By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll: What makes a title an AAA game?

Avinash_Tyagi said:
HappySqurriel said:

From my understanding of how people typically use the term AAA, I would define it as a "High profile game that is critically acclaimed (averages over 90%) and is a multi-million seller (typically selling over 5 Million units)" ...

Acclaimed by who?

Well, by "critically acclaimed" I was refering to game reviewers in general, and the average of over 90% would be on a site like Metacritic or Gamerankings.

Around the Network

An AAA game is one in which I have deemed to be.

Who cares if a game has a big budget, what matters is the quality of the game so AAA should be given to games that are amazing, regardless of budget or sales.

AAA game, is that game - reason, which makes MANY people to buy or want the system, where that game was released.

Thank you. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

It's the game that everyone wants... whether the game is any good or not it doesn't matter.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network

AAA is one of the default sets of letters for people too lazy to come up with a decent name along with asdf and qwerty.

An AAA game is a "system seller," plain and simple. Thus far this gen, we've had three (Wii Sports, Halo 3, Super Mario Galaxy), and likely with more to come.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Good question/s.  I'd have to say it's one term that i think has been thrown about a fraction too much as of late.  First i think it's necessary to distiguish between a AAA game and a blockbuster game, another poster game the Spiderman analogy, another example would have to be the Mario Party series.  Blockbuster; yes, AAA; no way.  Can a AAA game be a blockbuster, sure, but the reverse is not necessarily true.  I don't believe sales have to be part of the equation but obviously sales do determine which games we get to see sequels to and this in turn gives rise to what we might call AAA franchsises.  Games that have such a strong heritage that we assume they will be AAA before we even play them.  I would still argue that they are not actually AAA until they receive the official stamp of approval and the necessary critical acclaim.

No grand predictions, i'm just looking forward to playing some good games on my Wii.

MontanaHatchet said:
FOR THE LAST TIME, OKAMI DID NOT HAVE BAD SALES!!!!!

I LOL'ed

Garcian Smith said:
An AAA game is a "system seller," plain and simple. Thus far this gen, we've had three (Wii Sports, Halo 3, Super Mario Galaxy), and likely with more to come.

No, a "system seller" is a blockbuster game, not AAA.

The term AAA originally applied to the version of a game in it's release. AAA has nothing to do with sales, but some people started to twisting the meaning  of Triple-A.