By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Exit polls show dual setback for Austerity: France and Greece

sadly the communist and nazi party in Greece got now + 18% of the votes.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
Mnementh said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Mnementh said:
Politics of Austerity is bringing economy down. What needed is balance, but over the course of the last 10-15 years the austerity was given highest priority without any sense to it. That has led to more poor people, poor people spend less, that's why economy is going down and tax-backflow is reducing. That leads to more governmental debts, that lead to a stronger austerity-course, that leads to more hurts for the economy ... until crisis right now.

It's good austerity get's kicked to be replaced by a more balanced politics.

Err... what?

I'm hoping you meant months.

No. 1998 became here in Germany Schröder the new chancellor. In his government formed by social democrats and green party he  created 'Hartz IV'-laws, that changed the job-market. It should reduce governmental payings for unemployed people and reduce unemployment. Unemployment wasn't too much impacted, but following this laws the salary for jobs were reducing (as the pressure was increased to work for lower payment) and therefore the tax-returns were hurt. Other laws did point in the same direction. Since then, we always have laws trying to reduce governmental payments a save money, but it leads to hurt economics.

Oh, you mean just in Germany. The best performing country of the Eurozone.

Best performing for the financial world but certainly not for the people.

Wow I'm just glad Canada isn't this messed up...yet. We're supposed to finally have a balanced budget within the next few years.

Europe needs to embrace austerity before the entire continent goes broke.

TadpoleJackson said:
I don't follow French politics, at all. Why don't people like Sarkozy? I'd assume any French leader who doesn't get invaded a successful one

Best post ever!

I wonder what will happen in Greece. Austerity hasn't been too popular there. I can see them leaving the Eurozone and I doubt they will be the only country that leaves.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

SamuelRSmith said:

The other countries in europe mostly did go similar directions. Look Great Britain or Iceland for instance. It did go extremely bad for Iceland. And germany is only performing somewhat good, because is exports more than it imports. But that cannot be sustainable, as the money won in that way has to be reinvested, further helping to build bubbles. As these bubbles burst the accumulated money is lost and germany is left with - less than before.

It was quite the opposite in the UK. We borrowed masses of money and spent huge amounts, building up masses of debts and causing a huge budget deficit. The government/public sector grew massively. No real austerity measures until recent years.

TadpoleJackson said:
I don't follow French politics, at all. Why don't people like Sarkozy? I'd assume any French leader who doesn't get invaded a successful one

Honestly, it all started bad with the day he was elected.  Rather then meet with the people immediatly as was traditional he instead went to a party held by wealth supporters.  People saw it as him being in the hands of the wealthy.

Weeks later it was found out the reason he had done this was that he and his wife were getting a divorce, but she had agreed to stick with him for a month or two after the election

His wife couldn't be found and he didn't want the embarresment of showing up without his wife.  It was however too late after that and the table was set... a collection of blunders later, and France elected someone largely because he wasn't sarkozy. (Seriously, that's what the polls showed for the first election... most hollande votes were because he wasn't Sarkozy.)

Mnementh said:

SamuelRSmith said:

The other countries in europe mostly did go similar directions. Look Great Britain or Iceland for instance. It did go extremely bad for Iceland. And germany is only performing somewhat good, because is exports more than it imports. But that cannot be sustainable, as the money won in that way has to be reinvested, further helping to build bubbles. As these bubbles burst the accumulated money is lost and germany is left with - less than before.

No they didn't... most countries went in the exact opposite direction... including Great Britian.

Iceland had a combined stimulus/austerity plan where they had stimulus spending and austerity by cutting other aspects of government... and honestly have fared best among countries to have defaulted or almost defaulted.  (Although I think this is probably due more to the structure of their debt.  Icelands economic troubles were caused mostly by their "too big to fail" private banks.  VS most of Europe and say... Venezula who's problems were there governments spent way more then they could afford.)

Kasz216 said:

Honestly, it all started bad with the day he was elected.  Rather then meet with the people immediatly as was traditional he instead went to a party held by wealth supporters.  People saw it as him being in the hands of the wealthy.

Weeks later it was found out the reason he had done this was that he and his wife were getting a divorce, but she had agreed to stick with him for a month or two after the election

His wife couldn't be found and he didn't want the embarresment of showing up without his wife.  It was however too late after that and the table was set... a collection of blunders later, and France elected someone largely because he wasn't sarkozy. (Seriously, that's what the polls showed for the first election... most hollande votes were because he wasn't Sarkozy.)

Ah, ok, thanks for explaining! 

Kasz216 said:
TadpoleJackson said:

To be honest, I'm surprised Sarkozy wasn't beaten by a larger margin. Before the election Hollande seemed to have unified the support from the left whilst Sarkozy struggled to get the extreme right on board.