By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 6 month Launch Windows

TheSource said:
On a World Wide basis, I think Wii is slightly ahead of PS2.  But I don't have 5/6 month figures for Europe/Others.  In Japan, PS2 was slightly ahead of Wii at this point in it's launch I think.

Saturn was the worst WW. In Japan the Saturn had aslightly better launch than the PS but not by over a million. Also the PS was from an unestablished game company going up the than big Sega which flopped in the US> The Saturn was very expensive for its time and it died fast after the launch window.

The PS2 launched in Japan only for 6 months allowing for a larger launch there without having to supply otehr countries. If you want to compare the first six months of availability you wouold have to only use the Japanese numbers. the Wii has the largest WW launch ever. It is only marginally behind the PS2 in Japan and it is ahead of the PS2 in the US andEurope woudl have to be aguess. No console has ever sold like the Wii with supply constraints still an issue at launch for the first six months.

PS1 built a solid user base during the quiet US period while holding its own against teh Saturn in Japan.

GC launch died within 2 months

N64 Launch died in  3 months BTW the N64 did pretty good in the US

neither the GC nor N64 actually was ever in first place for total sales nor were they close.

What does the PS3 offer that will make it suddenly turn around. 600 is too much, 500 is too much, 400 is gettting there. What games will come for it that the 360 doesn't have and be more significant thatn say Goldeneye 64, Mario 64, Zelda OOT, or Mario kart 64? Those are the best selling games of the N64/PS1 era and it didn't save the N64. Even if MGS4 is that Great(I am expecting it to be great but not THAT great) do you really think it will move more systems than Goldeneye?