine 4 Will Make Next Generations Games Look Utterly Mindblowing *First Screenshots*

yo_john117 said:
Oh God that looks incredible. I can't wait for next gen and its CGI-like graphics! I've been wanting this ever since I first played a videogame.

I know UE4 is finally crossing that line of CGI-like graphics, I can't even imagine what an Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, or Gears of War game will look like with these kinds of unbelievable graphics.

Around the Network

I can't wait to see what the First party developers come up with!

BenVTrigger said:
yo_john117 said:
Oh God that looks incredible. I can't wait for next gen and its CGI-like graphics! I've been wanting this ever since I first played a videogame.

I know UE4 is finally crossing that line of CGI-like graphics, I can't even imagine what an Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, or Gears of War game will look like with these kinds of unbelievable graphics.

Or even better yet...Halo 5! Can you imagine playing Halo with near CGI-like graphics. Just the thought of that hypes me to no end.

Zim said:
Oh and also people need to keep in mind that from statements coming from Nintendo and Epic I would say it is all but confirmed that UE4 is on Wii U (fish meet water and all that). People forget that a big issue with the Wii wasn't that it was under'powered' it was that it was using outdated architecture and a lot of modern techniques simply couldn't be done on it. This meant getting UE3 on it was just too much work. This is why you saw mobile devices that weren't very powerful but had modern architecture able to support UE3 mobile.

All indications for the Wii U are that it will be a bare minimum of 2x more 'powerful' than the 360. But that 3x or more is far more likely. However that's not the most important part. It's that this time it will actually be able to handle modern functions. Wii U will see a version of UE4 (likely stripped down a bit and obviously not as amazing as these screens)

But the Wii U is likely again going to be a step behind as it is rumoured to have a DX10 class GPU rather than a DX11 class one. A GPU that was before the GPU compute revolution really took off, it's closer that the Wii but still lacking. And we don't really know if MS and Sony are not going to use GPUs that are bassed on architectures that aren't publically available today. 

Also Epic have said that UE4 is designed for systems that are 8-10x the power of the 360 with the latest tech available. Using UE4 with some of the advanced features turned off my not be a good decision anyway, when they have UE3 that is already built with the Wii U's level of capabilities in mind. Especially if devs want to make cross platform games as UE3 has been upgraded to scale to next gen to the iPhone. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
Zim said:
Oh and also people need to keep in mind that from statements coming from Nintendo and Epic I would say it is all but confirmed that UE4 is on Wii U (fish meet water and all that). People forget that a big issue with the Wii wasn't that it was under'powered' it was that it was using outdated architecture and a lot of modern techniques simply couldn't be done on it. This meant getting UE3 on it was just too much work. This is why you saw mobile devices that weren't very powerful but had modern architecture able to support UE3 mobile.

All indications for the Wii U are that it will be a bare minimum of 2x more 'powerful' than the 360. But that 3x or more is far more likely. However that's not the most important part. It's that this time it will actually be able to handle modern functions. Wii U will see a version of UE4 (likely stripped down a bit and obviously not as amazing as these screens)

But the Wii U is likely again going to be a step behind as it is rumoured to have a DX10 class GPU rather than a DX11 class one. A GPU that was before the GPU compute revolution really took off, it's closer that the Wii but still lacking. And we don't really know if MS and Sony are not going to use GPUs that are bassed on architectures that aren't publically available today. 

Also Epic have said that UE4 is designed for systems that are 8-10x the power of the 360 with the latest tech available. Using UE4 with some of the advanced features turned off my not be a good decision anyway, when they have UE3 that is already built with the Wii U's level of capabilities in mind. Especially if devs want to make cross platform games as UE3 has been upgraded to scale to next gen to the iPhone. 

Well the rumours I have seen circling around state that the Wii U is basically using a gpu based on one from 2010. But that it was more 2011 in it's capabilities. That would imply DX11 since it was the end of 2010, start of 2011 it started being used. 

Using the funny internet multiplier technique. Rumours seem to be pointing to the Wii U being around 3x the 360. With Sony and MS I think the management would have to be insane to go more than 6-8x the 360. I would hope they both learned the lessons from trying to create monster powerful machines and suffering heavy losses the first few years. Iirc the 360's GPU was about as cutting edge as possible at the time. 

We have to keep in mind that Epic like to talk a lot of talk. they were touting this new tech demo as making Samaritan look bad. It still possibly could in motion but I doubt it. They will push for 10x in the machines but I don't think they will get it (assuming 720 and PS4 are late 2013, which unless they want to lose huge amounts of marketshare they have to be) 

You are right that the Wii U is going to be a different kettle of fish to the Wii. The wii was just too oudated. As it is though I see the Wii U being not too far from a halfway point between PS360 and 720/Ps4. The Wii U is also going to be a more powerful HD console that has a jump on the market, much as the 360 did. It will have a fair lead over PS4/720 when they finally launch. This bit may be optimistic but I am wondering if we will in fact see something from Epic at Nintendo's E3. Nintendo have been VERY vocal about pursuing middleware/ popular engine makers.

p.s. nice follow up screenshots for what developers can do with UE3 =D People seem to mistake art style and engine capability a lot lol.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Around the Network
Zim said:

Well the rumours I have seen circling around state that the Wii U is basically using a gpu based on one from 2010. But that it was more 2011 in it's capabilities. That would imply DX11 since it was the end of 2010, start of 2011 it started being used. 

Using the funny internet multiplier technique. Rumours seem to be pointing to the Wii U being around 3x the 360. With Sony and MS I think the management would have to be insane to go more than 6-8x the 360. I would hope they both learned the lessons from trying to create monster powerful machines and suffering heavy losses the first few years. Iirc the 360's GPU was about as cutting edge as possible at the time. 

We have to keep in mind that Epic like to talk a lot of talk. they were touting this new tech demo as making Samaritan look bad. It still possibly could in motion but I doubt it. They will push for 10x in the machines but I don't think they will get it (assuming 720 and PS4 are late 2013, which unless they want to lose huge amounts of marketshare they have to be) 

You are right that the Wii U is going to be a different kettle of fish to the Wii. The wii was just too oudated. As it is though I see the Wii U being not too far from a halfway point between PS360 and 720/Ps4. The Wii U is also going to be a more powerful HD console that has a jump on the market, much as the 360 did. It will have a fair lead over PS4/720 when they finally launch. This bit may be optimistic but I am wondering if we will in fact see something from Epic at Nintendo's E3. Nintendo have been VERY vocal about pursuing middleware/ popular engine makers.

p.s. nice follow up screenshots for what developers can do with UE3 =D People seem to mistake art style and engine capability a lot lol.

It's all up in the air TBH I mean if Nintendo are making changes to the Wii U hardware this close to launch imagine what MS and Sony could change with another year. There are so many conficting rumours floating arround it's hard to get a good grasp on what is happening, especially on the Nintendo side, where even developers are giving mixed messages like the Darksiders 2 devs who at different times have said it was easy to develop for, more powerful and that they won't be upressing anything for the Wii U release. We won't really know where the three will stand until after they all lunch I guess. 

I don't think Epic themselves will be at Nintendo's E3 as they have said they have no plans to develop anything for the system. But there will be several UE3 games there, already confirmed are Batman: AC, Aliens: CM and I wouldn't be surprised to see Bioshock infinite and Borderlands 2 as well. Epic have said that they are going to be supporting UE3 on Wii U. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

zarx said:

It's all up in the air TBH I mean if Nintendo are making changes to the Wii U hardware this close to launch imagine what MS and Sony could change with another year. There are so many conficting rumours floating arround it's hard to get a good grasp on what is happening, especially on the Nintendo side, where even developers are giving mixed messages like the Darksiders 2 devs who at different times have said it was easy to develop for, more powerful and that they won't be upressing anything for the Wii U release. We won't really know where the three will stand until after they all lunch I guess. 

I don't think Epic themselves will be at Nintendo's E3 as they have said they have no plans to develop anything for the system. But there will be several UE3 games there, already confirmed are Batman: AC, Aliens: CM and I wouldn't be surprised to see Bioshock infinite and Borderlands 2 as well. Epic have said that they are going to be supporting UE3 on Wii U. 

Oh definitely. A huge amount depends on what Sony and MS do. If they go a more modest route or they try and outmuscle each other to try and make it so it's difficult to port to Wii U. 

Most of my info comes from reading some of the forums where developers or people with contact to them are posting. I do think the Wii U will be a different situation though. Already in this and other threads we have seen some people unable to tell the big differences between UE4 and high tier games from this generation. I have to wonder how big a difference to the mass market being Wii U power or 2-3x times more than that would actually make. 

I do think some confusion from developers about the Wii U's power seems to come from it having some quite specialized things going on. And a lot of gamers who are expecting it to just be the same or less powerful than 360/PS3 will be surprised at what it eventually does. People see the Zelda tech demo and don't think it's a big jump over what we have. However the funny thing about Nintendo is that unlike the other companies their tech demos are actually usually very underpowered compared to what we actually get lol. Usually tech demos are a load of BS and it takes years for games to even get near their quality, whereas Nintendo seem to low ball them lol

Yea it's definitely getting UE3 but I dunno something tells me UE4 is on the cards as well. Now Nintendo and Epic have a dialogue going I imagine Nintendo will be doing EVERYTHING to make sure UE4 works on the WIi U.

For anyone wondering about my zelda tech demo comment here is a great image someone made. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Zim said:

Oh definitely. A huge amount depends on what Sony and MS do. If they go a more modest route or they try and outmuscle each other to try and make it so it's difficult to port to Wii U. 

Most of my info comes from reading some of the forums where developers or people with contact to them are posting. I do think the Wii U will be a different situation though. Already in this and other threads we have seen some people unable to tell the big differences between UE4 and high tier games from this generation. I have to wonder how big a difference to the mass market being Wii U power or 2-3x times more than that would actually make. 

I do think some confusion from developers about the Wii U's power seems to come from it having some quite specialized things going on. And a lot of gamers who are expecting it to just be the same or less powerful than 360/PS3 will be surprised at what it eventually does. People see the Zelda tech demo and don't think it's a big jump over what we have. However the funny thing about Nintendo is that unlike the other companies their tech demos are actually usually very underpowered compared to what we actually get lol. Usually tech demos are a load of BS and it takes years for games to even get near their quality, whereas Nintendo seem to low ball them lol

Yea it's definitely getting UE3 but I dunno something tells me UE4 is on the cards as well. Now Nintendo and Epic have a dialogue going I imagine Nintendo will be doing EVERYTHING to make sure UE4 works on the WIi U.

For anyone wondering about my zelda tech demo comment here is a great image someone made. 

There is no doubt tht Nintendo has some of the best artists in the business and tech demoes don't usually have great art to go with them (the E3 Zelda demo does have some great art direction tho, the way that the models are built, animation and lighting is used is marsterful which makes me think that other than some AA there probably won't be a huge leap for the Wii U Zelda). Just look at the UE4 demo the clossup shot reveals some poor texture work, but on the technical side it's lighting and particles are byond anything I have ever seen in a game.

I can't wait to see what some talented artists can do with that level of tech, thousands of particles on screen plus fully real-time lighting and shadows should really remove a lot of restrictions for developers as well. Most games today use a lot of time consuming hacks to make games look good, "baking in" lighting and shadows etc and then having a few dynamic elements. A few games this gen have used a mostly real time aproach to lighting and shadows, games like Crysis and Battlefeild 3 but they lack great art direction, and still suffer limitations due to lacking power.

UE4 on Wii U will mostly come down to how scalable UE4 is, of course there is plenty of incentive to make UE4 as scalable as possible because that will mean it can be used on more platforms and they will be able to sell mor licenses. Of course graphics are only a small part of the new engine, Epic will have to (I hope) bring features like live editing across multiple platforms (like Cryengine 3) and other pipeline improvements to Wii U developers. Whether through UE4 or porting those features into an upgraded UE3.

Also one ellement of UE4 that hasn't been shown yet is the inclusion of the latest Apex clothing, phisics bassed animation and PhysX features (including dynamic destruction) that are built in. Which I bet will be showcassed in the E3 reveal video, which I bet are the elements that will blow people away.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

BenVTrigger said:
man-bear-pig said:
I wouldn't call those screenshots 'utterly mindblowing'.

Anyway, I cant wait for next gen games...

Did you not see that 2nd screenshot?  That's in engine - real time.  There litteraly has never been a game released even close to that in true actual real-time.  Not even close.

And these are just the VERY early prototype images.  It's clear Unreal Engine 4 is a massive leap over anything currently possible.

It looks very good yes, but I'm not sure I think it looks better than BattleField3 - Though I'm sure both engines are probably around equally capable - In different ways.

Check out my game about moles ^